PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on clutches

MacMan27
10-06-2005, 09:05 PM
i still have a stock clutch in my z400. does an aftermarket clutch really help that much. If so what would be the best kind. Thanks

Colby@C&DRacing
10-07-2005, 08:19 AM
if you are not having problems with your stock clutch then you don't need to replace it. if it is sliping you can go back to the stock clutch or go with a aftermarket, the aftermarket ones are supposed to take more abuse and grip better.

400exrider707
10-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by MacMan27
i still have a stock clutch in my z400. does an aftermarket clutch really help that much. If so what would be the best kind. Thanks

If your not running a modded motor, the OEM plates, although kinda expensive, will last a really long time. You can basically run any plates and fibers you want, but once you do mods, stiffer clutch springs will be a must-have. If your looking for a cheap replacement, try a tusk one for about $30. They hold up surprisingly well.

Sc0
10-08-2005, 07:25 PM
If it's not slipping don't worry about it.

Hotcams
Port & Polish
12:1 DRZ gasket
FCR40
Yoshi 11.5k ignition
Yoshi Rs-3 exhaust
Foam Pro Flow without airbox lid
Hipers with 20" Razr2's.

Bike has 130hrs on it.... and the Clutch is still good. When the clutch does go out it will be replaced with Moose fibers/plates/and HD springs. Thumpertalk is a good place to look for info and from what I remember Barnett plates/fibers weren't recommended due to fit/QC issues. Don't know about Tusk but I would think that they might be the same as Moose.