PDA

View Full Version : 440EX Blowing head gaskets.

MasterOfFaster
10-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey guys, got a little problem that I was hoping you could give some advice on. I'm working on a newly built 440EX for a buddy, he had the local Honda shop do it and it blows head gaskets, been back three times without it being properly fixed.

It's a weisco 440 kit, 11:1 compression I believe. He's using a weisco gasket. I did some searches and found some info. What's the best route to take on this. HD studs and a different gasket? If that's all he needs can you guys point me to the best place to get this stuff, thanks a ton. Doug

UglyMotha™
10-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Head studs and and a good steel gasket, also have the head and clylinder surfaced to make sure nothings warped

exracer131
10-12-2005, 11:33 PM
i know for a fact duncan racing has the stud kits. just about any engine builder has them. ex: lrd, curtis sparks, powroll, baldwin, fourstroke tech, and so on.

400exrider707
10-12-2005, 11:44 PM
GT thunder is a good place for the studs

gojk
10-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Get them from FDO. They make the best kit. I called alot of the builders mentioned above, and some say to just heli coil it, while other just say to replace the exhaust stud. Call FDO and they will sell you the kit with all 4 studs and even install them if you want or need them too.

http://www.markburkhart.com/FDO.html

740-967-1078 <--I think this is the correct number

fdoracing@adelphia.com

Rhino0039
10-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Wuts the best head gasket to get and where to get it from?....I just recently bought a 440ex and the gasket is blown and the kid doesnt know what kinda kit or if it had HD studs or not he didnt do the work so how would I know if I have HD studs and if I cant tell what would be the best gasket to get.

prepracing
10-31-2005, 11:13 PM
what kind of header pipe is he running ? don't know if this is a fact but I have heard several people say if your head pipe is not large enough for good flow you will have to much back pressure with the 440 kit and that will help blow the headgasket. All though I would think HD studs would take care of that problem

motoman00440es
11-03-2005, 07:02 AM
The only way to tell if you have HD studs is to take one out and measure the bottom diameter it will be larger than stock. Cometic is the best gasket that I have found. I have owned and raced several 440's and when the head gasket leaks more than likely a head stud has been pulled out of the cylinder

Rhino0039
11-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Where did you get those cometic gaskets at?? I ordered a top end 440 kit from the local honda shop im guessin its going to be a steel one again....Do they make any heavy duty studs that doesn not require drilling into the cylinder and tapping it b/c I dont know if i trust myself to get it straight?

Ginxd00
11-03-2005, 03:36 PM
I use cometic steels on mine, never had a problem. As for the studs I have FDO's any machine shop should be able to do it for ya at a cheap price.

MarkyNark
11-03-2005, 05:19 PM
The last thing someone needs to think about is bigger studs if they are blowing head gaskets. the FIRST thing to ask yourself is what octane level am I running with the piston. Pre-ignition will be amplified by low octane, and an aftermarket ignition. Im not saying that head studs wont help, but if you have a pre-ignition problem, the gaskets will STILL push out.

sloppyjoe
11-03-2005, 08:26 PM
if you have a 440 kit you must put in the heavy duty haed studs!!! very very important!! anyone that says different doesnt know what they are talking about. its a little bit more $$ but a nacecity. and like Ginxdoo said, any machine shop should be able to fix you up!

MarkyNark
11-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Larger studs are probably a good idea, and a good safety net. But, I ran a 440 for two years with a 13:1 compression piston with no problem. I did eventually get larger studs when I went to NOS. If you are losing gaskets, that quickly, there is another cause - I suggest you look why you are losing gaskets along with replacing the studs. If you dont, you may still have the same problem.

Just a thought ..... Do what you want.

DAVE14
11-04-2005, 06:32 AM
I bought a cyl. already pressed with the 440 sleeve /piston with very low hours & the guy who owned it originally didnt put the heavy studs in it & it pulled out more than once from what I hear the threads were a total mess my local machine shop guy helicoiled it & put the GT Thunder studs in & Im having no trouble with it ,its a12.5 to 1 I run 94 octane with a splash of NOS octane booster & I have run the ***** out of it. I was gonna get that 440 sleeve pressed into my cyl. along with studs because my cyl. wasnt damaged but the helicoils are holdin up fine.

400exrider707
11-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by DAVE14
I bought a cyl. already pressed with the 440 sleeve /piston with very low hours & the guy who owned it originally didnt put the heavy studs in it & it pulled out more than once from what I hear the threads were a total mess my local machine shop guy helicoiled it & put the GT Thunder studs in & Im having no trouble with it ,its a12.5 to 1 I run 94 octane with a splash of NOS octane booster & I have run the ***** out of it. I was gonna get that 440 sleeve pressed into my cyl. along with studs because my cyl. wasnt damaged but the helicoils are holdin up fine.

Glad to hear the 440 worket out for you dave. Hows it run?

MarkyNark
11-04-2005, 07:19 AM

94 octane with booster that brings it up to 98 octane with a 12.5:1 piston is on the edge, but acceptable. The studs will save your arse when you are over the edge. It will run VERY hot under those conditions though -

440ex78
11-05-2005, 09:56 AM
i have just recently bought a wiesco 440 12.5.1 kit and one i first got it back i rode it for a day and it started to make a funny noise turns out the bottom end gasket was blown so i brought it back put anthor gasket on rode it for about 20 min and i blew again what should i do im getting tired of this im running a full big gun exhaust what do i need to do so this will stop blowing gaskets help me please

beerock
11-05-2005, 10:19 AM
yuck heli coils, there just another word for RIG

do it the right way...

440ex78
11-05-2005, 10:21 AM
ya so what should i do to stop this from happining

beerock
11-05-2005, 11:40 AM
have it machined and put threaded studs in it.

Rhino0039
11-05-2005, 11:47 AM
never heard of anyone blowing a bottom end gasket? wasnt your head gasket? Thats what I'm having problems with

gojk
11-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by beerock
yuck heli coils, there just another word for RIG

do it the right way...

The funny thing is....

When I was looking for places to buy the head studs, I had 3 well know engine builders, which shall remain nameless, tell me that is what they do. I was like, well, moving on to the next builder....

440ex78
11-05-2005, 05:26 PM
ya it was my top end what should i do to fix it hd studs were can i get them off the internet or at a local shop thanks for the help everyone

gojk
11-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by gojk
Get them from FDO. They make the best kit. I called alot of the builders mentioned above, and some say to just heli coil it, while other just say to replace the exhaust stud. Call FDO and they will sell you the kit with all 4 studs and even install them if you want or need them too.

http://www.markburkhart.com/FDO.html

740-967-1078 <--I think this is the correct number

fdoracing@adelphia.com

Contact FDO here. They can get them to you in no time.

DAVE14
11-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Goes like hell I cant wait to mod it even more I could throw more gear at it for top speed but Im in the trails a lot too & its strong there as long as the revs are up a little bit theres plenty of power but whos to say when theres enough power.

400exrider707
11-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Goes like hell I cant wait to mod it even more I could throw more gear at it for top speed but Im in the trails a lot too & its strong there as long as the revs are up a little bit theres plenty of power but whos to say when theres enough power.

Yeah I just noticed where you said your running 94 w/octane boost. I personally would rather spend the money on race gas, cause I would really hate to see you mess that thing up after you finally got it all together. Im not a big fan of octane booster myself, and its really misleading because it goes by points not octane ratings, and I believe there's something like 7 points per 1 octane of gas!? PM me and we'll talk more.

UglyMotha™
11-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by sloppyjoe
if you have a 440 kit you must put in the heavy duty haed studs!!! very very important!! anyone that says different doesnt know what they are talking about. its a little bit more $$ but a nacecity. and like Ginxdoo said, any machine shop should be able to fix you up!

funny i gotta 452 with 12.5:1 compression and im still runnin the stock head gaskets :ermm: imagine that

Rhino0039
11-06-2005, 04:23 PM
no way man you didnt do your bore kit then b/c theres no way in hell you have the "stock" gasket in there

UglyMotha™
11-07-2005, 04:50 PM
dur your right i meant to say stock head STUDS :o