PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Wrap

Chino886
10-12-2005, 11:03 AM
What does exhaust wrap? I know it protects your leg from the pipe but does it have any performance gains? I was at a MX race and I saw a header that was all wrapped up in it. I thought it looked like crap.

RaptorRacer45
10-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Probably just a preventitive feature.....it also helps block exhaust leaks also

300exOH
10-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
What does exhaust wrap? I know it protects your leg from the pipe but does it have any performance gains? I was at a MX race and I saw a header that was all wrapped up in it. I thought it looked like crap.

The exhaust wrap will help keep heat in the pipe and allow the exhaust gasses to escape more easily..in theory. I had it on my old pipe and it helped to keep from burning my leg but it traps moisture and causes the pipe to rust badly.

ommkevin
10-12-2005, 01:19 PM
nope doesnt do any thing

jdboy
11-03-2005, 05:13 PM
First a hello from the newbie here! I was looking into exhaust wrap because the head pipe is so close to the oil tank I figured that the wrap would help sheild the tank and reduce engine temperature. Also had heard that clutch cable failure was also common because of it's close routing to the head pipe. I figured the wrap would also help in this category. Any thoughts would be appriciated as this is my first quad and would like to make the best out of it. I've been on my old CR500 for quite a while and the quad gives me a break now and then when riding with slower movers.

11-03-2005, 09:19 PM
I run it on my go kart, it is also said in the go kart world that a hot exaust header pulls the exaust out of the engine a little bit better.. who knows, and on my go kart it kept my arm from bursting into flames.

300exOH
11-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by jdboy
First a hello from the newbie here! I was looking into exhaust wrap because the head pipe is so close to the oil tank I figured that the wrap would help sheild the tank and reduce engine temperature. Also had heard that clutch cable failure was also common because of it's close routing to the head pipe. I figured the wrap would also help in this category. Any thoughts would be appriciated as this is my first quad and would like to make the best out of it. I've been on my old CR500 for quite a while and the quad gives me a break now and then when riding with slower movers.

It would help a little but not enough to be much help IMO. If you are lloking for additional cooling a larger oil tank or external oil cooler would be much better. You may be able to reroute the clutch cable away from the header to keep it away from the heat. When I had the heat wrap on my pipe there was still an awful lot of heat there. Also to reduce engine temps you can make sure the quad is running a tad on the rich side. If the quad is a stock honda they are jetted lean from the factory.

bradrenea
11-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Exhaust wrap is supposed to cause a "scavenging" effect due to the increased heat inside the pipe. The bottom line is increased flow.
With the horsepower figures your talking about on quads, the increase would probably be non-existent. But if your talking about an 800 hp car, then it makes a difference.
Besides that, it holds moisture, it rots, and it will cause your pipe to rust.