View Full Version : Removing tires

weylin70
10-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I just recently replaced my stock tires with ITP Sandstars and ITP rims. I had no problem putting them on but now I'm having trouble taking them off. I noticed that the stock rims had like a washer on the inside of them and the ITP rims didn't. Also, what can I do to prevent this from happening in the future? Any help will be appreciated. This is on a Honda 400EX.

hardkoratvmxr
10-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I heard that you can lay a board on the tire going to the edge of the rim and drive a car on it to break the bead then it is really easy. All you do is pry the tire upand go around until it is off.

TheFontMaster
10-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
I heard that you can lay a board on the tire going to the edge of the rim and drive a car on it to break the bead then it is really easy. All you do is pry the tire upand go around until it is off.

I think hes talking about taking the rims not comming off the hubs. Is it the lug nuts that you are having trouble getting off or the rim itself. If it's your lug nuts get a bigger wrench or grow some muscles. If it's the rims, just hit the top of the rim with a big rubber mallet, or put a piece of wood against the top of the rim and hit it with a sledge hammer.

JOEX
10-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm guessing you put the lug nuts on the ITP rims with the tapered side toward the rim, not a good thing:ermm:

You can take the hub and wheel off the axle and try pounding the hub off the rim that way..... set the rim flat on blocks of wood so the hub has a few inches of space under it. Put the nuts on the studs so the threads don't get damaged.

To prevent this from happening again, turn the nuts around so the flat side is against the rim. Some people use a washer too.

weylin70
10-09-2005, 08:32 PM
I have the lug nuts off but the rim is kind of wedged against the studs. I've tried hammering it with a rubber mallet, prying it out, and putting a piece of wood behind the tire and hammering it. I can't get it to budge. What next

TheFontMaster
10-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Get a bigger hammer:macho