PDA

View Full Version : Oil levels

lawnman757
10-08-2005, 04:22 PM
HI,
I just purchased a 2000 400ex and it did not come with an owners manual. My question is regarding checking the oil levels. Do you check with engine cold? I arrived at the gentlemans house and the bike was already warmed up and showed oil on the dipstick. I checked it at home with it cold and it's not showing. Rather safe then sorry. Thanks for the help.

PunkA$$
10-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Kinda risky buying a bike from a guy that warmed it up ahead of time.

Anyhoo.

- Let it run for 5 minutes.
- Remove dipstick / wipe
- reinsert till touching threads. DO NOT SCREW IN.
- Oil should be at top of gridded area.

Might not show when cold.

lawnman757
10-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the response. Just barely touching dipstick. I will add a few ounces to that tank.

lawnman757
10-08-2005, 05:12 PM
I am not sure what oil the other guy ran. Should i drain it instead of just adding to it?

shorgasm
10-08-2005, 05:31 PM
1st thing I do when I buy a used toy.

1..Ride it exactly the way the previuos owner has it..not playing just get a feel for gears,clutch,tires and brakes..stuff like that.This way you have a base to work from.

2.Drain all fluids and let them sit overnight to check for contaminents and such.

3.Do a "real important" bolt/nut check.

4.Start with fresh everything..brake pads Brake fluid chain/sprockets and fuel/battery.

You can tell pretty quick if a bike has been maintained or not by what kinda condition certain things are in.if they are generally worn out just replace all of them before they break somehting expenxive and leave you stranded somewhere ugly..I have to trust my machines before I really ride them.To be stupid you better be rich...I'm not.