PDA

View Full Version : Dune Setup Questions

04TRX400EX
10-05-2005, 12:07 AM
I have a '04 400EX that I am going to be taking to the dunes at Glamis for the first time in November. I need to start getting some things together and ready for the trip. My quad is stock right now but I want to do some mods to it. I am thinking a K&N filter with an Outerwears wrap and a Dr. D slip-on exhaust. I am also going to run ITP Sand Stars. Here are the questions though:

Should I switch to a 14 tooth front sprocket for more low-end power?

Do I need to get front and rear paddles or just rears (I understand that the fronts aren't actually paddles btw, they're ribbed or whatever)

Anyone have any idea what jetting I should run with the above mentioned mods (exhaust and filter)? I live in AZ btw, and usually ride at about 2000-3000 feet elevation.

Thanks in advance!!

jsmith2232
10-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I am running with the mods listed in my sig and i do pretty good, i can keep up with most of the z 400s and other 400 ex's and some 450's depending on the rider if you plan on running the sand stars i would get a hotcam or drop a tooth in the front. unless you plan on starting a drag in 1st gear. in order for me to get a good second gear holeshot i had to run 2.75 psi and then sometimes it still hooked up too quick. other than that i would suggest a rev box they really help lengthen out your gears out in the open sand and it really helps to work on those 450's.

key4202003
10-05-2005, 06:51 PM
gearing wise i run 14/39 and love it. more torque to throw the sand outta the way;) i run my lid off with uni air filter. 42/158 but gotta pipe and modded stock hedder. im at 5300ft.

djgrooven
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I run a a 13/38 sprocket combo on my 400. It has a a FMF powercore 4 with the powerbomb pipe, curtis sparks advance timing key, open air box with no lid and I have skat-trak edge paddles with the stock knobbies in the front. that set up runs fine for me.

04TRX400EX
10-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I am not overly concerned with drag racing, maybe a little with some friends for fun, but nothing serious. So if I get what you all are saying, I should go down one size on the front sprocket if I don't want to get into the engine cam and all that. So I have a 2004, so stock is going to be a 15 tooth, so I should go down to a 14 in front, right? What would changing the rear chainwheel do (stock is 38 I believe)?

Any more words on the front paddles?

Another question too: will a K&N be a direct replacement or do I need to get an adaptor or something?

Thanks again!

key4202003
10-06-2005, 02:54 PM
stock is 15/38. taking tooth off front, put in back make torque galore. tooth off front=2in back. THINK HIGHER TOOTH COUNT SLOWER SPIN, LOWER TOOTH COUNT FASTER SPIN. K&N NEEDS NO MOD, BUT MAKE THE A/F MIXTURE LEANER. if it were me i would NOT run a K&N AT ALL!!!! its a dirt sucker for sure!!!!!!

400exrider0004
10-06-2005, 05:08 PM
If your worried about sand or dirt getting into the filter then get a pre-filter it does a great job!!!! I have on so I know from experience.

I have ITP Sand Stars both front and black ! The front make a world of difference!!! So if i were you I would get both front and back paddles, lower front sprocket size, and get an exhaust!!!

04TRX400EX
10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004
If your worried about sand or dirt getting into the filter then get a pre-filter it does a great job!!!! I have on so I know from experience.

I have ITP Sand Stars both front and black ! The front make a world of difference!!! So if i were you I would get both front and back paddles, lower front sprocket size, and get an exhaust!!!

Good to know. That's exactly what I am going to do.

Thanks for all the responses!

djgrooven
10-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I run A Uni filter with an outer cover as the lid
if you can find a 13 tooth front sprocket go with that. I love the way it runs with that.

smokinwrench
10-06-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm completely opposite of all these guys.

I run 16/38 gearing and love it.

I have aslip onpipe stage 2 cam also. If you get so low geared it makes your low gears to low to be usuable.

djgrooven
10-06-2005, 09:30 PM
You run a 16/38 for the dunes??
That is what I run for desert use.
I have tried a 16t and it works but for where I go, climbing the dunes works A LOT better with a 13t in the front. I am not pegged out in 3rd gear climbing Comp hill

TC440EX
10-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Let s clear something up PLEASE. You don't run paddles on the front.They are called front runners, Rib, Mohawks, etc. Paddles go on the rear and front runners or other type of ribbed tire goes on the front. As for gearing with mild mods, 15/38 for small dunes and 14/38 for larger dunes. I run 15/38 but have many mods.

04TRX400EX
10-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX

Do I need to get front and rear paddles or just rears (I understand that the fronts aren't actually paddles btw, they're ribbed or whatever)

I don't think anyone was actually saying to run paddles on the front. It's just easier to refer to them as that.

As for dune size, what do you consider Glamis?

ninis470
10-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
I don't think anyone was actually saying to run paddles on the front. It's just easier to refer to them as that.

As for dune size, what do you consider Glamis?
glamis is well, HUGE, do not get lost. don't ride alone, use a gps if you have one. be carefull...

smokinwrench
10-07-2005, 05:40 AM
Yes I run 16/38 for dunes, but I ride at little sahara which is tiny compared to glamis.

I just switch from skat trak 8 paddle haulers to skat trak 10 paddle edge, I haven't ran the edge yet.

I don't run front runners, I run I razrs.

I have more power and can pull hills better then every other 400ex I run iwth.

I wouldn't spend a ton of extra cash on front tires, unless you just have it to blow.

04TRX400EX
10-07-2005, 02:42 PM
OK, sorry if I sound dumb but now there are opinions for two opposite setups. I was under the impression that for dunes, it was better to go down one tooth on the front sprocket so that you can get more low-end torque for getting out of the sand. What advantage would there be to going to a larger sprocket, like a 16 tooth that some of you are saying you use? Won't that take away low-end - the opposite of what you want? Maybe I am just unsure of the dunes since I haven't ridden them before. Is it better to have more low-end or top-end?

djgrooven
10-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Just stick to the 14 tooth front sprocket for the dunes

smokinwrench
10-07-2005, 04:58 PM
If it were me going to the dunes for the first time knowing what I know now.

I would buy the cheapest set of sand sharks on dougleas blue label wheels. I would keep stock gearing. Buy kn filter and slip on pipe if that was your orignal plan. After you've been to the dunes 2-3 times then spend the cash to buy some higher grade stuff such as skat traks. After a weekend of ridign you will know what gearing you will want.

It would be terrible to spend all this cash on tons of dune parts and not enjoy the dunes enough to go all the time.

phishboy66
10-20-2005, 11:57 AM
How about this, Go to any of the parts retailers and buy a 14t front. They are $10-20 I think. Then go to the dunes and ride for awhile on your stock sprocket.. Come back to camp and change to the new 14. It should take about ten minutes to change the sprocket and readjust the chain.. Now cruise out for another ride... Now you can make the best informed decision,and it only cost you ten minutes of work and $20 bucks. If you dont like the 14t, someone on here will probably buy it from you, if not, sell it on ebay. I change back and forth between 14 & 15 just like I change between my razors and my paddles... I ride in a place that has lots of trails and some sand... Hope this helps.

and remember, opinions are like .....well, nevermind you get the drift