PDA

View Full Version : Any other ball joints fit Burgards arms?

bad01300ex
10-13-2005, 06:41 PM
im really trying to avoid reaming the spindles, do you know if there are any other kinds of ball joints i could use that would fit burgards arms?? like the lonestar rec arm ball joints or maybe those regreaslbe omi joints?
Thanks

Pappy
10-13-2005, 06:46 PM
not that im aware of. reaming the spindles is gravy.

bad01300ex
10-13-2005, 06:49 PM
ok well i tried

ive got a guy over on yfzcentral that is upgrading to some lt from the burgards and hes got the spindles reamed which i need and ive got the stock ones he needs, should i trade him or could it be sketchy as far as his job at reaming?

Pappy
10-13-2005, 07:08 PM
id always suggest checking out any one online when doing a deal, but if he seems like an ok dude go for it.

bad01300ex
10-13-2005, 08:22 PM
ok well ive almost got my motor fixed and im so ready to ride im just gonna ream them myself

I hate to keep bothering but, could you give me a little detail on how to do it.

From what ive gathered i go buy a "step bit" from home depot etc and drill it out till it fits, thats all i know.

How does the bit work, is it expensive, and will this leave a smooth taper or what???

Thanks for your help pappy!!!!!

Pappy
10-13-2005, 09:20 PM
a step bit looks like a pyramid. it goes from a point (small) and tapers up to a larger size. you drill from the bottom of the spindle(bottom side)and then from the top on the upper side(just think how the ball joint fits in to the spindle)

you go in slowly and test it. when she fits sung you are done. the stock ball joints have a straight shaft, and the burgards are tapered. all your doing is reshaping the spindle to fit the taper.

bad01300ex
10-14-2005, 07:35 AM
ok thanks

and what size bit should i get, i googled "step drill bit" and ive found they come in a variety of sizes, which one to buy??

Pappy
10-14-2005, 08:09 AM
honestly i dont remeber what size we use. i have sevral of them.

id measure the opening and get one that tapers to a touch larger.

they arent that expensive, buy a couple, they are a great tool to have around!

bad01300ex
10-14-2005, 11:41 AM
alright.

agian thanks for all the help!!!