PDA

View Full Version : 400ex carb

EXMARK
10-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Can anyone tell me what the stock carb on a 2002 400ex is? The carb on my bike has been leaking out of the tube on the bottom of the float bowl. The guy at the honda shop tells me I need a new carb body ($298).Does this sound right? How much is a new carb? I feel like they may be trying to give me the shaft. When I get this taken care of I will learning how to do this work myself.Any help would be appreciated

shorgasm
10-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Lol, I'd put my money on the float needle being stuck.This happens one of two ways..either the seat of the float needle is worn or dirty.OR the rubber tip is worn or torn...trust me!..the slightest little bit of wear on the float needle will cause fuel to over run.

How does the motor run overall??

I could be wrong and you could have a crack somewhere that is leaking fuel but I have never seen that happen...usually when the float sticks or leaks the motor will run real fat(rich).Kinda boggyish.

EXMARK
10-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Shoregasm, The bike has been running rich latley having to put plug after plug in. The bike runs ok from no to half throttle and coughs alittle half to full. Just noticed the fuel leaking the other day, Since I 'm new to quads took it to the dealer to get serviced and ck on the fuel leaking. The mechanic said the float tower was damaged, he said noway to fix without a new carb body. This is why I was curious to see what a new carb cost.

shorgasm
10-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Screw that...buy a used carb from someone on here and swap it out..$50 tops.easy as pie switch...never buy a new old style carb.Total waste of money.The rich/plug fouling in a 4stroke means float issues.You should almost never HAVE to change a plug in a 4stroke.Pure age and lots of hours is the norm for changing.

If I were you I would check that carb out myself and see what kinda problem the "tower" is having.The tower is what the float needle sits in.I guess it is possible that it is bad or worn from someone tryin to clean it improperly.

Actually screw that last idea...just buy another good clean carb and switch them out..simple as that.Chasing float problems can be a real PITA!

2004exrider
10-06-2005, 07:40 PM
id probly just go on ebay and get one, there always on there and are always extremely cheap. id get a carb off a 2004 or higher just because its a little bigger, 38mm and any year under that i believe is a 35mm. someone correct me if im wrong in any way though.

Jimmy

EXMARK
10-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I just got a brand new carb (Less than 6 hours on it). I will be swaping them out.

EXMARK
10-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Got the new carb put on. Now have set it with a 155main jet,40 slow jet. The needle is on the 4th grove from the top and I'm 2 1/4 turn out on mix screw. This has fixed the problem, boy she's fast when running right. Thanks to all the guys that gave advice.