PDA

View Full Version : Rancher running hot!

DaGrassman
10-08-2005, 10:50 AM
JUst bought a 2002 Rancher with around 300 miles on it. It seems to run very hot. We have only had it out a few times and it runs fine but the engine gets hot as he**. Neither the fan or the temperature light has come on. My 300EX is always much cooler to the touch even though I am running it much harder than my wife is running the Rancher. The Rancher gets hot in less than a mile. Do Ranchers normally run on the hot side? Even though the miles are low I would say they were rough ones. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

DaGrassman
10-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Forgot to mention that it was leaking some oil from the valve cover but I snugged the bolts down and it stopped.

DaGrassman
10-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Anyone???????????????????

Ghost-Rider
10-10-2005, 01:19 PM
my dads rancher is either an 02 or 03 but it the 4X4 es but we put on a warn 2X4 and it seems find i mean there was last winter when i started it up for like 2 mins n it died ( outside in cold winter snow) n it stalled when iddleing n went to hit the primer on carb and burn the %*^# outa my hand but thats bout it

Travis712
10-10-2005, 08:09 PM
You can rig up the fan so you can turn it on manually. But drain the oil, put new stuff in and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT AMOUNT! Make sure of that. Bad oil is better for your engine then not enough oil.

RIDER11X
10-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by DaGrassman
Forgot to mention that it was leaking some oil from the valve cover but I snugged the bolts down and it stopped.

If you haven't rode it much, it may be oil that Honda puts around the spark plug before they ships the quads. My 400ex had oil down the front of the cylinder due to this only a few hours into the break in, and got me :mad: ! I found out about this shipping oil, and that the dealer was supposed to blow that out before delivery. It came out when I was going down a steep hill instead.