PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Electrical Problem!

JMANN1848
10-07-2005, 11:52 PM
I just bought a beat up 00 400ex and stripped it down, had the motor rebuilt, powder coated everything and bought everything it needed to make it look and ride like new. My problem is when I put it all back together it turned over a few times and then the electrical system went completely dead. I would turn the key and the nutural light would come on and I hit the starter button and the quad went dead including the nutral light and it never regained power. I bought battery and a new harness with the ignition modual,coil,starter solenoid,run/kill switch and rectifier attached but it still has the same problem. I tracked the power from the battery up to the ignition switch and then back to the rectifier but that's where it's a dead end for me.I had it running when I first bought it so I know it will run but now I can't get power. Any help would be great!

10-08-2005, 08:42 AM
did u check the head light wires cuz usualy they rub on the brake like braket and then u get a short.

10-08-2005, 10:35 AM
also check your fuses...

96lapis coupe
10-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Did you grind off the powdercoat in all the spots on the frame that act as a ground? The main one to check is the main black wire from the battery to the frame, make sure it's grounded to bare metal or it might not be making a solid ground.

JDiablo
10-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Try recharging your battery,check all your connections and scrape off any powdercoat where you have to make a connection to the frame,and check your fuses

JMANN1848
10-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys! I figured it out this morning. I already had the powder coat off for the battery gound and the harness ground by the coil but I didn't grind off the powder where the subframe attaches to the main frame so I wasn't getting a good ground to the motor or the harness.