PDA

View Full Version : Thickness of brakes and squeaking?

heavy_d
06-13-2002, 06:49 PM
How thin should the brake pads get before they need changing? How thick are new pads? There is a squeaking that might be coming from the brakes, but the rotors are smooth. I did oil all the joints and did take the rear axle hubs off and put an anti-seize lubricant on the axle ends and tightened the hubs. It did lessen the sqeaking but there it is still coming from a different spot, i think the brakes. Does anybody have a suggestion? It is a 87 250x.

06-15-2002, 10:26 PM
you should change your pads when there is no pad left, just metal
i think its time to get new pads. your pads are probly down to metal and the sqeeking you here is metal rubbing againt metal (pads rubbing against rotor) I would recondmend stock pads cause they last long but EBC are good too. if you need help putting your rear pads on just go to the thread i started. its called "how to install rear pads"

Matrix

heavy_d
06-17-2002, 06:20 PM
The pads are about 1/8 of an inch thick. Isn't their some kind of indicator on them to tell you that their wore like a car brake pad has?

06-20-2002, 08:50 AM
your rotor might be slightly warped,,it doesn't take much for it to warp and cause squeking,,mine squeeks all the time..:blah

Razorback
06-20-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by heavy_d
The pads are about 1/8 of an inch thick. Isn't their some kind of indicator on them to tell you that their wore like a car brake pad has?

there is an indicator on the caliper. it is a little metal arrow that points to a little square section on the caliper. it should give you an idea. kinda confusing to read at first, but it will make sense once you see it. you should be able to look at it from the front of the quad.

heavy_d
06-20-2002, 02:49 PM
thanks for the info

yamaha1470
06-21-2002, 08:16 PM
how do u read the indicator?

lil400exman
06-28-2002, 08:10 AM
yeh i look at it how does it work?