PDA

View Full Version : How do they ride?(400ex with 450r shocks)

Rootar
10-04-2005, 09:49 PM
DO NOT POST IN THIS thread telling me why i shouldnt do it ok AND DONT TELL ME TO search becasue i have and besides ive been reading all the threads about them since they first started.

ok so for those of you who have the 450r shocks on your 400 how do they ride ? are they stiff? good for big jumps? are they ridable at slower speeds? i weigh about 150-160 wiht my gear on. and ill mainly be hitting my fmx ramp and doing wheelies and playing in the pasture. (may hit the track a few times) i jsut wanna know if these would work very well for me. here in about a week ill have aobut $500 but since i was being an idoit and doing 3rd gear 360s on the wet corner of our pasture and flipped my quad monday mourning i now have to get a new stem becasue mine is cracked and bent and twisted but some how nothing else is wrong not even a scratch any where just a messed up stem. so thats why im looking at the R shocks becasue i can get them for about 220 and then get an atfermarket stem to replace my busted one. these will only be on the quad till christmas NO LATER than Januray for sure.

i jsut need something for now cause my stock fronts are killing my shoulders if i dont land ABSOLUTELY PERFECT off my ramp i mean come on everyone gets slightly nose high every 5 or so jumps.

so are they gonna work or not work for me?

Rootar
10-05-2005, 10:25 PM
come on i know people are running them so how do they ride

Sjorge450R
10-06-2005, 04:48 AM
here is a place where you can get the steering stem cheap and it is very good quality.
http://dtdyno.com/

Rootar
10-06-2005, 07:54 AM
well thsoe are just as high as everywhere else ive checked... i dotn wanna buy another stock one jsut to bend it next time i roll it

if i do get an aftermarket ill prolly get a Houser stem they seem to be the toughest stem on the market

khen
10-06-2005, 08:39 AM
I found the 450R front shocks to be a big improvment over the stock 400 shocks, although mine were revalved by TCS when I bought them so it's probably not a fair comparison..

My brother put stock 450R shocks on his KFX though, and doesn't seem to have a complaint with them.

We ride MX and do a lot of jumping at the dunes.

Rootar
10-06-2005, 09:51 AM
well i just called houser and they had some stems on clearance and i gota +0 powered coated stem so it looks as if ive got enough for my elka recs after all

10-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I have them on the front and the ride quality is amazing. i can hit holes in the rode and hardly feel them

10-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
DO NOT POST IN THIS thread telling me why i shouldnt do it ok AND DONT TELL ME TO search becasue i have and besides ive been reading all the threads about them since they first started.

ok so for those of you who have the 450r shocks on your 400 how do they ride ? are they stiff? good for big jumps? are they ridable at slower speeds? i weigh about 150-160 wiht my gear on. and ill mainly be hitting my fmx ramp and doing wheelies and playing in the pasture. (may hit the track a few times) i jsut wanna know if these would work very well for me. here in about a week ill have aobut $500 but since i was being an idoit and doing 3rd gear 360s on the wet corner of our pasture and flipped my quad monday mourning i now have to get a new stem becasue mine is cracked and bent and twisted but some how nothing else is wrong not even a scratch any where just a messed up stem. so thats why im looking at the R shocks becasue i can get them for about 220 and then get an atfermarket stem to replace my busted one. these will only be on the quad till christmas NO LATER than Januray for sure.

i jsut need something for now cause my stock fronts are killing my shoulders if i dont land ABSOLUTELY PERFECT off my ramp i mean come on everyone gets slightly nose high every 5 or so jumps.

so are they gonna work or not work for me?

well if u land nose high its better on the front shocks and right b4 u land if u have it reving it wont botom out as much. and if u put your back shock on a softer setting u will have a lot better botoming out resistince on the fronts cuz it will take some stress of em. my shock springs r cut on my stock front shocks and im jumping20 ft high and only botom out wonce in a while.

so tillu get new shocks u should jest put your back shock on full soft.

Rootar
10-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
well i just called houser and they had some stems on clearance and i gota +0 powered coated stem so it looks as if ive got enough for my elka recs after all

ive got enough for elka recs instead of the 450r shocks but i was thinking if i did buy 450r shocks and i had them redone by Derisi (i heard he dose them) for me and the 400 would they still casue problems??

400exMO
10-07-2005, 07:05 AM
I have the 450r shocks on mine and it's night and day difference. Great improvement, I also have +2 aarms. I would get the R shocks and then get derisi to redo them over elka recs. Because then they'd be fully adjustable and recs aren't. But elka recs would be way better than stock r shocks. But find some used elkas if you're goign that way.

Rootar
10-07-2005, 04:46 PM
i called derisi today and he said he can revalve the 450r shocks for the 400ex with my weight and all that for $180 and with used 450r shocks going for aobut 200 this looks to be the setup im going with but as for the travel being to long im going to ask derisi IF there is some kind of spacer or limiter he can put in side the bottom of the shock body so they wont over extend and put stress on my ball joints as JEFF has stressed