PDA

View Full Version : Fuel question..100 octane low lead??

YZ400EX
10-10-2005, 01:32 AM
Ok here is my story..I have a friend who works at the airport here and everyday they have to sump their underground fuel tanks to remove water and debris from the bottom of the tanks and then they remove an extra 5-10 gallons of clean fuel just to make sure all the moisture and debris is out..Its just policy even though there isnt that much bad stuff in the first little bit that comes out..Well anyways all this clean fuel he is removing they just dispose of and instead of that I can have it all for free..some people out there use it in the cars and motorcycles and stuff like that, but I want to know how safe it is..I dont know much about fuel so I need some help..This fuel is 100 octane low lead fuel..I know that pump fuel now is lead free and that fuel used to have lead in it, but not anymore.. What does the lead do? Will this be too high of octane for me to run and will the lead hurt the motor at all?? If I was to use it should I run it straight or mix it with like 91 or 93 octane fuel?? Also my last question is: Since he has to sump this everyday would it collect moisture and stuff in it if I let it sit in my gas tank or gas cans for a period of time?? Any help on this will be much appreciated..

bwamos
10-10-2005, 07:37 AM
The fuel should be fine.

Lead is used to raise the octane. A lot of Race fuels contain lead.

The added octane wont hurt you at all. You won't see any benifit from it either, really, unless you have a higher compression piston.

The reason they have to clean out their tank so much, is because it's an airport. Not because of the fuel. If water gets in it and stalls out the engine it's a little more of a problem than it would be in a car. ;)

red2004 TRX450R
10-10-2005, 09:20 AM
The lead also acts as a lubricant for the valves and upper cylinder!
it is ok to run!

F-16Guy
10-10-2005, 12:54 PM
If you don't normally have to run high octane fuel (to prevent knocking, etc.), then I wouldn't run it. Aside from not being necessary, 100LL leaves quite a bit of lead deposits. I ran it straight at the dunes a few times and actually lead-fouled a plug. There are less deposits when you mix it, obviously, but if you don't need it in the first place, I wouldn't bother. Run the lowest octane you can get away with.

YZ400EX
10-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Well I do need a higher octane fuel to run..I have the YZ400 motor which is a very high compression engine and have to run at least 91 octane in it now..I mean like I said I can get about 5-10 gallons per day for free so thats the main reason I am wanting to know if it is safe..I guess I will try a little, maybe mix it with some 91 and see how it all works out..Thanks for all the info

F-16Guy
10-10-2005, 04:53 PM
If you're still getting pinging or knocking with 91, then yeah, you could mix it 50/50. I run it 50/50 at the dunes with no problems. I just wouldn't run it straight all the time because of the potential for deposits.

YZ400EX
10-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I dont get any pinging or anything with 91, but I figured I would try this out since its all free gas..I will probably mix it though just to be safe..Thanks for all the advice..

motoboy66
10-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Its ok to run, but will leave lead deposites on everything in the top end. Another note of caution, do not use it with synthetic oil. You can not get synthetic oil for airplanes as it does not mix well with 100LL. It doubles the speed that the lead deposites build. It is not uncomon to have lead fouled spark plugs in airplanes. I asked a couple of aircraft oil compainies about this and they all said when the trouble started they just quit making synthetics. I ran 100LL for almost a whole race season, and when I took my topend apart I had to spend hours cleaning all the lead deposites off the valves. Another thing you may want to consider is that most aircraft engines run very low RPM around 2500 max, your quad turns what around 9000? If it is free I would mix it 50/50. One thing about this fuel it does smell good out the back end.

ommkevin
10-11-2005, 02:44 PM
i use 87 and have no knocking
take all the gas u can get but mix it

tater_kamik
10-11-2005, 03:23 PM
^^^ and according to your sig, you have an bonestock ex, high comp motors need higher octane fuel... i would probably mix it, just for the pure fact you will have more higher octane fuel available to you for longer, and since you already said you dont have spark knock makes me think you really do not require that high octane fuel