PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r, 06 yfz450, or 06 tld pred can't decide

03yfz450
10-13-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm looking for a new quad. i had a banshee, and 400ex. i'm looking to upgrade to a new sport quad. i race on the weekends and i'm going to start to race gncc next yr. i still do alot of trail riding. I'm not sure what quad i want to get.

03yfz450
10-13-2005, 06:59 PM
i'm about 6 ft 150bls

cdrookie
10-13-2005, 07:34 PM
outlaw!

honestly don't let anyone else decide what you should buy. they're not gonna pay for it, pay on it, or buy it if you don't like it.
ride all 3 and make your own decision.

Syrus
10-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Anyone got the outlaw yet and tested that badboy ???? i wanna see how it performs.

03yfz450
10-13-2005, 09:22 PM
i'm not able to ride all three. i want a axle. i kinda don't want the a outlaw they looking alsome though. i'm just looking for some advise to help me decide.

MAaudioX10
10-13-2005, 10:24 PM
I like my Pred a lot....

I owned an 03' and when it came time to buy, yet, another one...I looked at the 450's and thought it through.

Here's is what I realized. The 450's are more money. Have, IMO, horrible wheels and tires (eye soars), short weak axles, little to no fender protection, and small. So, I would have to spend, yep, more money to make them half the quad my 03 was...literally.

So, I bought an 05' Predator....premium wheels and tires, STRONG axle (life time warrenty) 47.5" long, plenty of fender protection, and it doesn't feel like I am riding a 50.

Reverse is a huge plus if you are racing GNCC....

Mine is far from stock anymore....but, I still wouldn't trade a stock Predator for anything!

rancid
10-13-2005, 10:27 PM
yfz dammit.

MR.BIG
10-22-2005, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAaudioX10
[B]I like my Pred a lot....

I owned an 03' and when it came time to buy, yet, another one...I looked at the 450's and thought it through.

Here's is what I realized. The 450's are more money. Have, IMO, horrible wheels and tires (eye soars), short weak axles, little to no fender protection, and small. So, I would have to spend, yep, more money to make them half the quad my 03 was...literally.

That to me is a very bias opinion! The 450's are faster than a predator, I have had no problems with the stock axle, the tires are meant for trail riding not racing so you do get roll in the corners, as far as fender protection no problems either if you don't want to get dirty by a 4X4. I would say ride each of them and decide, I can say from riding them all myself the pred would be last on my list unless I did strictly slow trail riding!

MAaudioX10
10-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAaudioX10
[B]I like my Pred a lot....

That to me is a very bias opinion! The 450's are faster than a predator, I have had no problems with the stock axle, the tires are meant for trail riding not racing so you do get roll in the corners, as far as fender protection no problems either if you don't want to get dirty by a 4X4. I would say ride each of them and decide, I can say from riding them all myself the pred would be last on my list unless I did strictly slow trail riding!

Of course I am bias! I own a Predator...legally, I own 2.

The only 450R that I found to be faster than a Predator are heavily modded ones. If we are talking moto-cross, then that would apply, but I don't moto-cross nor do I have the desire to. Thus, why I have a Predator.

However, compared to the Predator, the stock axles on the Honda ARE weak. Just because you have not had any problems doesn't change the fact. Another thing I don't understand is that you say the tires on the 450R are meant for trails but, the 450R is a purpose built quad. Directly marketed to compete with the YFZ. So, why develop a mx bike with cc tires??

Although, calling me "very bias" is like the pot calling the kettle black. I find your entire reply extremely bias!

Tom TRX250R
10-29-2005, 08:46 PM
I have personally ridden all of these models. For MX I would recommend the YFZ just due to the way it is setup. The YFZ likes to be ridden fast so it is more for open areas and MX IMO than suitable for trails. I have ridden an '03 TLD Predator and I thought it was a great quad. The motor like high revs like a 2 stroke which I am used too. The rear end liked to slide sideways, it felt like the rear end weighed 5 libs. and the front end was where all the weight was. It was a great handling quad and overall I was impressed with it. The 450R is a another great choice for trail riding, though the first couple gears are geared a little tall but nothing a front sprocket change wouldn't change. The 450R is also lighter, If it were me I would go look at a couple used quads in your local paper and ride them so you can feel what your the most comfortable on.

MR.BIG
11-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by MAaudioX10
Of course I am bias! I own a Predator...legally, I own 2.

The only 450R that I found to be faster than a Predator are heavily modded ones. If we are talking moto-cross, then that would apply, but I don't moto-cross nor do I have the desire to. Thus, why I have a Predator.

However, compared to the Predator, the stock axles on the Honda ARE weak. Just because you have not had any problems doesn't change the fact. Another thing I don't understand is that you say the tires on the 450R are meant for trails but, the 450R is a purpose built quad. Directly marketed to compete with the YFZ. So, why develop a mx bike with cc tires??

Although, calling me "very bias" is like the pot calling the kettle black. I find your entire reply extremely bias!

Have you ever seen a machine come off the showroom floor and get raced with the stock tires. It's kind of like this new suzuki coming out race ready but it doesn't have nerf bars and some other items you need to race. I have nothing against the predator but they are slow and heavy against the 450's on a motorcross track. It may be even in the woods but it really depends on the type of riding you will be doing. Ride them all and then decide!

MAaudioX10
11-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Have you ever seen a machine come off the showroom floor and get raced with the stock tires. It's kind of like this new suzuki coming out race ready but it doesn't have nerf bars and some other items you need to race. I have nothing against the predator but they are slow and heavy against the 450's on a motorcross track. It may be even in the woods but it really depends on the type of riding you will be doing. Ride them all and then decide!

Heck, I'll be the first one to admit that a 450 will take a Pred on a motocross track.....

No worries tho...when I bought both of my Preds, it wasn't for motocross...I am a rec rider...may do a few harescrambles but, most of my riding is recreational just like the other 85% that own atvs...

ATV_Mo17
11-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Anyone see that the Predator beat the YFZ450 and TRX450 in the racing portion of the ********.com stock shootout at the Maxxis 12 Hour race last weekend? I heard the only thing Polaris did to the quad the whole race was a chain adjustment. Pretty solid if you ask me. I think I may hold off for the Outlaw though. I don't spend any time on the MX tracks.

MAaudioX10
11-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by ATV_Mo17
Anyone see that the Predator beat the YFZ450 and TRX450 in the racing portion of the ********.com stock shootout at the Maxxis 12 Hour race last weekend? I heard the only thing Polaris did to the quad the whole race was a chain adjustment. Pretty solid if you ask me. I think I may hold off for the Outlaw though. I don't spend any time on the MX tracks.

Consider me shocked!:eek2:

Kovatch
11-22-2005, 10:30 AM
My friends have a race team comprised of all Predators. One friend has a YFZ450, another with a 450r and i have the LTZ400. We all raced ATVA nationals, and hit almost every race.

Here is my take:
MY Predator friends HAVE TO and CAN ONLY race in the Open class b/c of the CC limitations. If you want to race in all other classes you will not be able to because you have too many cc's. All of their motors (predator guys) are 560s with one being a 580. One has the (580cc motor) HPD +3intake & +2 exhaust head, one with +1, +1. All of them are fully laid out with all the mods, high comp pistons, carb, port and polish, full exhaust, cams, LT suspension, etc etc.

The YFZ and honda are both laid out suspension wise with only High comp pistons P&P, and cams. we have switch bikes & ridden them on our tracks and consistently the YFZ and Honda run quicker times. On the tracks, watchin them at the nationals, the Predator doesn't seem to have all the power the YFZ does. I have seen a fully bored out YFZ with everything in the motor and it spanked the 580 with the largest HPD head, where both riders are A class and equals to each other.

Out of the box, i think the predator is better, plug in for kill switch, mega strong axle, race tires, amazing shocks, just ready for racing. If i had to pick from my experience i would go with a yahama. sorry! I think the Polaris is one h3LL of a machine but compared to the competition (non pro-riders), i think the Polaris cannot stay with the competition.

KOG
11-23-2005, 06:46 AM
i have and 06 450r and i love it i draged a yfz the other day and we were neck and neck so anyone who says stock vs stock with these and says they beat who ever by 3 quad lengths is lying

the predator
11-24-2005, 05:58 AM
i tdepend on who doe syour motor work an dhow it's assymbled..the wrong porting and clearances can rob you of hp and torque quicker than anything else...the pred is a good machine i had on for almost 3 years with no major problems....i've even had a heavily modded motor fro almost 2 years with the same minmal probs....they are heavy and they are wide...but durability can't be beat..i rode a 06 450er today and didn't like it..constanly shifting and the shocks sucked..but the power was smooth and the ergos are great...but the crf motor had more noises coming out of it then the pred motors...even my big bore with piston slap....i shouldn't actually say i didn't like it...but there were things i liked and things i hated...if i were to get a 450 it owuld be an 05 r ....it really depends on how much $$ you're willing to invest and what type of riding is gonna be done to justify which would be best....but for drag racing the pred rules with the right motor builder and assymbly and rider with good reaction times...from my research the 450's are built to almost the max from the factory and when you go big bore and other stuff it reall puts a big factor onthe engine..now my pred the only thing i did to the bottom end was balance the crank and eveything has held up...

wolffie
12-30-2005, 11:09 AM
i ride with guys who have yfz's, 450r, 400ex, and 660 rappys. i personally own a 2005 TLD pred, and i really like it. thats not to say it is perfect. im about 6ft 215lbs, and the pred does fit me well.
some of my friends who are little smaller say that it is relatively bulky to handle. i cant really disagree in their respects, but for me it is great. it is incredibly wide, the Fox Shocks are down right amazing once you adjust the preload, and it is plenty fast. it goes around 70-75 stock, depending on the rider. the only problems i have found are the stock intake blows balls. there is a boot that stretches out from the carb and connects with the lid of the air box. this prohibits you from making alot of mods with the stock box. also, the airfilter is paper square similiar to a car. if you are like me, and dont ride in heavy mud, a K@n clamp on is the way to go! rather than that, the only other problem is the gearing. you see, the 05 TLD accelerates great, but there is a pocket in the gearing. once you get to fourth gear there is a 15-18mph difference to 5th! you really need to ping the RPm's in the 4th when shifting to 5th. those are my two big complaints.

Lets be honest guys. in a stock set up (NO MODS) the 450's will eat up a Pred on a MOTOCROSS course. on the trails, depending on how narrow they are, i personally feel it will come down to the driver. the pred handles very well, and has reverse if you get stuck. i realize many people will disagree with this, but i believe the pred handles very well through the woods (not to say the 450's dont)
Depending on your desires for a new quad will really make a difference. you say you already have a 400ex and a shee, do i dont really know what you want to do. if you are serious about doing some mx, i would go with a 450. they are lighter, quicker, and set up more for racing. if you want a quad for a multi purpose riding, a little racing, rec, gncc, i would go with the Pred. depending on the mods you put in the pred, you can really customize it for your needs!!!! hope this helps.

smokinwrench
12-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
if you want a quad for a multi purpose riding, a little racing, rec, gncc, i would go with the Pred. depending on the mods you put in the pred, you can really customize it for your needs!!!! hope this helps.

You just described my riding habits perfectly. I race 4-7 times per year and ride the dunes a lot. So I bought a 2005 Troy Lee tonight I also ordered a new intake system for it, I think it was a twin air.

wolffie
12-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Glad i could help man! yeah, it is a great machine you should really enjoy it! make sure you change the oil after the first gas tank or so, because it runs through the clutch as well! that is what the dealer told me, and they were right!

450Redrider5
01-02-2006, 02:13 PM
450R:devil:

Dune Surfer
02-28-2006, 10:42 PM
YZF all the way. I love my pred bu the YZF beats it in every way.

wolffie
03-01-2006, 12:33 PM
^^pretty much:ermm: the pred is great for bigger buys. plus the TLD model comes stock with nice shocks, axle, and a beefy frame (so you dont need to invest that money into another quad)

for trails, the pred is a blast! hell, pretty much for anything the pred is freaking sweet. but, everything the pred can do for the most part, the 450's will be quicker at it. not necesarilly better, but quicker!

that is probably the best way to sum up the pred IMO:D

450rJam
03-05-2006, 07:02 PM
"the predator" said to get an 05 ? the changes in the 05 to 06 are like night and day, to suggest the 05 over 06 makes me wonder if you rode the 06. in stock form its as quick if not faster than the 05 with hrc. the pred. looks really cool better than my 450r but looks are not the base i use to pick mine. you cant go wrong with any of the mentioned quads but if it comes down to the 450r dont settle for the 05.

03-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ATV_Mo17

the pred came in last brosph :mad:

calds650
03-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by 450rhonda-dude

last in point first in the race :D

GE4x4
03-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by 450rhonda-dude

Yey it's funny how the Pred came in last in points, was raced by 450R and YFZ owners and riders and no Predator owners, yet won the race. Go figure.:eek2:

450rJam
03-06-2006, 09:05 PM
does that mean 450r and yfz riders can ride better than pred riders ? i mean the pred riders lose but put a honda/yammy rider on them and they perform ?.....................
ok ok dont burn me im just kidding. those predators are nice rides

Bradracer18
03-07-2006, 06:09 AM
Not really bashing too much here fellas.....I agree with about everything said above.....but please remember some details from around where I live.....

Matt Nicholas got 1st in A class Motorcorss
Anthony Head 2nd(I think) in B? class moto
A guy got 3-5th in the iowa harescramble series in A class
Daryl Rath is beginning to win more and more in TT racing
Doug Nicholas is winning all of the local drags by a long shot
Matt Smiley got 3rd? in GNCC racing.

wolffie
03-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
Not really bashing too much here fellas.....I agree with about everything said above.....but please remember some details from around where I live.....

Matt Nicholas got 1st in A class Motorcorss
Anthony Head 2nd(I think) in B? class moto
A guy got 3-5th in the iowa harescramble series in A class
Daryl Rath is beginning to win more and more in TT racing
Doug Nicholas is winning all of the local drags by a long shot
Matt Smiley got 3rd? in GNCC racing.

i agree with you man, however, All the Nicholas sponsored preds are FAR AWAY from stock! they do so much to the engine,(574, 600 ported and polished) it is unbeliavable. i heard one of their sponsored riders slimmed down a pred to 350lbs!!! that is absolutely insane!

450rJam
03-08-2006, 07:52 PM
I will say this, if you get the pred. it will stand out alot more, seems everyone has the honda/yamaha

440exking
03-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Go with the 06 450R it pulls real hard expecially with the hrc kit.