PDA

View Full Version : 450R locks up, need warranty help

Blown 331
10-05-2005, 07:30 AM
My buddy and I each bought a 450R in January of 2004, they were some of the first ones. We both got the 4 year warranty. This passed weekend my buddy was riding his and it started to loose power and make some noise, kinda like a squeaking sound. He shut it off and it would kick over but didn't sound good, then it totally locked up.

He called the dealer and they said that is probably not covered by the warranty, kinda funny. I work for a vehicle mantenance management company so I know what to say and how to get things covered but I'm looking for some ammunition. I've had to fight to get things covered in the passed but and was successful but it wasn't anything this major.

My buddy told them there is a problem with the crank bearings locking up and that's probably what happed which would be a manufacturers defect, not anything he did. He changes his oil very frequently and the dealer knows that, he always buys the oil from them. The dealer said they have never heard of a crank bearing failure. So basically I'm looking for some proof that there is a problem with the crank bearing. Like Honda bulletin numbers or something like that. Or if anyone has any other advice I'd love to hear it. Thanks

duke416ex
10-05-2005, 08:28 AM
My bro had one that the top end came apart on. They just tried to blame it on being run low of oil, which it wasn't. The service manager aargued with Honda til they finally said they would pay for parts but not labor. If the local dealer won't do anything for you try to find the next closest one and maybe they will. Also, if you don't have any luck with them call Honda Cunstomer Relations and argue with them until you have some success.

kyex40047
10-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda are B****es about warrenty work. I had dirt go through my carb and into my intake about 4 monthes after I got it. I cleaned and oiled the air filter regularly and they said I nevre oiled the air filter. So i went down there and they showed me the air filter and there was spots all over it were there was still oil on there but yet they still wouldn't warranty it. I called honda customer service and told them the story and had to fight with them and finally they gave me the parts and I had to pay for labor. The funny thing is, I took the bike in the week before and had them clean out the carb and they never said anything about my air filter.

10-05-2005, 12:56 PM
There is a crank bearimg issue in the early models. Do a search you should find a lot of threads on it.

Blown 331
10-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
There is a crank bearimg issue in the early models. Do a search you should find a lot of threads on it. +

Yeah, I know that but the dealer says there is no crank bearing issue and telling them I read about it on internet forums isn't going to cut it. I need something solid to go on such as a bulletin number ect.

10-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Call Honda yourself 1-866-784-1870.