PDA

View Full Version : For Anyone Who has Read "Huck Finn"

CaptainCanuck
10-13-2005, 11:10 AM
My teacher just assigned me a huge essay on the story Huck Finn. I know that a lot of American Schools study this book (or just read it) so I thought that alot of you guys could help me it.

The assignment is that I have to examine the differences between Huck and Jim's experiences on the raft and their experiences in civilization.

I got a few starters for this paper, but she said it has to be long and very informative and I can't come up with any more examples. Help is really needed. Thanks alot.

tater_kamik
10-13-2005, 11:15 AM
well, you can always do a long discussion on tolerance, which can go into not only race but also tolerance of religions in todays modern world.

Plante400
10-13-2005, 11:20 AM
we got in deep with that story when i read it in school
mostly about race and how hucks perspective changed throughou the story- for example he was pretty much RACIST when he first met jum then look he ended up getting jim free at the end

also try using bookrags.com if u want summarys of chapters instead of reading the whole thing
most of the time it points out all of the important things anyways..

goodluck

wilkin250r
10-13-2005, 12:04 PM
If you want to score big points, use the river.

Hucks journey down the river is parallel to his journey within himself, growing up and recognizing Jim as a person, rather than just a slave. It symbolizes his transformation from a boy to a man.

In the beginning, Huck viewed Jim in the same way that the rest of society viewed Jim, as a slave. Therefore, Jim's initial experiences on the raft are no different than his experiences in civilization. He was a slave.

However, as the journey ensues downriver, Hucks views change, and he treats Jim as a PERSON, rather than a slave. Only at that point do we begin to see a difference in the experiences on the raft, and the experiences in civilization.

And, like I said, use the journey downriver to symbolize Huck and Jim's emotional journey.

ThumPIN_450R
10-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
If you want to score big points, use the river.

Hucks journey down the river is parallel to his journey within himself, growing up and recognizing Jim as a person, rather than just a slave. It symbolizes his transformation from a boy to a man.

In the beginning, Huck viewed Jim in the same way that the rest of society viewed Jim, as a slave. Therefore, Jim's initial experiences on the raft are no different than his experiences in civilization. He was a slave.

However, as the journey ensues downriver, Hucks views change, and he treats Jim as a PERSON, rather than a slave. Only at that point do we begin to see a difference in the experiences on the raft, and the experiences in civilization.

And, like I said, use the journey downriver to symbolize Huck and Jim's emotional journey.

I wish you were the guy that sat next to me in class when I copied all of his stuff.

tater_kamik
10-13-2005, 01:24 PM
i know right!?!? oh wait, i would have had to go to class for that to happen... in any case, that is a very good idea!!

wilkin250r
10-13-2005, 03:32 PM
I was totally willing in high school to let anybody cheat off me, provided they paid me appropriately.

Copying is pretty cheap, because I have to do the same amount of work either way. But if you want me to actually do it FOR you, now we're talking some serious money...

CaptainCanuck
10-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Wilkins, that is unbelievable information. Do you any more for me. Thanks so much.

10-13-2005, 05:46 PM
I remember reading that book in 8th grade..

I looked forward to that period all day cuz thats when i caught up on all my sleep

My book was full of drool when i handed it back in

I was also an expert at cheating.. i had buddys from earlier classes write down the answers from the test on little pieces of paper for me :D