PDA

View Full Version : L88 "big tanker" Corvette on ebay!

Matt37
10-12-2005, 07:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Corvette-67-TANKER-1of-1-L-88-427-560hp-36gal-HERE-IT-IS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6168QQitemZ458102734 8QQrdZ1

I saw this on ebay and could not believe what I was seeing, so I called Bob Lutz ( a friend of mine, and the local NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) Pres. and told him. I have been a member of NCRS for 10 years and have had about 7 mid year vettes. And when I told him the car that mid year vette lovers have been trying to locate for years is on ebay.
First thing he says is it is a fake. He told me this guy had this car at a show last summer in Pitts. and it had a small block in it, and now all of the sudden it turns into an L88 "tanker". For those of you who don't know the significance of the big tanker L88. In the late 60's GM made 2 known big tanker mid year vettes for racing purposes. 1 was a 350 hp and the other was a 435 hp. There has been speculation for years that they made a L88 tanker but no documentation has been found on it. If one day it is discovered and correctly documented the NCRS guys predict that a real documented 67 L88 "tanker" just like this one the guy says he has on ebay. Could go for as much as 3 Mil. Unfortunetly, people are really bidding on this one on ebay even though I have heard from many many sources it is a fake.
It takes a lot of gahunas to take a SB vette re stamp the block code throw in an big tank and an L88 engine and advertise it as that.....
Another dead give away is if this was a true "big tank" L88... no way in hell would this guy have it on ebay. He would have had it sold for more than he has it up to on ebay now.
My other question when looking at this on ebay is, would you not do some research on the car before laying down a 3/4 of million dollar bid on ebay???? Sometimes I think some people have more money than brains.

gun32boarder
10-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Linky no worky.

Matt37
10-12-2005, 07:58 PM
http://search.ebay.com/corvette_W0QQfromZR3QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3

Here is this link, just click on the auction that is obviously more ashtronomical than the others.

m_townsgreatest
10-12-2005, 08:37 PM
maybe its realy and its so cheap because he doesnt know what he has?

Mxjunkie
10-12-2005, 11:06 PM
it would sell so much better at say barret and jackson, that guy is nuts for selling it on ebay.

10-12-2005, 11:26 PM
i would do anything for that vette

Guy400
10-13-2005, 05:13 AM
I don't know if it's real or not but I have my doubts. First off, this guy is selling a 1-off Vette through eBay? A Vette of this importance would be known about in the Vette community and it wouldn't even have to hit the internet to sell, much less only garner $850k.

10-13-2005, 05:15 AM
well the thing that tells me its a crock of **** is, leno hasnt bought it yet... leno being the car guy he is.. THATS one of the cars he would definatly have in his garage.. and you can bet, he has people prowling around lookin for rides just like this ;)

Jesse

Mxjunkie
10-13-2005, 07:40 AM
SUNSET AUTO

Central, CA 93720 James Vitullo
Phone: (559) 999-4404

someone call the dude up and ask if its real or not

Matt37
10-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
well the thing that tells me its a crock of **** is, leno hasnt bought it yet... leno being the car guy he is.. THATS one of the cars he would definatly have in his garage.. and you can bet, he has people prowling around lookin for rides just like this ;)

Jesse

Someone in the Corvette Community would get it before Leno.

Leno is more into the hot rods and one off customs than muscle cars.

The NCRS community is very strong and someone would have picked this up if real.

A guy in my chapter NCRS has a real L88 (not a big tanker) just a plain L88... he was 500k for it, not a dime less.