PDA

View Full Version : The Buck Stops HERE!

Honda
10-12-2005, 12:29 AM
I have to admit, when I first purchased my 2004 450R, I was extremely disappointed with the rear suspension. In stock form, I was almost bucked off of my machine several times, some of which, that if I would have completely gone over the bars, it would have ended with devastating consequences to my health and safety. Other major issues were a direct result of the short swing arm.

Some examples:

Crossing over logs was more like bull riding

When launching from jumps the bike would want to rotate out from under me

Exiting corners the bike would want to wheelie, sometimes in the direction of large trees or other obstacles

Doing donuts was next to impossible, sending the front end up, then onto one rear wheel

Drag racing was difficult, always wanting to lift the front end

Overall the ride was extremely rough the short wheelbase just didn't allow the machine to pass over roots and rough terrain without beating me to a pulp

The steering suffered, and the R always wanted to pitch over during hard turns

Honestly, it was dangerous to even ride in this condition, and I don't know how Honda got it so damn wrong. I must admit it did turn me into a wheelie master, but you can't ride forever on two wheels.

Finally I decided that I had had enough. I called Houser Racing and ordered a 1.25" longer swing arm, long travel linkage and an Elka Elite LT shock. I installed the parts (which fit perfect, I might add) along with a braided brake line, and crossed my fingers that this would cure the ill nature of my beloved machine.

After several rides with the new components installed, I have to tell you, this thing rocks now! I can slam logs and she fly’s level with no buck, slightly nose high and perfect. I have not been pitched towards the bars a single time with the new set up installed. All of the issues I mentioned above have been cured, and the new shock absorbs everything so well. I am extremely happy with this set up, so much in fact, that now I have really noticed how bad the front shocks are, they are stiff and really don't absorb impacts well at all, almost like a jack hammer effect. I will be upgrading the front end with Elka Suspension as well.

I was extremely pleased with the results, and I wanted to share my experience with anyone else on here that may be suffering from the same issues that I was. I honestly don't think you should have to spend the kind of money I did to fix a problem that Honda should have recognized before putting the machine into production, but they did, and I bought one and something had to be done.

I believe they have fixed this issue on the 2006 model, they added some length to the swing arm and changed the rear end geometry around, I don’t know if it will be as good as the Houser/ Elka combo, but hopefully much better than the 2004-2005 models.

My Hats off to the guys and gals at Elka and Houser Racing! You guys have quality products at an affordable price, products that do the intended job they are designed for. Thanks!

Jersey450R
10-12-2005, 03:36 AM
congradulations. i never really had a problem with mine bucking or wheelieing. I guess i learned to ride it without noticing that stuff. i love it.

370kingR
10-12-2005, 04:44 AM
I couldnt agree more. The 04-05 honda is a death trap. That rear end is the worst, ever.

I HAD to also do something and went with a revised stock shock setup done by Derisi Racing and went with the Derisi "elka" linkage with the Houser 1.25. What a difference.

I think though this winter i may upgrade to a full set of Elka's. These redone shocks are good but i believe there is room for improvement still. But hey, it was ALOT cheaper at the time to do that then go full tilt.

Im a motor head, been for ever. I never realized till recently that suspension means the world to a quad. I always made sure i had plenty of HP but never quite thought about the better ride of a good suspension.

So what series of Elka's do you guys think would do best for me?

I run in the sand where there are LOTS of whooped up trails. Deep whoops too. One after another after another. ( Hate them Fockers!) Got lots of power and i run them trails very hard. Nothing major in the jumping department, just your usual 3-6 foot jumps (ya i know, im a wimp) Some duning.

Id like to keep my standard travel +1/2 inch Houser a-arms and of coarse my Houser +1.25 swinger. I have the standard Derisi "Elka" rear linkage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

nat3060
10-12-2005, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Honda
Elka and Houser Racing! You guys have quality products at an affordable price

quality products yes... affordable prices, on what budget?

WhiteZee
10-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
congradulations. i never really had a problem with mine bucking or wheelieing. I guess i learned to ride it without noticing that stuff. i love it.
im pretty sure honda changed something on the rear end between 04 and 05. my buddys 05 doesnt buck half as bad as my 04 did.

Jersey450R
10-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
im pretty sure honda changed something on the rear end between 04 and 05. my buddys 05 doesnt buck half as bad as my 04 did.
Thats weird. i beleive it though. the only way mine will buck is if i go into a set of whoops WAYY to fast at a speed i know i cant handle. even then, its rather a side to side movement than a buck. when that happens, i tend to just MASH it and she straightens out :p

roughrider01
10-12-2005, 12:31 PM
My 04 would buck like no other and no matter what i did with the shock or my riding style id still have to watch out. It wasnt so much that Id almost get sent over the bars, my bigger problem was keeping my feet on the pegs. If i wasnt careful my feet would want to get kicked off the pegs.

If you ever go to adjust the rebound on the stock rear shock youll notice that it doesnt rebound any slower or faster no matter what setting it is at... it is like the rebound was permanently fixed at one setting.

After i got the rear revalved by GTT and the new link you could have it so you would press down on the rear and have the back end creep up very very slow or you could set it to spring back as fast as you let off the grab bar.

I always wanted to punch myself for waiting so long to get the rear end done. For ppl running the stock rear end, you dont know what your missing.

TRX250R87
10-12-2005, 01:06 PM
So if the stock shock rebound is too slow couldn't you just replace the shock oil with a thinner weight, or if it's too fast, replace with a thicker weight oil? I'm guessing the compression would need to be adjusted after.
ERIC

Honda
10-12-2005, 01:12 PM
It wasnt so much that Id almost get sent over the bars, my bigger problem was keeping my feet on the pegs. If i wasnt careful my feet would want to get kicked off the pegs.

Oh Yea! Forgot about that problem.

Broke my leg while riding a set of whoops at the Badlands, threw my foot right off the pegs for no reason at all.

nat3060
10-12-2005, 04:48 PM
i think your just to lite to ride

400exrider707
10-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by nat3060
i think your just to lite to ride

Im 185 w/ gear on and every time I jump a certain way my feet float off of the pegs and I cant do anything to stop it. I NEVER had this problem on my EX

bansheex
10-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I think the bucking is WAY over exaggerated, one or two people complain about it, then suddenly it has become a major design problem. It might just be me, but I have owned numerous quads, and the 450R doesn't buck anymore than any other I have ridden. There must be a lot of pro or highly skilled riders posting that really notice the little things.

450 Racer R
10-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I've been bucked over the bars with the stock rear through a set of whoops and broke my collar bone. My cousin was bucked over the bars through a set of whoops on a c&d rebuild (which they claim cures the buck) and a stock link and broke his back. Maybe the rebound/compression/preload wasn't set up right, but I think the problem is with the stock 04/05 link.

hondahoney
10-12-2005, 06:05 PM
I contemplated even keeping my 450R until it put inthe GT thunder linkage and replaced the shock. Now, I wouldn't want any other quad!:)

roughrider01
10-12-2005, 06:16 PM
I dont think it has anything to do with too light to rider. This isnt a utility quad, this quad was meant to race. You dont see to many overweight racers. I weigh 165 lbs, im no where fat but im not underweight.

Of course, no suspension is going to be perfect off the showroom floor but it should be somewhat sortve close so you can enjoy riding it to almost its potential.

Theres way more then 2 ppl complaining about the rear end. Why do you think there is handfulls of different rear links you can buy? I sure as hell didnt buy mine for looks.

Im a trail rider and race every now and then. I noticed it more on trails then anything, having to slow down over choppy trails cuz my feet are almost chattering off isnt my idea of fun. I once hit a 4" thick tree that fell over on a corner and had to get off the quad because i thought my tailbone was broken from the seat slamming into it.

I rode other ppls 450rs and still the same bucking so i know mine wasnt the only one with the problem.

If you dont think the rear is a problem, thats great but for the 100's of ppl that do think it is one, there are solutions.

nat3060
10-12-2005, 07:20 PM
i was kidding

i dunno, i never had the bucking problem and i ride trails, tracks, and fields

speedracer400
10-12-2005, 09:05 PM
i must agree i have a 05 and i dont weigh 150 in gear but mine bucked rather bad and i ride trails tracks and fields.
Until i recently had almost all my preload removed and comp and reb readjusted it rides so much different to much preload can have a adverse affect on the rebound adjustment i think.

HAVOK
10-13-2005, 11:55 AM
My 04 buck's here and there on me. But my buddys friend found out his 05 bucked even harder on his first ride. He was bucked right off of his 450 and it hit a tree and bent his frame bad. His dealer cut him a break on a frame since is was not even a day old.

nat3060
10-13-2005, 12:22 PM
dont yall kinda crouch over the seat when hitting a rough terrain? i know thats what i do, and i never had the problem

WhiteZee
10-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by bansheex
I think the bucking is WAY over exaggerated, one or two people complain about it, then suddenly it has become a major design problem. It might just be me, but I have owned numerous quads, and the 450R doesn't buck anymore than any other I have ridden. There must be a lot of pro or highly skilled riders posting that really notice the little things.
its not over exagerated at all, you have an 05, im telling you its not half as bad as the 04. something is different on the 05, im guessing its the valving.

Jersey450R
10-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by bansheex
:) nailed it.

hondardr4life
10-13-2005, 07:35 PM
I don't really notice a problem when I hop on 450's. I think everyone is just being a baby. I love the feel of your front end coming up when you fly out of a turn. To me it just feels like raw power.

Honda
10-13-2005, 10:35 PM
I love the feel of your front end coming up when you fly out of a turn. To me it just feels like raw power.

LMAO!!!!!

Yea, until you smack into a tree! LOL!

Live2Ride300
10-17-2005, 09:32 PM
So to fix this problem, you need a different linkage, then you have to have the shock revalved for the linkage correct?

10-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
So to fix this problem, you need a different linkage, then you have to have the shock revalved for the linkage correct?

you got it right sort of...
fix no..help yes...
understand now:D

Live2Ride300
10-18-2005, 06:21 AM
I was planning on picking up a 450r, but this problem kinda of pushes me towards the yfz. I guess the only way to really decide between the two would be to ride the crap out of both of them then choose.

hondardr4life
10-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Honda
LMAO!!!!!

Yea, until you smack into a tree! LOL!

I ride 450r's a lot, and never once have I hit a tree because of the front end coming up.

E.POWERSPORTS
10-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
its not over exagerated at all, you have an 05, im telling you its not half as bad as the 04. something is different on the 05, im guessing its the valving.

The parts numbers on the shock, linkage, and swingarm are the same for 04 to 05.

Live2Ride300
10-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by E.POWERSPORTS
The parts numbers on the shock, linkage, and swingarm are the same for 04 to 05.

Haha, :p

Is anybody running a derisis linkage with the revalve/spring kit?