PDA

View Full Version : please help me clear my head

standardryder
10-10-2005, 02:31 PM
hey, i have been thinking about this for a very time and i still cant make up my mind. I have had my 01 300ex since i was about 12-13ish (i am now 18) and i have decided to trade in the good ol 300. now here is my problem, next year i am going to start racing and i need a bigger quad. fist off i was thinking about getting a z400. cause there pretty cheap and have a decent amount of power. then i was thinking about goin all out and gettn a 450r, but then i bought a new truck, and with payments on that + insurence its come out to be about half my paycheck. i was also thinking about a 250r. cause you can find those now adayd modded out the *** for pretty cheap. and since i would be racing a 2 stroke would be very easy to re build when the time comes. i know this is another one of those "what kind of quad should i get" threads but i can be very picky sometimes and i would appriciate all of your opinions.

St Louis 400ex
10-10-2005, 03:15 PM
i am not saying get in debt but you only live once get what you want you could die tommrow I LIVE BY THAT

jwick07
10-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I have seen some very nice full race ready 440ex's on this site for sale, and parts are every where now. Just an idea

standardryder
10-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jwick07
I have seen some very nice full race ready 440ex's on this site for sale, and parts are every where now. Just an idea

i actually thought about a 400ex, but its not liquid cooled. thats what kinda threw me off. travis is trying to convice me to get a 250r and i dont like it then sell the motor and throw a yz426 in it. i dunno:confused:

theTman
10-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by standardryder
travis is trying to convice me to get a 250r and i dont like it then sell the motor and throw a yz426 in it. i dunno:confused:

:devil: do it do it do it

jwick07
10-10-2005, 04:12 PM
put and oversized oil tank on it with some air scoops and it is a extremely reliable quad

nacs400ex
10-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by jwick07
put and oversized oil tank on it with some air scoops and it is a extremely reliable quad

But it's still a 400ex, with a motor which was never meant for major modification.

Id recommend a 250r, however Im a little biased, because I wont buy a new thumper. I dont see why I should spend money on buying a machine thats underpar as far as racing is concerned, when my 19 year old quad will do the same if not better.

10-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by St Louis 400ex
i am not saying get in debt but you only live once get what you want you could die tommrow I LIVE BY THAT

I broke my leg 3 days after i got the first 06 450R in PA

Go all out.. just dont break anything like me n not be able to work n pay it off.. ill be in debt for like 2 more years lol

sampleez
10-10-2005, 09:14 PM
if you dealers are anything like the ones aroung here, DO NOT trade your bike in.......unless you wanna seriously get hammered. 9 times outta 10 they wont hardly give you jack $hit, even with a really nice, new bike.

it will prolly take longer to get rid of, but i'd try selling it

wilkin250r
10-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I love my 250r, but I'm seriously thinking about a YFZ or the new Suzuki. I heard a rumor (from a fairly reliable source) that one guy send his YFZ to Trinity Racing, and it came back pumping out 85 horsepower!

I know if I got my 250r to 85 horsepower, it would be nearly unridable, only good for drag racing. But a 4-stroke isn't going to be like that. Heck, even 75 ponies of 4-stroke thumping would be enough to give me a permanent hard-on every time I fired it up.

Scott-300ex
10-11-2005, 10:46 AM
just fyi im 18 and sellin my 300ex and gettin a 250r

sampleez
10-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I love my 250r, but I'm seriously thinking about a YFZ or the new Suzuki. I heard a rumor (from a fairly reliable source) that one guy send his YFZ to Trinity Racing, and it came back pumping out 85 horsepower!

I know if I got my 250r to 85 horsepower, it would be nearly unridable, only good for drag racing. But a 4-stroke isn't going to be like that. Heck, even 75 ponies of 4-stroke thumping would be enough to give me a permanent hard-on every time I fired it up.

i've heard some stories about trinity's dyno. seems it reads pretty ridiculously high. there is a guy at yfztech that got about 75 horse outta his yfz, but i think that was with NOS.

wilkin250r
10-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Well, yeah, there is always the disticnt possibility that it's not true. It could also be that the dyno at Trinity reads high because their down in SoCal, at like 85ft above sea level, so the dense air helps build power.

I certainly plan on verifying this rumor, and if possible, actually jump on this beast in question. :devil:

tater_kamik
10-11-2005, 01:07 PM
i think there is an 520 stroke/bore out there for the yfz, with enough work, im sure its possible to get up there, and my god, would it be fast:macho

standardryder
10-11-2005, 01:49 PM
well my bro just bought a bran new yfz and he gets bored with things fast, maybe he will sell it to me cheap before race season starts:p but right now im kinda leaning twards a 250r. i just dont have the cash for a bran new quad. and if im not comfortable with a 2 stroke, ill make it a hybrid. but a z400 isnt to expensive eather and those have some potential.
ahhhhhh i dont know!:grr: