PDA

View Full Version : Not even a month with my license and already a bad crash.

400exstud
10-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Well last friday my school had a half day for homecomming and I was driving my best friend to my house because he sayed over that weekend. On our way home (about a mile from my house) we were traveling down a country road doing the speed limit, 55mph. I travel this route everyday so I am used to people comming up the the cross roads, stopping, and waiting until I pass but this time was different. As we neared the intersection I told my friend "she better stop" which she started to do so I had nothing to worry about. The 73 year old woman ended up doing a 2 mph rolling stop and when I got to about 75-50 ft away from the intersection she goes for it.

The Crash
I ended up slamming on the brakes and slowly moved over to the shoulder of the road (so I wouldn't broadside her). I ended up hitting her Chrysler 300M at about the from left wheelwell, spinning her around a few times. Because I had moved over so far to the right and the force of the impact my truck ('97 F-150) along with my friend and I go flying into the 5' deep ditch. Not 1 airbag between both her car and my truck went off.

Conclusion
I ended up fine with a sprained wrist. My friend got away without a scratch. The woman wanted an ambulince and was treated and released later that day. The front of her car was scattered among the intersection. My truck suffered $6,900 worth of damage because when we hit the ditch the frame twisted and the front suspension was rammed back.

Lesson: Wear your seatbelts. Neither my friend nor I and probably the elderly lady would not be here if we hadn't been wearing them. Please buckle up!

Syrus
10-13-2005, 03:23 PM
So it was ruled as her fualt ? Any word if your insurance will be effected?

MR.BIG
10-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Insurance always goes up no matter who's fault it is!

zeppelin
10-13-2005, 03:50 PM
not if your 16, there some rule some where that you can use to stop the insureance companies for raising your insurance if your 16 and had a wreck

SGA
10-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Whats good- Im glad everyones ok.

Whats really good- Making a long post easy to read by using correct spelling and punctuation.

RaptorRacer45
10-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Old peope are the worst drivers out there....73 years old, thats rediculous 2 be causing a wreck, after all they should be experienced...anyway i think after 60 or sometin people should have 2 retake a driving test to maintain there licenses....Elderly Drivers Should be Parked or made sure they can still handle the road

2002400ex
10-13-2005, 04:32 PM
My sisters insurance didnt go up when we had a wreck.

WHLNWGN
10-13-2005, 05:08 PM
I too agree that old people suck at the drivering.
They should be BANNED after 65 unless they can pass an exam every year for qualification.

I have so many heated run in's with the confused elderly driver here in N.Ca. They can't half hear, have worse reaction times than a person high on pot and drunk at the same time, and generally have poor vision.

If you are a healthy alert senior, then you should have no trouble passing the annual exam. I feel this would only be a fair response to the fact that a teenaged driver has to be accompanied by a responsible mature adult in the interim of their driving career.
This was created in attempts to curb teenaged deaths, and injuries caused by an irresponsible driver behind the wheel.

Irresponsible is being aware of something, yet choosing not to take heed.

When you are confused, you have no clue, and irresponsibility is irrelevent.

Sorry for the rant

AtvMxRider
10-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by WHLNWGN
I too agree that old people suck at the drivering.
They should be BANNED after 65 unless they can pass an exam every year for qualification.

Well when you turn 65 lets see how you feel when someone says you should be banned for something because you are old:rolleyes:

rwhitaker04
10-13-2005, 07:06 PM
so you are saying that cause they are confused when they drive, drive a little under the speed limit if not the speed limit...and arent all wickedly over the road they should be deprived of their driving privledges? So what should we do to the girls who drive around putting on makeup tryin to make their self look good for some lucky guy thats taking them out or going to a party and they are all over the road? Should they have to take a test? Or the guy who cuts off traffic every time he drives..is that correct driving? Should he have his license revoked, and have to take test every year...Driving is something u got to pay attention to...not just yourself but others...everyone makes mistakes and everyones not as good as you...tough break.....

p.s. what should the older people who drive over the speed limit and do everything right and u have no compliants get done to them?

250rAL
10-13-2005, 07:29 PM
It couldn't have been that bad if no airbags went off.

wvspeedfreak
10-13-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm sure someone can look up the statistics but I'd be willing to bet there are alot more careless young drivers than old ones.

AtvMxRider
10-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I'm sure someone can look up the statistics but I'd be willing to bet there are alot more careless young drivers than old ones.

Amen brotha

Atkins
10-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I know no one follows the rule, and I know I didnt, so Im not gonna bust your balls about it because I think its a stupid rule myself. But were you considered at fault for driving someone within the first 6 months? I have no idea what your state laws are or if you even have that law.

TheFontMaster
10-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Personaly I am all for old people taking a road test every year. There was this one guy that would come into the drug store that I worked at, this one old guy always came in, he had to use a walker, you could barley make out what he was saying, and you had to practucaly yell at him to have him hear you. And ether me or one of the other guys I worked with had to get half of the stuff he wanted to buy. Really no offence to the guy at all, but I don't want someone who can barley control his own actions behinde the wheel of a 3500 pund vehicle.

LTZ400rider
10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
i was in the car with my granmom and some dude passed us cuz she was driver like 25 under

a few weeks ago she wrecked her car cuz she asked my granpop to see if anythings coming, and hes half blind. bad call

anytime im behind a old person or some1 with a handicap license plate they always drive 10 under and take 5 minutes to turn, 9 out of 10 and im not bein prejudice this is the facts. usually when i see a driver like this i just pass them

MOFO
10-14-2005, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by MR.BIG

Wrong!

LT250Racer609
10-14-2005, 04:02 PM
i got rear ended last year by a girl my age (18) and it was the day i got my new camaro (98) and when she rear ended me and i got out i thought i was going to murder her because she hit me so hard i went flying forward....i go look at the back of my car and theres a little black mark...i just basically pointed and laughed at her because her whole front end was smashed:blah: sucks for her i guess...it was her fault

10-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by MR.BIG

pretty much, some insurance companies give "first accident forgiveness" Ive been in 4 accidents, none my fault, my insurance went up all times.

MOFO
10-15-2005, 08:05 AM
LMAO.... wrong again.

Case in point. My wife has been re-ended twice in the past 3 years. Just sitting at a redlight and bam, the guy behind her was not looking and smacked her car. Causing over 10k in damage both times.

Here insurance has NOT gone up. Heck, since we got married, its only gone down!

QuadJunkies
10-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Personaly I am all for old people taking a road test every year. me too,maybe not EVERY year but Bi- yearly .I dont think all old people shoudlnt be alllowed, but more overall tests I feel wouldnt be a bad idea, I have seen some that I know should have had there licences gone for lack of vision and hearing ,there sometimes sooooo sllooowww ,there reaction times are a bit slower as well. I watched a show about this once , a big majority of them tested-failed :( I also think it would be hard for them too, losing your self independants would be tough relying on others for Transportation

Im also up for young kids doing the same until they reach a little bit more age ,respect and responsibility on the road...

stiffy
10-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Ya kind of sound like a dick maybe his insurance is different. My husband and I have been in 3 wrecks and none where our fault and our insurance didn't go up either but maybe his will.

Originally posted by MOFO
LMAO.... wrong again.

Case in point. My wife has been re-ended twice in the past 3 years. Just sitting at a redlight and bam, the guy behind her was not looking and smacked her car. Causing over 10k in damage both times.

Here insurance has NOT gone up. Heck, since we got married, its only gone down!

MOFO
10-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by stiffy
Ya kind of sound like a dick maybe his insurance is different. My husband and I have been in 3 wrecks and none where our fault and our insurance didn't go up either but maybe his will.

no, I'm not a "dick" as you put it. Sometimes people just get sick and tired of the ignorance.

If someone's insurance goes up and it was NOT their fault, the other insurance company (person at fault) covers ALL charges 100%, why in the world would you stick with them?

If you are rear ended, please explain how they can justify raising YOUR rates?

My good friend has his own insurance company and he broker's out all different company's... none of his would do this. I have personally been with 3 insurance company's - local and national agents - none of them would do this.

Keep in mind, my frame of reference is being "rear ended by someone else".

I use this example to debunk the generalized statement made above "Insurance always goes up no matter who's fault it is! ". This is a false statement.

If me posting, "Wrong" and getting a chuckle out of it makes me a "dick", so be it. :)

MOFO
10-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

Im also up for young kids doing the same until they reach a little bit more age ,respect and responsibility on the road...

I absolutely agree with you. If I was 16/17 when you said this, I'd say your nuts... but now that I've spent a good 10+ years driving... I agree with you! :D

JDiablo
10-15-2005, 12:34 PM
I absolutely agree with you. If I was 16/17 when you said this, I'd say your nuts... but now that I've spent a good 10+ years driving... I agree with you! :D

I can agree with you there,even though in three months i get my liscense,i've seen to much crap happen,but they can change it as long as i get my liscence before they change it :devil:

Mxjunkie
10-15-2005, 01:02 PM

lmfao chit half of us are going to have a hard time passing it once let alone a couple times, I do agree though, us kids specially the ones who ride mx and such we have the lead foot sickness, its tempting sitting at a redlight to race the guy next to you till the next redlight lol... just like at the gate to the first turn.

that and kids on wet roads isnt good cause we spin dounuts and slide all around in corners the entire day.

QuadJunkies
10-15-2005, 02:50 PM

D@mn, we must be getting old!! :o :p

I used to have a lead foot as a kid too once,(well.... Still do to a certain extent, MUCH MORE precautious now ) I remember my 1st car(a Nova) 1st day in Junior high took my car out racing on the country roads once, hit some gravel on a road that didnt used to have gravel, spun it around, darn near flipped it, and get this..................... it landed right in front of the local Cemetary!! :huh

Now THERES a dose of reality!!

AtvMxRider
10-15-2005, 03:19 PM

Now THERES a does of reality!!

Dose:devil: Damn blondes

QuadJunkies
10-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Dose:devil: Damn blondes I REALLY need to start proof reading first ... :o :p
Bah..

I know ya love me Jerry :D ;)

10-15-2005, 06:09 PM
no, I'm not a "dick" as you put it. Sometimes people just get sick and tired of the ignorance.

If someone's insurance goes up and it was NOT their fault, the other insurance company (person at fault) covers ALL charges 100%, why in the world would you stick with them?

If you are rear ended, please explain how they can justify raising YOUR rates?

My good friend has his own insurance company and he broker's out all different company's... none of his would do this. I have personally been with 3 insurance company's - local and national agents - none of them would do this.

Keep in mind, my frame of reference is being "rear ended by someone else".

I use this example to debunk the generalized statement made above "Insurance always goes up no matter who's fault it is! ". This is a false statement.

If me posting, "Wrong" and getting a chuckle out of it makes me a "dick", so be it. :)

"WRONG" if you are in an accident NOT your fault, your insurance company puts up half for personal injury, and the other insurance company puts up half. Unless my insurance agent was lying, which I HIGHLY doubt.

10-15-2005, 06:14 PM
I forgot to add, the reason they can go up is because they believe that there is something you could have done to avoid the accident. Maybe it didnt go up is because you were rear ended, there is nothing you could have done, but if I was cut off, and it was settled as not my fault, they could say that I could have been driving slower, had a longer leading distance then what I had, etc....

MOFO
10-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by chuck wood
"WRONG" if you are in an accident NOT your fault, your insurance company puts up half for personal injury, and the other insurance company puts up half. Unless my insurance agent was lying, which I HIGHLY doubt.

Maybe he lies like you do. :confused:

Anyways, I was using the example of being rear-ended. Both times our medical bills were 100% covered by the other party at fault. They even paid our deductible because we choose a repair shop that only our insurance would cover. Our insurance paid the bill, then the guy at fault, his insurance reimbursed our insurance for the ENTIRE cost - EVERY cent!

So your WRONG Chucked!

I'm finished with this thread, its like talking to a wall. :rolleyes:

AtvMxRider
10-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by chuck wood
I forgot to add, the reason they can go up is because they believe that there is something you could have done to avoid the accident. Maybe it didnt go up is because you were rear ended, there is nothing you could have done, but if I was cut off, and it was settled as not my fault, they could say that I could have been driving slower, had a longer leading distance then what I had, etc....

How long have you been driving a week? That is not how it works:rolleyes:

AtvMxRider
10-15-2005, 09:05 PM

I know ya love me Jerry :D ;)

You know I do

red
10-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I yell about old people too but usually they are alot better drivers then all of the 16-18 year old drivers out there. Yes elderly should be made to take a test every year or so but until you are 18 you should be made to drive a 4 cylinder front wheel drive car with less then 100 horse power.:eek2: Most of these young kids driving ( I did it too) go out and drive like nuts and think they own the road and this pisses me off just as much as the old people who drive 20 in a 45. Moniter old and young is the best outcome.

10-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by RaptorRacer45
Old peope are the worst drivers out there....73 years old, thats rediculous 2 be causing a wreck, after all they should be experienced...anyway i think after 60 or sometin people should have 2 retake a driving test to maintain there licenses....Elderly Drivers Should be Parked or made sure they can still handle the road

to all of us this seems like a great idea, I don't get why the government can't catch on.... Old drivers have pissed me SOOOO many times...doin like 40 on the interstate or always pullin out in front of people..

10-16-2005, 07:04 AM
maybe its different in other states but that is how it works here. Give my insurance company a call and ask them (410) 663-8600

stiffy
10-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Jeez MOFO don't get your panties in a bunch. I think that's great what your insurance did for you. It seems like you are putting way too much feelings into this subject no one else is getting all butt hurt. Insurance companies don't work all the same.

Atkins
10-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
that and kids on wet roads isnt good cause we spin dounuts and slide all around in corners the entire day.

Wow, thats funny you say that. It just rained for 9 days straight(straight people, meaning it stopped for maybe an hour every day if that) and thats all I did was practice may drifting skills in every corner with my truck. God Bless Rear Wheel Drive.:macho