PDA

View Full Version : Best quad

smokinwrench
10-03-2005, 09:53 PM
My boy rides an LT80 right now, the cltuch just fried in it this weekend at a race. Its an old quad so I'm thinking about upgrading it.

I want your opinions on the best stock quad. We ride sand most of the time. The machine will stay stock or near stock. At the most he would race a few times per year.

I'm wondering about the TRX90 because they seem to have better suspension then the other youth quads. My boy likes to jump but the LT80 is just so stiff. I just wonder if the trx will climb sand hills as well as the LT80.

Thanks for any input.

212racing
10-03-2005, 11:39 PM
yes the trx90 will do what you ask, but it and all the minis suspension suck and need shock upgrades.

smokinwrench
10-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Any other opinions on a youth quad?

I done some looking this weekend. I didn't realize the eton has hand brakes only, so it is out of the question.

Pappy
10-09-2005, 03:36 PM
for a 2 stroke, look heavily at the Kasea. it offers a foot brake and they can be built to scream.

the trx90 is what we run but mainly for the durability.

QuadJunkies
10-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Pappy is correct^^^ also,The TRX I have seen run in the sand and it does well, Might I also suggest a Mongoose , we have freinds who have a couple of them and if your not racing/modding they are a GREAT quad. All are great choices . Although it doesnt have a foot brake, I only know of Kasea having them right off hand

212racing
10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
and the trx

if your into racing/modding the kymco mongoose can be made into
a top national running quad. jesse skvareck ran one this year
in the atva mx series and was always a top finisher.
4 stroke cvt, who woulda thought? finished 6th for the
year.

LT80
10-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey,,212...on the left, 2nd button up, it makes letters in capitol when used!!

A stock TRX at the dunes? I'm not sure about how great that would be. Sand is tough stuff and the 2 strokes are usually best in that area. I do give the Honda all the credit in the world, but at the dunes?!>..
How many hondas are at the dunes and how do they fare? (a serious question)
The next consideration is how much it costs to modify the TRX cuz stock, it isn't going to do very well at the races.The pipe alone will cost almost 1/2 as much as a race motor for the LT.

Spending the new machine money on updating your LT's suspension may be a good idea.
Now, wasn't the clutch failure do to lack of maintenence?

BTW...I was just busting my buddy 212's arse a lil. It indeed was a joke. :D :D LOL

QuadJunkies
10-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by LT80
Hey,,212...on the left, 2nd button up, it makes letters in capitol when used!!

A stock TRX at the dunes? I'm not sure about how great that would be. Sand is tough stuff and the 2 strokes are usually best in that area. I do give the Honda all the credit in the world, but at the dunes?!>..
How many hondas are at the dunes and how do they fare? (a serious question)
The next consideration is how much it costs to modify the TRX cuz stock, it isn't going to do very well at the races.The pipe alone will cost almost 1/2 as much as a race motor for the LT.

Spending the new machine money on updating your LT's suspension may be a good idea.

BTW...I was just busting my buddy 212's arse a lil. It indeed was a joke. :D :D LOL
IVe seen them at Saint Anthonys a few few times and they do quite well!! I personally dont like taking our mini s to the dunes, too skerd of the sand working them over .only sand my kids run is the local dunes ,which are small or at a WORCS race , but I the Honda done well on sand, just dont expect to go climbin big bowls or anything!! lol :p

smokinwrench
10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by LT80

How many hondas are at the dunes and how do they fare?

I have only seen one trx90 in the last few years of dune ridng, my thought is that with pull start only and the price tag not many people would be intersted in them.When the kids goto the dunes they are small dunes and its the trails in the dunes following me. I wouldn't put my kids out in little sahara on the big dunes (yet)

The LT80 is an 87 model and I have put a bunch of $ money into it. Just always seems liek there is somethign worng with it. We also have a 1996 that my duaghter rides and it just runs good but I went through and replaced and checked everythign before she got it.

CLutch failure was probably due to 20/10/8 7 paddle skat trak gliders. Say what you want but when its runnign he outruns every kid on a 80 or 90cc quad he runs against. All stock or near stock machines.

He likes jumping so well it just seem slike the trx is the easiest to get better suspension.

212racing
10-11-2005, 12:05 AM
if you keep the lt80 send it to jack(lt80). it will scream. if you plan on sand only. stay with the lt80. i have personally ridden a lt80 motor by jack. its crazy fast. congrats jack on your daughters wedding and racing season. youv'e got it pretty good.
by the way if you want to mx race.

TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
TRX
i'm not yelling, just takin' jacks advice
there are still a lot of cheap and inexpensive mods for the honda
TRX90. i'd have to pm ya because i wouldn't want jack to know.
he knows too much already.

i'm with quadjunkies no sand:cuss:
i can't keep the thing clean now,
but it looks like a lot of fun:D

MOD 50cc DAD
10-11-2005, 06:07 AM

I'm with you buddy, Ride Red!!!:)

Our Honda is scary fast:cool:

LT80
10-11-2005, 06:39 AM
You guys have this sand thing wrong. It's great!
After a ride you simply take a deep breath and blow the dust off. Ready to ride again.:eek2: :D LOL

212racing
10-11-2005, 09:22 AM
can't help myself

jack, that must make you one big wind bag

dj250r
10-11-2005, 12:07 PM
so what would be the cost comparison too set up a trx 90 and a kasea or dinili, eton type bike ?
just wonderin :devil: :D
Dwayne

QuadJunkies
10-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by dj250r
so what would be the cost comparison too set up a trx 90 and a kasea or dinili, eton type bike ?
just wonderin :devil: :D
Dwayne

that would depend on how much your willing to spend and how much you want to do :D

dj250r
10-11-2005, 12:49 PM
well iv got about 5000.00 in the Kasea
give or take
i know what it takes to make a kasea motor run up front
i can do it for about 700.00 to 1000.00
but the trx the 125cc kit is more than that
ok put it this way how much would it take to make the trx mx ready with a 125 kit?

Evana13
10-11-2005, 01:24 PM
from robbs racing 10000 plus the bike just like his sons trx. I asked him.

dj250r
10-11-2005, 01:50 PM
yea i know lol
thats alot
its a nice bike too id love to have my son switch from his Kasea to the trx
it just seems that it takes more money to set up a trx 90 for mx
Dwayne

MOD 50cc DAD
10-11-2005, 03:35 PM
You don't need to spend that much to make a TRX125 run up front. You spend 10k and you get a quad that has the same features as the pro bikes...

take a good look at the Robb's Racing Honda it has

49" front end w/ double front A-arms & 10" travel
48.5" rear end w/ extended swing arm titanium axle & 10" travel
front and rear hydraulic disc brakes
a motor that'll blow you away
etc., etc.

You can't compare it to some of the Kasea setups. When you look at the competition at the national level every little bit of technology helps give you the edge. Unfortunately, when you want to go that extra mile it cost a little more. Thats racing.

For 5k you can create one mean TRX125 trust me. I know guys that have 10k into their Kasea's.

Ya, I'm a little biased. I have one of them;)

Evana13
10-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Man I wish I could have one of robbs trx's :grr:

dj250r
10-11-2005, 04:13 PM
5 000 is total price i payed
2000 for the bike and the rest over 2 1/2 years or so
Robbs bike is just sick and theres going to be a Robbs TRX comming out to So Cal next year.
guess im going to see what to liquidate in the garage and get the ball rolling

Evana13
10-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Lucky. I hope your kid enjoys it

smokinwrench
10-11-2005, 07:24 PM
What's an estimated cost to just install a 125cc kit?

dj250r
10-11-2005, 07:42 PM
smokin
i found this on Hetricks site :
Hetrick Racing TRX90 "124cc" Engine Kit
Hetrick Racing Reverse Megaphone Exhaust System
Aftermarket Cylinder - 124cc
High Compression Piston Kit
Stroker Crank modification w/ new rod kit
Main Bearings
High Lift Cam Shaft
Hetrick Racing Port and Polishing
Carburetor Kit
Hetrick Racing Clutch Mods w/ Springs
Valve Cap Vents (Powroll)

All new parts either Genuine Honda or Hetrick Racing unless otherwise specified.

This kit speaks for itself with everything you will need
to get your TRX90 running up to our standards!
124 kit requires that we have your motor to ensure
this system works to our standards!
Used by Team Hetrick.

Installed Price - $2250.

212racing
10-11-2005, 08:17 PM
icracing
home of the 90cc jr. atva national mx champion
also placed both jr. riders in top ten
icracing.com

this years new products

aftermarket heads(more details coming later)currently testing
disc brakes front(400ex) rear(300ex)
titanium axle,billet carrier,alum. hubs
direct bolt-on steering stabilizers
improved extended swing-arm

previous products:

first with bolt on dual a-arms
works or elkas
national champion 125cc motor kit
big gun
carbs
etc.......

MOD 50cc DAD
10-12-2005, 04:45 AM
smokinwrench,

There are several ways to build the 125cc engine. Definitely give Robb a call if your shopping around.

Jim

smokinwrench
10-12-2005, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Right now I'm just checking out everyting on this trx.

We live in a very rural area so we don't have many dealers. Right now I'm leaning very heavily towards the trx. Only thing that worries me is I have never seen one run at our normal riding areas and just don't want to have to spend a ton on aftermarket to make it keep up with al the other LT80's, and Predator 90's.

If it has decent power I think I can do the suspension mods cheaper and make it faster that way.

Pappy
10-12-2005, 05:56 AM
90cc's, no big bore. it gets the job done;)

Pappy
10-12-2005, 05:59 AM
and she will fly if you kid has the guts to hammer it

dj250r
10-12-2005, 08:41 AM
well if you picked up a kasea/lrx
and wanted to dune play ride
you could make a ripper
get wheel spacers or offset wheels to make it wider
(im talkin sand not mx)
motor i would get a 54mm cylinder do some lite porting
24mm carb and an intake
pipe (alot of the pipes seem to be the same)
lighten the clutches up lighter clutch springs 5.4 roller weights( just a start )
and of corse paddles
so for under 700.00 on a motor(not wheels n tires)you could make a Kasea rip in the dunes
the problem with the TRX it seems its going to be alot of cha ching!! to make the motor perform
Dwayne

dj250r
10-12-2005, 08:43 AM
maby some one could throw some #s up here to see the diffrence between the 2
Dwayne

Pappy
10-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by dj250r
maby some one could throw some #s up here to see the diffrence between the 2
Dwayne

a fully built 125 trx should make around 11 hp(not withstanding a really built 125cc like what robbs racing offers, they are getting serious power but the cost is more then the average play rider wants to spend)

a fully built 90cc 2 stroke will be around that or even somewhat higher but at a lower cost.

if we raced all mx or played in the dunes we would be on a 2 stroke!

LT80
10-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Smokin,, as you seen, the 4 stroke will take more money to get up to speed. It's a undisputable fact. :(
For comparison:: Moore Racing LT80 motor kit=$600 (usually around 700 w/shipping)...that gives you everything on a motor you will need.It runs great on a stock pipe.Runs better with a Trinity pipe=+225.. this will give your kid a kick *** dune/race machine.
The dinli/kasea/eton/etc.:: You buy a swingarm, reed cage,carb,pipe (stock is useless)and some clutch goodies. Hetrick has kits from 800-1800+.
If I had new machines in front of me:: IMO..To turn each into a race machine the progression from least expensive to most would be
LT80
Kasea/etc.
TRX90

212racing
10-12-2005, 06:41 PM
toughest,durability,ease to work on

which quad(trx) has least posts about breaking either before or after upgrade. which one needs less rebuilds. which one(trx)
saves you money on broken parts,rebuilds, and down time.

ROBBSRACING
10-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Theres no doubt that the initial price to build the 2 smoker is WAY CHEEPER ! but like 212 says you cant forget about ALL the time and money spent to maintain them. I know first hand. We raced a Kasea 90 last year. Was it fast ABSOLUTELY ! Did i have to work on it several hours every week to keep it performing ABSOLUTELY. Did i spend money on it EVERY week to keep it running perfect ABSOLUTELY. On our Honda the only things i have done to it ALL season is change the oil and adjust the valves once. Thats IT ! If i remeber correctly a Team Hetrick Kasea will set you back around 9K or more with the dual A-arm set up. So add up all the time and money spent to maintain it for a season and ill bet your at or over the cost of the Honda. Racing is just EXPENSIVE any way you look at it. 10k is ALOT, but if you want a National caliber quad thats what they cost Honda or a UTM. With a Honda you pay it all at once and have the reliability. With the UTMs youll pay as much if not more over the season and imo sacrifice some reliability.

Pappy
10-12-2005, 08:33 PM
thats why i enjoy our hondas. clean them, oil them and ride them:p

dj250r
10-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by 212racing
toughest,durability,ease to work on

which quad(trx) has least posts about breaking either before or after upgrade. which one needs less rebuilds. which one(trx)
saves you money on broken parts,rebuilds, and down time.
true that !
i do know how to fix any problem with the kasea now lol
its just hard to beat the easy fix at the track with having to have a back up motor
like break a trans
we can have it goin in 10 min change out a top end in a little over 15 min
iv been dealing with 2 strokes all my life and have never had a 4 stroke apart on the garage floor:eek2:
and in order to save $$i would have to do the work myself
i would love to have this trx built into a mx racer its just the thousands of $$ that i would have to spend to make it run with the other bikes
Dwayne

dj250r
10-12-2005, 09:25 PM
and Robb is right on the money
pay for it now or pay for it through out the season
any one want a stock kasea?
i was thinking of building a back up bike but i might as well sell it and build the trx through next year
once i get it done ill keep the kasea that he races for back up
Dwayne

smokinwrench
10-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Well I think you guys have convinced me. I'm thinking christmas will bring a new trx90. I have a daughter that it will get passed down to. SO it will be in use for several years at our house. Few years ago we had all 2 strokes at our house, all we have now are the LT80's. I just got sick and tired of working and not riding, so I have switched to 4 strokes the last couple years.

QuadJunkies
10-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by smokinwrench
Well I think you guys have convinced me. I'm thinking christmas will bring a new trx90. I have a daughter that it will get passed down to. SO it will be in use for several years at our house. Few years ago we had all 2 strokes at our house, all we have now are the LT80's. I just got sick and tired of working and not riding, so I have switched to 4 strokes the last couple years. I think for what your wanting it for, you will be very happy with it ;)