PDA

View Full Version : shortys?

zedicus00
10-05-2005, 09:20 AM
how many of u out there hav a short rod engine. :D spare the jokes pleese. and are you planning on going to a longrod setup next rebuild or are you wanting to stick witht he short rod setup?

pros and cons of both?

also how about stroked setups, and how far can u stroke a short rod?

(seriously, spare the HS d!ick jokes on this one pleese)

Jester
10-05-2005, 09:52 AM
I have one, I'm not complaining. was in it when I bought it.

baker250r
10-05-2005, 05:56 PM
i got one too... to be honest, ive never rode a long rod motor

but im happy with mine. i know the stock shortrods had a hard time pullin 6th gear. but once they grew up... ;) they ran good

beerock
10-05-2005, 06:25 PM
well good luck getting a oem honda short rod crank. they dont make them anymore.

I'll tell you this I have built alot of 250r motors. I have built and rebuilt my own motors plenty of times as well. The best setup for longevity is the 88 crank with a 88-89 piston. I have run short rods with 86 pistons, 88 rods with 86 pistons and spacer plate. the 88rod 86 piston setup does give a less snappier but broader power band which is great but not the most reliable as far as running it HARD for more then 40 hours. Honda changed the wrist pin location for a reason, it caused to much stress on the piston and the 86 pistons WILL fail and break the skirt If not changed every 20 hours or so. I Have 88 rod -88 piston setup and I ran it very hard for more then 200 hours and then the lower rod bearing blew. I have never seen a 86 set up run this long after continuous race use.

If you want you could get a short rod from weisco if they still make them but honestly I would never touch a weisco crank. they either last a long time or blow up right away. not cool when you just spent alot of money building a motor, new or used.

strokiing a short rod???:chinese:

zedicus00
10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
i think imma stick with the short rods. and yes i run a wiseco crank, seems to be doing fine

yeah i heard of 1 guy wit a 4 mill stroke on a short rod engine. he said it revved fast and had more low end grunt, i think i remember him sayin it was around 330 cc's too.

so u dont like the spacer plate setup too much? ill admit i had a skirt explode on me once but it was after well over 40 hours on the engine and since then, and with going to get everything in the topend cryoed, ive neveer lost a piston.

86-250Rnut
10-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Yes i have a short rod:scary: and i like it lots, and dont plan on going with a long rod. simpley becase i like the fast revs.
Mitch:macho

JTRtrx250r
10-06-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by 86-250Rnut
Yes i have a short rod:scary: and i like it lots, and dont plan on going with a long rod. simpley becase i like the fast revs.
Mitch:macho yup... me 2, I actually would like a long rod just b/c I dont have 1... in the R motor's :p

also you cant beat OEM cranks;) they the goods:macho

spdygonzalez450
10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
i have had a short rod and a long rod motor i like the long rod. people say they dont rev as good but i love my long rod motor, it revs awesome has a little bit more power on the bottom end, and when it gets in the upper RPMS it rips. if i buy another R it wil be a long rod for sure.

robyone
10-06-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm running a short rod right now, I do like how it revs, but it seems to top out sooner than my long rod did. I will be putting the long rod back in when I rebuild.

beerock
10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
The reason the 86 rod doesnt rev as high or has as much bottom end is because fo the extra stress on the piston skirt. guys, theres a reason why honda changed the rod and piston pin location, longevity and balance. ALL my 86 pistons have exhaust skirt wear NONE of my 88 pistons have skirt wear.

long rods are better

zedicus00
10-07-2005, 06:53 AM
is the counter ballance heavier on a stock longrod motor?

Antony250R
10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I have an 88 long rod motor and an 85 ATC short rod motor. I ran them both in the same bike. The short rod motor revs higher and pulls harder in the top end. The long rod motor has a harder hitting midrange but will not rev as high. Both motors are stock with no porting, same pipe and gas.
I haven't ran them long enough to tell which one is more reliable. They both have the famous 250R piston slap knocking sound. I like the 88 long rod motor better because the power hits harder and it feels like it has more low end power.

bananas
10-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Do you want to sell one?

My 87 has long rod and my sons has a short rod.... We are getting more power on the short rod in lower gears and the long rod will catch the 86, If you can take the rocks in yor face...

beerock
10-09-2005, 01:07 PM
the short rod has a snappier feel which feels like more power but if the 88 is catching it thatshows what has more power.