PDA

View Full Version : replacing stock axle w/ LSR...got ???

Glamis400ex
06-15-2002, 10:38 PM
hi everyone,

Here's the deal,
I'm replacing my stock axle with a LSR +4. After a tough battle getting the locknuts and hub nuts off, I'm confused.

The threaded thingy that the inner and outer locknuts are secured to, do I need that peice to put on my aftermarket nut?

It looks to me that the threaded thing, w/ splines on the inside, slides onto the LSR, then the aftermarket nut, screws into that...is that right?

Can I throw away the stock inner and outer nut? Or do I need the inner one still? I'm a little confused

Also, where do I put the locktite? On the pinch bolts or the threads? and what stregnth do I use?

Thx, Glamis

400exRacerX
06-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Yes you still use the stock axle threads. All you need is the aftermarket nut, you dont need the inner or outer stock nuts anymore. Whats you do is tighten the the aftermarket nut up agianst the snap ring on the axle and then tighten the pinch bolt up. I didnt use any locktite on mine because I was constantly taking it apart. My speed racing axle locknut eventually broke so I bought myself a brand new anti fade hub.

Attached is a picture of the aftermarket nut with the ring next to it and the snap ring in its groove. This is how everthing should look like before you go tightening away.

Green: nut
red: ring
blue: snap ring

Norm

400exRacerX
06-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Here is a picture of the speed racing nut broken.

Glamis400ex
06-15-2002, 10:50 PM
ok Norm,

well, the large nut is still attached to the threaded peice, and it wont budge, I think I damaged the threads trying to remove it.

How does the aftermarket nut stay on not being snugged up against the snap ring. The stocker was actually over the snap ring, ya follow me? How tight do I make the new nut, just a 1/2 turn past hand tight?

Thanks, Glamis

400exRacerX
06-15-2002, 10:56 PM
Here is my antifade hub, which is the more expensive way of getting a locknut.

400exRacerX
06-15-2002, 11:00 PM
The aftermarket nut comes with a ring that has a groove in it and it seets up against the snap ring instaed of the stock setup were the nut actually goes over the ring. BTW remember the hole setup is lefthand thread. I got my stock nuts off with a monkey wrench and I had to work the nuts back and forth because they had locktite on them, but eventually they came off. With th new nut they say tighten it a 1/4 turn after hand tight but mine always came loose, I went a 1/2 turn.

nakomis0
06-16-2002, 09:39 AM
I have the Speed Racing locknut. They say to use the inner stock nut with the Speed locknut.

Use blue locktight, just put a few drops on the collar threads before screwing the nuts on.