PDA

View Full Version : 2005 GNCC "Powerline Park" Youth Discussion

660bigdaddy
10-09-2005, 08:29 AM
pappy, great coverage as always. it was a muddy day for sure.
btw, do you have any pics of the 8-10 limited class?

Pappy
10-09-2005, 08:32 AM
I dont believe so. My camera was on the fritz thanks to the rain. I would take 20 pictures and all I ended up with was a blank screen:(

My poor camera has mud and dust from so many races im surprised they dont slap a bar code on it. I may have some pics of racing from that class, but very few of all classes. Harlen may have had better luck and im sure he will post what he has.

660bigdaddy
10-09-2005, 08:44 AM
thanks pappy. sorry to hear about your camera. that was a nice article in atv sport about your boy and his quad. you guys are doing a great job of promoting the sport of youth atv xc. keep it up!

Pappy
10-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Getting EVERY young rider the recognition they deserve and the promotion of youth racing in general is what this isall about for me. I asked that ATVsport do atleast 1 youth rider every issue so hopefully they will follow thru.

And for next year, I think us parents are going to have to get together and try to place people along the course. Several parents and spectators, along with the riders have stated repeatedly that there needs to be more adults out there helping the riders. Racer Productions cant do it all, and we need to ensure the safety in the best ways we can. One parent told me kids were hitting others full force at bottlenecks due to visability issues and there was not anyone around to pitch in. The hillclimbs turned into a waiting game at some spots while riders who did not listen to couyrse workers did what they are allowed to do and went around the mess. The differing ages and riding level comes into play at these problem areas, and I think it needs to be openly addressed. I watched at one hill where the youngest riders were allowed multiple runs at the hill while capable riders were told to wait thier turn, costing valuable time to be lost. It boils down to safety, but there needs to be a suitable compromise.

450robot
10-09-2005, 09:46 AM
so pappy, you didnt get any pic of the morning races did you? or was your camera on the fritz then? did harlen get any? haha, im just excited cause i saw some 4 different people take my picture when i was racing,

and im sorry i couldnt meet you and your son, i was really looking foward to it, but we got there to late, and had to rush to signup and get to the start, then had to leave early cause my grandma was getting tired from being there all day

eh, maybe next time though

Arctic Cat Dad
10-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Pappy

Once again great coverage. I agree with you,on the help issue. At the HUGE bottleneck I was helping at it was a mess. There was always 10 or more quads there at all times. Very little help there. These riders need to know you can go 15' around a bottleneck. I'm suprised Michael didn't have limbs and brush hanging all over him. He spotted a line up thru the bushes and hit it.

See every1 in Indiana. Were praying for more rain. The Ironman is a little rougher add some rain and we have ourselves an awesome woods race!

Pappy
10-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Dad
Pappy

These riders need to know you can go 15' around a bottleneck.

That I think in lies one of the issues. My rider knows it along with others, but my son and others have repeatedly stated to me that either course workers or spectators hold them from making anew line or allowing them to work thier way around riders having difficulties on some of the obstacles.

If its a safety issue i would side 100% with the course worker or the spectator in most cases, but if it is merely an issue of they dont want 4 quads stuck instead of two then that is soley up to the rider. I say if a rider attempts a new line and gets stuck, he will have to either wait for help or get himself out. More times then not this scenario costs good riders better finishes. We have seen this in the local series and we were forced to run the 50 and 70cc classes seperatley from the 90 class simply to keep this from happening. I know that wont happen at the GNCC races, but it is a concern, atleast to me.

MICHAEL KELEMAN
10-09-2005, 11:40 AM
I have to agree with all of you. You never know what is going to happen during the course of a race and bottle necks are a part of it. However, if a rider has the ability to make a new line to get around one of these bottle necks then in my opinoin he or she should not be held back. This probably held Michael from a overall
on the fourth lap. Keeping this in mind I also know there are riders of all abilities lumped together on the track at one time and we also have to keep the safety of the younger riders in mind.
So we have to have some rules for every one to follow, not just some of the riders.......... all of the riders. We need to all get together at the next round with Rita and ask what the rules are going to be. I also have to ask if Bill Ballance or any of the pro riders with the overall lead or contention for the overall would be told you have to wait and not make a new line around a bottle neck. We all know the answer to that question.

Arctic Cat Dad
10-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Mr Keleman,

I agree with you 100%. I saw this with my very own eyes. There was a huge bottleneck where I was ,at all times. Then they tried to stop every1 and get them up the hill 1 at a time. But then you had the Top riders who were going after the overall who were held up and not let around. But there were a few and I will say a few who were smart enough with the race knowledge who just thought I'm getting thru this mess. And that's what they did!!! This is racing and they are racing against TIME. Every second counts!

These kids watch and learn from every race they watch.They see the pro's and every1 else useing there heads and make a new line. That's what there suppose to do. When we walk the track Michael looks for every place there might be a Bottleneck. When we find them we look for a line or 2 around them. These are the places where you can win or loose a race at. And he proved that this past race. Useing your head wins races.

But I also agree we need MORE parents all around these tracks. The local series we run at there are parents ALL around these tracks. And At these Bad places we gather in small groups. Because 1 guy can only do so much. Try keeping 58 quads moving at a huge bottleneck by your self or maby only 1 other guy there to help. I was whipped! We need to address this at the next race. All us parents need to get together and see where we all need to be. This is all for the kids safety. Because I hate to not see My kid for 15 minutes knot knowing is he pinned under his quad somewhere or is he just held up somewhere.

Sorry for such a long post But I saw it all this weekend. And it just about caused a him a win.

WV-V-Force
10-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Brent H's mom.... I experienced a problem in a bottle neck also...i was at the bottle neck with rita (or kerri jo) she was directing the kids in the order they came in line there was no other line to take it was a very thick brushy area and no where to go... the kids were all very patient, the problem was with one of the parents ... he took his child from the very back out around all the other riders waiting patiently in line to be helped by the parents up the hill...i was one of the parents out there pushing EVERY child up the hill not just my child...i told the gentleman that i did not think that it was very fair that he only pull his son out of line (from the very end of the line) crowd in in front of several other kids that were patiently waiting for their turn to get helped up the hill... when i would not let him through he decided to push me not once but twice the second time knocking me to the ground...in my opinion is this really worth it? I was busting my butt not just for my son but everyone's kid out there.. the only thing he did was push me down in the mud and help only his child...in my opinion if the child can find his own way around then fine but the parents dragging them out of line and pushing and shoving their child to the front is not right... then to beat all, he does not lift a helping hand to anyone else's child ... all the kids needed help in this section ...they are only kids not pros out there for a million bucks.

Pappy
10-09-2005, 02:50 PM
a parent pushed you to the ground:confused: did you inform anyone? i would not tolarate that and im very surprised at this!

fastmini
10-09-2005, 06:32 PM
People - look at what is being posted here! We finally get the oppertunity to race mini quads in the GNCC series and its turning into a circus! Once again a few will ruin it for all. If we want the minis on the schedule again we have to show racer productions that we really appreciate what they're doing for us. Also I would like to congradulate all youth riders for surviving power line park!( I told you it always rains there!) GREAT job Mikey Keleman and Dillon Kell for your outstanding early race charge! The Quad Gods let us make a HUGE withdrawal from the luck bank to pull out the win! Again- GREAT JOB EVERYONE!

Pappy
10-09-2005, 06:45 PM
I dont see it turning into a circus, I see it as concerned parents and racers working to better things for everyone. The pushing story is way above the line of what I feel any of us would consider being the normal actions taken by the majority of riders parents. I am ashamed for it to even be mentioned and I hope that this type of situation is never heard of again, its just plain low class and poor taste and I hope its dealt with.

As far as Racer Productions,they need to be made aware of our concerns and or issues. If they decided the mini's werent to be included then that is thier choice. Everyone I know pays to race the event and should follow the rules they have set forth. I concern myself with us being included in the series, but not to the point where I will stand by and let a man push a woman to the ground or turn a blind eye to normal race issues that need to be taken to RP. First year growing pains that will be worked out im certain.

As I stated earlier, we can not expect them to man every possible location, and I am sure we can all keep this in mind to help spread out the help and hopefully prevent some of this in the future. I will gladly leave the camera at home and hit the woods to help out.

MJ4RACING
10-10-2005, 04:56 AM
I agree with Mike Keleman. If the rider can make it around the bottleneck, let him go. I saw first hand how "Mikey" got slowed down. There was a line around one of the bottlenecks just wide enough for him to make it around but he was told to wait. Racing is racing not waiting. The proclaimed "course official" was not wearing anything that she could be identified by. These kids can be told to do anything out there and I would just about bet that most of them will listen, because they all seem like great kids.

I do wish more parents would get out there and help...I pushed until could not push anymore. I would also like to thank the nice lady that helped my son off of the stump he was stuck on when he chose not to "wait".

I am surprised about the pushing...most of the people I have met have been wonderful. However, this is our first year racing.
Thanks for your time,
Mike Ferraro

GNCC Laeger 250
10-10-2005, 09:03 AM
I want to thank Racer Productions for starting the Youth ATV races. I think it is the best thing for GNCC in a long long time. Talk about talented young riders...........Great job everyone and I want to especially thank everyone for helping out these young riders in the tight spots as I am one who not only helps out my son, but whomever needs help. I also want to say great job Brayden Shick!!!!!!!! Running second or third in the 0-70cc....bottleneck got him also, but I think his lap four time was the fastest in his class. Brayden is my #1 fan and has been going to GNCC races since he was 2 or 3. I'm a very proud dad who not only enjoys watching my son race, but everyone who throws a leg over their quad.

Thanks Again
Blaine Shick
GNCC #33

MICHAEL KELEMAN
10-10-2005, 09:30 AM
hey,
This is mikey keleman on my dads name.I would like to thank Arctic cat dad for leting me use the rag to wipe my eyes i mite not have finished the race without that and helping my way through the jam up at the hill.also mJ4Racing for helping me up the hill to it helped alot.pappy great photos.

Great job to Michael Mussi Jr for first in your class i know you will have more!!!!!!!!!

see you all at the next round

mikey keleman

Pappy
10-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Mikey, that was a tough race. When you grabbed the lead and came out of the woods I was thinking, man they are going to have a hard time catching him! Great race, and I have no doubt you will get an overall very soon!

trx90-863
10-10-2005, 04:32 PM
This is Kyle Riley i would like to thank all the parents that helped me. Me and Cody Hill had a good race I seen where Cody got his tire caught with another riders tire. I got high centered on a log in the same place it cost me a lot of time I would like to thank Deven Langford for telling my dad where i was high centered he would have never found me in time I would also like to congratulate Micheal Mussi on his first place win!!!! I hope to podium in the Ironman like I did last year. I liked that track! Cody Hill good luck on your points chase . I also agree with micheal keleman about the bottlenecks and waiting in line they made me wait I listened because they are track officials and wanted to folow the rules.

Kyle Riley #151

Codeman
10-10-2005, 04:55 PM
I thought the same to about the bottlenecks. Thank you for wishing me luck and the same for you about getting on the podium at Ironman. Hopefully I will be standing beside you!

I thought the track was good, I just wish it was drier. The hangup on the first lap killed me. We just could not get our quads apart. The bottleneck on the hill was frustrating. I just wish there was a better way to get around bottlenecks on hills where the younger racers are having problems. I also listen to the officials and sat there waiting for my run at the hill.

Thank you to all that helped myself and others we really appreciate it. Kyle, I did not even know you were racing this race and I did not know I passed you in the field. It was cool seeing you and Devon again. See you all at the Ironman.

Cody Hill

Arctic Cat Dad
10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
This bottleneck caused every1 a shot at the overall. At 1 time I saw Keleman, Boso, Dulucca,(SP), Howell, all just sitting there. Walker was there with the front runners too. It was a total mess. But you kids did the right thing , you all went way up high around the bottleneck. .

This is why we all should surround the track and know what is going on. I know I helped till I couldn't push know more. But I will always be there for the little kids.

Mikey Kelleman I'll always be there to help you in anyway. That goes to all you kids!:)

quad mom 1
10-10-2005, 06:30 PM
bottlenecks are going to happen, it's part of racing. and yes every rider should be inform they have 15 feet on either side to get around, but keep in mind that's to get around the mess then you come right back to the track, it's not to cut the track a whole corner- it was done this race and it did cost serveral riders to lose position & others to gain alot. I believe racer productions should have one check point in the youth races, they have two to three in morning & pro race. what does everyone else think? as for more parents helping out I strongly agree, we help every rider we can. we have made some good friends in gncc, we even pitt each other kids. let's all remember what we are there for OUR KIDS. THANK YOU PAPPY FOR THE PICS

fastmini
10-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi everyone this is Walker. I know how everyone hates bottlenecks and the only other thing that compared to those were the ones at the first NC race. Id hate to say it but they actually helped me this race. I started dead last and for the first few laps was 11th or 10th. At the bottlenecks i made up so much time since everyone was sitting there. That was my only shot of a good finish and luck was deffinatly at my side. If that ever happens to anyone NEVER give up! Congradulations to anyone that finished that race. That was a tough one. I believe that there should be atleast one check point on our tracks but the only way to make them effective is if they keep track of time between checks and not just put a punch on that little white tag like last years Ironman GNCC. Thanks for the pics pappy and harlen!

vince delucca
10-11-2005, 05:24 PM
hi, this is Devon DeLucca, i would like to thank Pappy for his coverage, it's awsome.and for Racer Productions for having us. Thanks also to the Pro's Johnny G, Santo D. and Brandon S. for being on the line and encouraging us. As for the log jam this is racing it requires skill, but luck is a big part of it. See you all in Indiana.

Devon

holeshot19
10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
someone take a pix of the ohio atv shirt and post it for me thanks

ATV403
10-13-2005, 03:43 PM
I would like to congratulate Joshuah Dains on wrapping up the Limited 11-15 class championship. He made several podiums this year starting from the second row. He was riding a near stock Honda 90 and held his own very well. I bet on one of those built Kasea's he could really fly. Now lets hope for a 13-15 year old class for next year where they could ride 300EX's or Blasters. Maybe they could start in the back row of the 10:00 program. Great job Joshuah.