PDA

View Full Version : 250x valve train noise

grumpy
10-03-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a 87 250x,it has a noise in the valve train its very loud.It runs fine no skips,hesitation, nothing.I have talked to a few people and they have said this is a common problem with these but they dont remember what it was.Anyone got any ideas?I heard so far:cam chain/guide,rocker arms.I dont want to pull it apart yet would rather wait untill winter.

300exOH
10-03-2005, 01:58 PM
You may just need to adjust the valves. It could be your cam chain/tensioner is worn or even the cam itself.(common on 300ex/250x's) I would try adjusting the valves first and go from there.

grumpy
10-03-2005, 03:47 PM
yeah I did adjust the valves but it still makes noise!I am starting to think it might be cam chain,it runs great,thats what I dont understand seems like it wouldnt right ,a skip ,a miss something?

skyhighatv
10-03-2005, 03:55 PM
pull it apart and check,before it turns into a big bproblem

ghak99
10-12-2005, 09:22 PM
The above is a good idea.

If the lash is correct the chain could be stretched, the tensioner could be bad, or I have even seen the bolt start to come out of the cam gear. The will click every rotation on the edge of the head cover. If the sound is loud enough to make you worry you had better, if you are able, get it torn down or taken to get check out.