PDA

View Full Version : how reliable are strokers

jiffers
10-11-2005, 01:44 PM
i did a search on this do you know how many there are:eek2: but none to answer my question.
i have removed the 440 kit off my 2002 ex as the head gaskets kept blowing, so i installed heavy duty head studs but not that happy with the thread work i had done so thought i would go to a hotrod 4MM stroker but how reliable are these over big bore

jiff

ommkevin
10-11-2005, 01:56 PM
im not real sure but ive herad dont bore over 440 because they r so unreliable

jak1389
10-11-2005, 02:14 PM
if it is built right and everything perfectly they will be just as reliable as a stocker

bradley300
10-12-2005, 08:28 AM
they can be very reliable. just stick with a builder thats done a few

NacsMXer
10-12-2005, 10:31 AM
I've heard that the bearings on hotrod cranks are not as durable as stock and tend to go out after a couple of years. That's just what I heard. I'd stick with a +4 stroker from Powroll or something like that...a reputable shop that specializes in these things, not just some kit.

I'm running a +7mm stroker and it's tough as nails, comparable to if not better than stock reliability. I trust it the most because GT Thunder built it for me. Believe it or not, it has stock head studs, and i'm running 12:1 compression. I've NEVER blown a head gasket or pulled a stud before, that alone can tell you something about how reliable they can be.

Most often, the studs will begin to pull due to the motor operating at very high temps. This softens the aluminum in the head, and wala, they start to pull out on you. Investing in a larger oil cooler, an auxilary oil cooler, or some air scoops will all help in lowering engine temps so I would definitely look into one of these if reliability is what you want.

jiffers
10-12-2005, 10:49 AM
i would love to use a gt thunder crank but i live in the UK so shipping my crank to him and having him build one then shipping it back will cost more than just sending a hotrod crank over i already have the head bolts off him and the quality is 2nd to none and when i spoke to him on the phone he was just too helpful

jiff

NacsMXer
10-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I can see how living there would definitely complicate things a bit for you. Maybe others will chime in as far as that particular hotrod crank's reliability. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions on that simply because I have no first hand experience with them. I'd call up Laz again and discuss your options, he would likely be able to point you in the direction you should take

Rider#11
10-19-2005, 10:53 PM
2 years now on the poweroll stroker crank..the quads a beast..:devil: and of course no problems ever:cool: ...im now in the process of instaling a je 13:1 piston over 11:1

QuadJunkies
10-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by jiffers
i did a search on this do you know how many there are:eek2: but none to answer my question.
i have removed the 440 kit off my 2002 ex as the head gaskets kept blowing, so i installed heavy duty head studs but not that happy with the thread work i had done so thought i would go to a hotrod 4MM stroker but how reliable are these over big bore

jiff

do like I did and get a PC4000 from Duncan.... I havent blown a gasket yet.... :D