PDA

View Full Version : Tires for dunes

Macho250
06-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Hey what is my best bet for the dunes....Ok i only ride in the dunes once or twice a year in little sahara i have my stocks on and Realtors on steel wheels which are very heavy i need to know if i should buy new tires, run my stocks, my realtors, or sand tires on alloys....in case ur wonderin my 250ex has a dg xcellerator and handguards...im pretty worried ill get up there and my tires will not be worth crap in the sand help would be nice....also will a 2003 trailboss 325 outrun my 250 my cuz says it will cause of somethin he read in dirtwheels but he dont know crap sooo any comments will be accepted:o

own2424
06-15-2002, 09:53 PM
ill be visitng AZ this summer. I need to know which sand paddles to purchase for my Banshee? Thanks!

06-16-2002, 12:36 AM
macho if you ride at little sahara in oklahoma id just stop bye jims sand toys and pic up a set of sand sharks. $152 for tires and wheels. thats alot cheaper than you can find in a magazine. if you order tires you have to pay shippin and hazardous material transportation. also you might look on ebay theres usually theres some good deals on there. hope i helped.

airheadedduner
06-19-2002, 09:16 PM
I would look for scat trak gliders. They are like haulers but with shorter blades. Just make sure you get at least 8 paddle gliders for your machine. Other tires may be too much for your ride, adjust traction with tire pressure. As for a banshee I really like haulers for any high powered ride.

Macho250
06-20-2002, 10:05 PM
yeah but will my machine pull paddles in the sand ??? i like the suggestion but do i need that much tire

kid300ex
06-20-2002, 10:11 PM
a friend of mine as a stock 250ex and he has Skat-Trak Gliders (6 or 7 paddle, aint sure) and they work mint for him, made it up most of the hills at sand lake too

skull
06-22-2002, 05:59 PM
Macho
your machine came with 22" rear tires stock, so unless you changed to 20" and compensated with your gearing (shaft drive makes it almost impossible), you should go with a 22" rear paddle tire.

If you go with a 20" tire (like the sand sharks) you will lose ground clearance, and most importantly speed.

I would suggest the "Cheng Shin - Dune Hopper" 22/11/8 on .125 Douglas wheels. you can get them at Rocky Mountain ATV (www.Rockymountainatv.com) for $130.99 before shipping. thats where I bought mine, except I bought up to the .190 wheel. but it was the best deal, and the tires came mounted on the rims and everything.

or,
this may be an even better tire, but you will pay more;
Skat Track - Glider-Rear 22x11x8(7 paddle) on Douglas Aluminum .125 these tires mounted on the rims will cost you $177.99
In my opinion this would be the "aboslute perfect" tire for your bike. the glider blades are shorter than on most paddle tires, and the 7 paddles will not rob your horsepower.

I'm using the Dune Hoppers, but I have a 300EX.

Cheng shin Dune Hopper

skull
06-22-2002, 06:02 PM
here's the Glider
the picture doesn't look like it's the 22" size, looks like a 20" or so to me.

skull
06-23-2002, 03:28 AM
Rocky Mountain has always treated me and my friends good. they have the best customer service, I highly recomend them. if I remember right, shipping was only about $15. I didn't pay any hazardous material fee either.

as long as you get the right tires your 250ex should hold it's own or beat that trail boss 325.

the realtors on steel wheels has to be the heaviest combinaton possable. I think you would be better off with the stock tires and wheels in any situation. all that weight of the tires and wheels is definitely slowing you down.

Skat Traks are the lightest tires I've ever picked up. I think the Gliders would be perfect for your machine, and I wouldn't worry at all about them being "too much tire".

have fun, and kick that Trail boss's butt for all us EXers :blah

own2424
06-24-2002, 01:43 PM
Hey, Do you guys reccomend V paddles or Straight paddles? im debating over that. I can either can GBC Sand Sharks (Vpaddle) or GBC Sand Devils (Straight paddle) from Rocky Mtn. They have the Sand devils with Douglas Black labels for $125. Should i get them? Remember, im only gonna need them for my 4 week vacation to arizona, which ill only be riding for 3 weeks. THANKS!

WyoDuner
06-24-2002, 03:20 PM
Macho, Actually, you should consider going with 20" paddles in the sand instead of 22". You need to gear down in the sand because it really puts a drag on your machine.

The proper paddle for you would be the Gliders in 6 or 7 paddles. The Dunehoppers are a decent tire but they are too much for the 250ex even in the 20" 8 paddle version. They are for 2 strokes or higher powered machines.

Trust me on this - if you over paddle your machine you will lose performance, a lot of performance. It's better to under paddle it if anything.

CBW
06-24-2002, 03:51 PM
well here is what i did,,,,,,,,,,,

we dont have many dunes here in the mountians,,,,,,,,,but about 3 hours from me are some smaller dunes,,,,,,,nothing like glamis,,,or little sahara,,,,,,,,,but i used the stock 88 250r tires,,,,,,,and it would still pull the front end up in third.........investing in paddles for one or two times a year just didnt seem practicle for me,,,,,,,,,i realize we are talking completely different machines,,,,,,,,,,,,but i just thought i would offer up my limited experiance in the sand,,,,,,,,,,,,

also on my 400 i ran razrs with no problem........

sure if you stop going up hill,,,,,,,,,you will sink when you try to get started again,,,,,,,,i just had to not stop going up hill,,,or pointing up hill..........i also used the stock 400 tires(same as 88R) when we went to winchester bay, oregon a couple of years ago for sandfest...........

Later
CW

PismoGuy400
06-29-2002, 06:11 PM
as other people have said...

i would get the 20x10 (or 11) 8 paddle skat-track gilders.

as long as you arent "speed happy" they will do you just fine.

dont go w/ 22's unless you get a 6 or 7 paddle...your machine wont be able to turn them like you would want them to., by doing this you will be sacraficing a little traction, but gaining top speed.

later
pismoguy