PDA

View Full Version : Using to much oil!?

dads400ex
06-15-2002, 04:37 PM
I have had my quad a little over 8 month's and I feel I broke it in right by not over reving it and not getting it to hot with a new motor, I am not unfamiliar with breaking in motors. But after riding for two days at Little Sahara the bike needed a little over a quart of oil and I had to top it off before the weekend this seems excesive and I am afraid that maybe the rings did not seat so I will probably have to rebuild the top end and was wondering if anybody else have had to rebuild this soon?
Sorry if this is rambling but I am frustrated that this may need to be done already.

dads400ex

06-15-2002, 05:09 PM
i had to build my 01 400. I did valve guides,seals,rings,piston, cylinder hone, valve seat grind

Dave400ex
06-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Well in the Manual the 400 takes like 1.95 Quarts. So if you are putting in that much then it may have to much Oil. Are you checking the Oil when it`s Cold? I know I put in 2 Quarts when I change my Oil and that gets it above the Low Line. I usually just fill it between the Full and Low line. If none of that is Wrong then you might want to get a 416 Piston.