PDA

View Full Version : light flywheel

Quad Dude
10-11-2005, 08:17 PM
i want to lighten my fly wheel but i dont know how light i should make it. any info from people who have done this would be great any do's or donts. and were the gains very noticable?

thx josh

cals400ex
10-11-2005, 11:13 PM
i did it and my bike was slower for dragging. the bike will not rev out quite as high. it is not something you would really notice unless you have a friends bike you can race against before and after the install. i was probably around 3 bike lengths slower after the install. you could also contact laz at gt thunder. he told me the same thing but i went ahead and tried it anyways. i would spend the cash elsewhere....

10-12-2005, 05:28 AM
sounds like you had weight added.

I have mine lightened. dono how much, but for trail riding it is a pain in the arse! but I dont trail ride much so I dont mind it. My quad wont go slow pretty much, when I let off and basacally chug along at an idle like how it would stock,,, nope stalls dead in its tracks every time. or if I dont really have lots of power to it ( like 1/16 throttle ) and am going slow, if I hit a bump it stalls:o . I think it is funny moast times.

Because when I go up to a group of ppl on the trailside and just go slow up to them my quad just stops dead in its tracks when I go to slow way doun.
moast ppl just tell me to pull the clutch in, I do sometimes but can get it every time, and these time that it stalls it would have kept goign with stock flywheel.

I like it, but wouldent do it on a trail quad.

cals400ex
10-12-2005, 02:55 PM
mine was definatly lightened. ;)

it sounds like yours was lightened a lot or it isn't balanced worth a crap.

JDiablo
10-12-2005, 02:58 PM
i had it on my old 416 engine im never doing that again,i was shifting to much and it was reving to much in first and second gear,stalled alot too :o

10-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
i had it on my old 416 engine im never doing that again,i was shifting to much and it was reving to much in first and second gear,stalled alot too :o

just fyi we ( me and 300exrida) are talking about the same engine, because I bought his engine.

Quad Dude
10-12-2005, 06:31 PM
i will have a spare one for regular riding but i wanted a light one for flat track racing. so did it rev faster coming out of corners thats what im looking for.

10-12-2005, 08:57 PM
guess you could give it a try.

cals400ex
10-12-2005, 09:56 PM
what other mods do you have on the bike. maybe i can suggest something else.

Quad Dude
10-13-2005, 03:15 PM
i got every thing else i want i just wondering if it would help coming out of the corners or on the hole shot

piston
cam
pipe
k&n
im getting a port job soon i hope

10-13-2005, 06:07 PM
carb?

Quad Dude
10-16-2005, 12:16 PM
eventually ill get a carb but i need more money for that.

does your quad rev faster with the light flywheel?

cals400ex
10-17-2005, 10:07 PM
mine didn't. it actually slowed me down at high rpms.

UglyMotha™
10-18-2005, 06:02 PM
weird i can't keep mine outta the rev limiter, mine revs pretty damn quick for being a stroker, i noticed a big differance in acceleration when i did my ligthened flywheel with the 416 and i kept it on the 452 and couldn't be more happier

Quad Dude
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
who did you have lighten it? i was thinking a local machine shop to do it but maybe the wouldn't be able to. oh and how much was yours lightened?

UglyMotha™
10-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Rocky Ridge racing outta kentucky did mine, and it's pretty much shaved to the max, it was called the ultralight mod, and as you can see they even started cutting into the theaded holes for the starter clutch

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid107/p01f423d48c2b42d9fc91cace5db2711b/f967bfc2.jpg

UglyMotha™
10-18-2005, 07:18 PM
oh yah, mines a xc setup and she does fine in the woods as long as you ride her the way your supposed to WFO then you won't have any probs with stalling, least i don't

and to the person that there quad won't idle.................... you need to adjust your carb

10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
the carb is adjusted. it just wont idle at a low rpm. it will idle but just not at an idle...... lol

UglyMotha™
10-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
it will idle but just not at an idle

that deserves Threeee :huh :huh :huh

10-18-2005, 09:08 PM
lol, it is 11 at night, you get the point.

cals400ex
10-18-2005, 09:46 PM
i had GT Thunder lighten mine. it isn't lightened as much as that rocky ridge one though. if it idles bad, there is a good chance it needs balanced. i would call trailtech and have them balance it for $20. i paid $50 to get mine lightened a while back.

i could get my bike to pull the rev limiter easily, but it just wasn't as quick as before. like i said, when driving the bike there really wasn't much difference from stock by the feel. after racing my buddy before and after, i realized i lost several bike lengths in the upper rpms and upper gears. i thought maybe something happened during the install so i put the stock one back on the same way and i was right in front of my buddy again when drag racing. i am not sure. from my experience, i would not do it again. maybe mine just needed to be balanced too. i hear trail tech has one of the best balancing machines around....

cals400ex
10-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i had GT Thunder lighten mine. it isn't lightened as much as that rocky ridge one though. if it idles bad, there is a good chance it needs balanced. i would call trailtech and have them balance it for $20. i paid $50 to get mine lightened a while back.

i could get my bike to pull the rev limiter easily, but it just wasn't as quick as before. like i said, when driving the bike there really wasn't much difference from the stock flywheel by the feel. after racing my buddy before and after, i realized i lost several bike lengths in the upper rpms and upper gears. i thought maybe something happened during the install so i put the stock one back on the same way and i was right in front of my buddy again when drag racing. i am not sure. from my experience, i would not do it again. maybe mine just needed to be balanced too. i hear trail tech has one of the best balancing machines around....

by the way, i ran this on my 11:1 426.

nakomis0
10-20-2005, 05:08 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't make it rev as fast?

I have had mine done and like it. Pulls easier out of corners, and all around revs faster.

Only downfall is when trail riding you have to pull the clutch in more during hard breaking in tight areas. Or else its gonna stall. Idles fine.

I have 6 oz. removed. Thats the most I would really go. You can go 8 oz. but its harder to take that much off, and it would be more for drag racing only. IMO.

I'd use a shop that has done this before. taking to much off on one side and not another sounds like problems.