PDA

View Full Version : major problem...oil leaking!

screaminta
10-04-2005, 11:05 AM
ok this is not my quad but im trying to help a friend out. he has a z400...i think an 03. A long time ago he cracked the case in front of the sprocket because the chain was too loose, and it came off and bound up between the sprocket and case and a tiny little crack formed. it leaked a bunch of oil but we fixed that with some quick steel. this past weekend we were at the track and his rear chain adjusting bolt broke and the chain came loose again and bound up between the sprocket again..this time it broke the quick steel off and the crack that was previously there didnt seem to get any bigger, but now oil is pouring out from where the rod for the clutch is coming out of the motor case... is this seal easy to replace, or do you have to take to whole motor apart? i want to try and help him cause he is not very mecahnical and i am, but i dont want to go tearing into a decently new motor. thanks

zdog400
10-17-2005, 01:05 PM
u have to split the cases,, and a word of advice i dont know if ur a mechanis but a person who knows alot about engines should only do that job. and be sure so buy a fullgasket set not just top end

nator187
10-18-2005, 07:07 AM
You cracked the cases man. This isn't going to be an easy or cheap fix.

Nator187

z400riderz400
10-18-2005, 05:31 PM
spleting the case isn't hard, that side on the case it easier to replace too. I have split my case in my old z 3 times, im on 14 and i managed it no problem. that side is easier becuase the transmission doesnt sit in on that side when you split the case apart. BTW, in between the case, it is not a gasket, its some liquid stuff, ask your dealer to get soom if you do it.

Have fun

DVXchic
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Did your friend fix the oil leak from the clutch arm, My DVX developed the same problem about a month ago,and it leaks alot of oil. Did he have to split the cases or just remove the clutch cover?
Please help.