PDA

View Full Version : heim or ball joint

Over-land 450r
10-09-2005, 11:33 AM
people say there bad and good. whats the deal with them. i ride Mx. and wanted to get extended a-arms but dont no what kind to get. American star or burgards. american star has a heim and burgard has the ball joint. what would be better out of the 2. please dont tell me to go long travel or get a different kind. these are my options. thanks in advance rob

BLACKeR
10-09-2005, 06:20 PM
heims work smoother and wont bind as easily. they are also caster adjustable. (changes how fast/easy your steering is) but they will probly wear out quicker than balljoints. i hear the new ASR heims are teflon coated so they last longer. either arm is a good arm and you wont have trouble with either unless your a really hard rider. so the only real question is do you want to have to pay $100 bucks every couple years to replace your heims. i have heims now, and the only complaint is they do need to be replaced more than ball joints

Ginxd00
10-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Over-land 450r
people say there bad and good. whats the deal with them. i ride Mx. and wanted to get extended a-arms but dont no what kind to get. American star or burgards. american star has a heim and burgard has the ball joint. what would be better out of the 2. please dont tell me to go long travel or get a different kind. these are my options. thanks in advance rob

If it helps I just sold a piar of Janessen +2's with heims. I used them for a season and replaced the heims twice. I used FK heims and they were $30 a piece. I ride MX mostly and a little XC. The heims DO NOT like mud or grit. After shelling out another $120+ in heims I had gave thought to Burgards +2's. Recently the heims started showing signs of slop again so instead of buing more heims I sold the arms and bought Burgards. I have had them for almost 2 months with no problems what so ever. I am happy with the Burgards and as of now I would never look at another pair of heim joint arms again, thats my experience its all up to you.

Hammer trx450r
10-09-2005, 06:23 PM
And ball joints can be cross referenced to auto tie rods, and you get them at pep boys for 20 bucks a pop