PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Bottom End Problem!

mitchhoyle
10-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey Guys, my buddy wrote in earlier but didn't get that good of a response so i'm gunna throw this topic out tehre again!

i'm wantin to fix this problem i ahve with my 99' 400ex before i sell it here so here's whats happening:
when i switch into 3rd gear it's almost like it goes into neutral and there is no power in 3rd, every other gear is fine. I recently broke open then engine to check it out and there were no metal filings in my oil! so i looked at everything and nothing looked beat up so i replaced 2nd and 3rd gear along with all 3 shift forks and all the thrust washers that go inbetween each gear, i put it back together and it's still hapening. Has anyone heard of anything like this happening? Or do any of you guys know what else i should check out?
also when i reassembled my engine, i started it up adn took off, first gear, second gear adn then the slipping in 3rd gear, then 4th is fine along with 5th, when i got to the 4th gear though i heard a big screaming squeal coming from the engine area like a rocket. it turns out that it was my starter blowing to peices because it wouldnt start again, the starters insides were all broken up....but now i'm thinking that i doubt its just wore out, i'm thinking i put something back together improperly that caused the starter to blow apart...anyone know what i could have done wrong???? thanks a ton guys!?!

RiderTRX400ex
10-04-2005, 05:57 PM
is your clutch slipping?

UglyMotha™
10-04-2005, 06:46 PM
if you replaced all that stuff then it sounds like your shift drum is effed up

Quad Dude
10-05-2005, 12:16 PM
my dads 400ex is having the same problem we have replace the shift drum and a shift fork and that didnt do anything still slips in 3rd. he just bought a new bottem end so i guess he dont plan on figuring out what was wrong with it. its not the clutch because its brand new.

mitchhoyle
10-09-2005, 07:24 PM
my clutch isn't slipping, its just teh fact that 3rd gear is basically like neutral, tehrefore teh clutch isnt ****ed cuz it aint in all gears, my shift drum looks perfect, **** i dont know wat to do, ill keep screwin with it but i was wonderin if i might have put sumthing back together wrong for teh starter to go? any suggestins?