PDA

View Full Version : IRONMAN GNCC questions - xc newbie

Jake250ex
10-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I am thinking about running the soon up and coming 05 Ironman GNCC race. I have a couple concerns though.

A) I will be racing in sport class on a mostly stock 300ex. I am not so sure I want to be in Bill Ballances (or any other super fast pro's) way. I think it's kinda ridiculous to group a class with the slowest machines in the afternoon.

B) I have heard Ironman has some of the bigest/hariest hillclimbs GNCC has to offer. Again, this isn't the funest thing to do on an underpowered 2wd quad.

I know it's a huge oppurtunity and I really want to but these are the things that stick out in my mind right now.

What I was thinking of doing was entering 16-24 C so I would be in the morning, not have to climb the huge hills and not have to worry about being in peoples way. The only thing that stops me from doing this is the fact that its all 450's in that class :ermm:

Help much appreciated - Thanks!

dj400ex
10-11-2005, 02:28 PM
run the first year racer class

Jake250ex
10-11-2005, 02:33 PM
but still, thats all 450's :(

Pappy
10-11-2005, 02:58 PM
ballance wont mind you on the track.

you will fill in a rut nicely:devil:

seriously, the pros do an awesome job of not using people for traction. you can hear them coming and getting outta the way usually isnt a problem.

bigvforcer
10-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Race man, you would be crazy not not. Part of the fun would be the pro's passing you and you smiling the whole time. If money is right I will be there on a quad racing. if not I will be there to take pictures and have fun!

RaptorRacer45
10-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Ive Ran in Races w\ Chris Borich, Johnny C. and others and not once did they touch me....ull know theyre there and its easy 2 get outta the way.....u should be fine in the afternoon and anyway....then u can say uve run in a professional GNCC event:D

Jake250ex
10-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I dont want to wear myself down just trying to stay out of peoples way. You guys have me all but convinced to race sport class and I know that where I should be, I (along with many, many others) wish RP would switch Sport to morning and Stock to afternoon. :cool:

47501exracer
10-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Jake,

Run the sport class. It will be about your only shot at a good finish. You will still have to climb the hills. There are people stading up them to help you in case you can't make it up. The faster riders will holler at you to move, don't be intimidated by running with the pros. Good luck!

300racer
10-11-2005, 07:44 PM
you should run the sport class. I think the morning has to climb the same hills also. I have only seen one incedent with a pro and a lapper and that was in 01 when yookley smoked a guy on the moto x track and they both wrecked.

47501exracer
10-11-2005, 07:45 PM
What's up Coker? Haven't seen you lately. Get that quad fixed for the finale!

rowlrag
10-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Morning and afternoon run the same track, except the morning goes around the PRO pits. As far as being in the PRO's way, they will have passed you before you know they are there.

ILGNCC400EX
10-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by 47501exracer
What's up Coker? Haven't seen you lately. Get that quad fixed for the finale! mikey has had hos on his mind.we gonna have it goin 4 casey sat i hope:rolleyes:

popo
10-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
As far as being in the PRO's way, they will have passed you before you know they are there.

Sum-times two times :(

Allen
10-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I was at a local one time in PA and Smiley used my forehead as traction ......wasn't fun...

J/K....really what happened is I center punched a tree and my quad was still one the trail, he didn't even slow down, just nailed the *** end and kept going.

thrasher_ex
10-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
B) I have heard Ironman has some of the bigest/hariest hillclimbs GNCC has to offer. Again, this isn't the funest thing to do on an underpowered 2wd quad.

idk if they are the biggest/hariest, but they are big and a little hairy. i do bigger all the time. but like any hill, they look big but probaly arent that bad once you hit 'em. i think your 300 could make it, just go WFO buddy!!!

gpd005
10-12-2005, 04:04 PM
I'll be there in the First year racer class just trying to finish the thing. I just think it's cool to go and ride with that many people. I've never tried a woods race on my quad so here goes nothing. Speaking of does anyone ever preregister on-line for the races? Is it worth my time to do that? just wondering. Thanks.

Johnny_G
10-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I understand your concerns about the pro riders chewing you up, but we are pretty good at getting around without making contact....all we ask is that you hold your line. We will be gone before you can say "300ex"

As for the hillclimbs....nothing really bad at all at Ironman, unless it rains, and then it can get really really interesting

Jake250ex
10-12-2005, 07:16 PM
thanks guys ;)

300racer
10-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 47501exracer
What's up Coker? Haven't seen you lately. Get that quad fixed for the finale! well sad to say but I don't have it fixed yet. I will have it goin for this weekends casey race and the ironman. I hope to have a surprise for some peeps at the ironman.

450robot
10-12-2005, 09:57 PM
dont worry about it, last week a powerline was my gncc, and i was nervous as hell about what i had to do, and how to do it, but as soon as you get going, your fine

just get out there, and do you best, take your time, remember, finishing is more important than a trip to the er

and dont worry about the pros, i had atleast 6 of the pro womens racing pass me during the race, all they did was yell, and i pulled off to the side a lil, and boom, the were freaking gone in an instant

bradley300
10-13-2005, 08:54 AM
the hills at the ironman arent that bad, ive raced there with a stock 300ex. just keep it pined in 2nd on the hills. it will sound like its gonna blow, but hold it anyway, you'll make it no problem. and johnny is right, all the pro's do a good job of yelling long before they get to you. you have plenty of time to move. i always raise a hand so they know i heard them, then once i see two lines, i start pointing at the one i want them to take. i dont think ive ever had any contact with a pro.

limetimeracerII
10-13-2005, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't worry about the pros. they're real good at getting around people. Don't worry about the hills either, They usually have an easier way to get around the real bad hills, plus when you're racing you usually don't even think about you just do it. I'm warning you though once you start racing you'll want to do it forever. :D

Jake250ex
10-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks Bradley I was hoping for a reply from you - your kinda the expert in this field. I really want to : no I just gotta con my parents into it :)

trx400exxracer
10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
when you here a quad truckinn coming behind you and a person yelling just get out of the way or keep your line

the pro's arent the only ones you have to worry about

bradley300
10-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
Thanks Bradley I was hoping for a reply from you - your kinda the expert in this field. I really want to : no I just gotta con my parents into it :)

show them the mini track, tell that your racing that course at 1 pm! lol

Jake250ex
10-16-2005, 05:39 PM
good idea ;) I'll try that