PDA

View Full Version : new production race ready 90 review?

Chief
10-03-2005, 12:52 AM
It looks good, and with a sticker price of $4000, i'd sure like to know how this quad performs. They say it has a high compression motor, can anyone tell what kind of motor that is?
http://www.eastsidems.com/custompage2.asp?pg=service&sid=04728205X10K3K2005J2I06I45JAMQ883R0.asp
Seems like it takes $8,000-$9,000 to hang with the competition so I hope this is for real.

Scramblur 50
10-03-2005, 04:13 AM
it's your basic CVT yamaha based scooter motor with a liquid cool kit on it.

Bryce

Pappy
10-03-2005, 06:33 AM
i think i will start building custom mini's. :D

Pappy
10-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by joshridina400ex
i used to work at eastside motorsports. the owner is a joke he is just looking to rip people off ask quadjunkies.. i would bet this bike is a junker...

i thought i remember something posted to that extent. its a shame anyone related to mini quads and kids would not be 100% above board!

QuadJunkies
10-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i thought i remember something posted to that extent. its a shame anyone related to mini quads and kids would not be 100% above board!

AtvMxRider
10-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by joshridina400ex
i used to work at eastside motorsports. the owner is a joke he is just looking to rip people off ask quadjunkies.. i would bet this bike is a junker...

Yes I have heard that from alot of people and different forums.

mcatvme
10-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Thats the same mini quad that Xtreme is starting to sell for around $2600 in its stock form. We have both the 70 and the 90 in our shop now. I can give you all a review on them in about a couple of weeks. They come with after market shocks and rims and tires and reverse for the $2600. One thing i can tell you is my son Austin has been riding them and he says they are heavy in stock form but can easy lose a few pounds. :cool:

LT80
10-04-2005, 07:11 AM
I went to Eastside while out in Phoenix last week.
The quad mentioned was not there thus no pics or anything from me. The machine was returning Monday morning, but that's when I flew back home. :( They have been working on the machine they do have to increase performance I'm told.
They have a container comming this month of these quads.
The guy there (John) was real nice to me. He's not the owner.
It was cool tho to walk in a shop 2000 miles from home and have a guy know me from my motor building reputation.:)

Rocketman80
10-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Scramblur 50
it's your basic CVT yamaha based scooter motor with a liquid cool kit on it.

Bryce

Liquid cooled won't be a production bike. It will have to run with the 90 mods no matter what clutch it has.
Dave J.

LT80
10-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Why ya say that Rocketman?
Nothing in the book about water cooling unless it was put in very recently.I don't think the ama congress had decided on this years rule changes yet.
You can even add water cooling to a LT80/Kasea/eton/etc as long as it's all bolt on.

dj250r
10-26-2005, 08:40 AM
i think Jacks right
stock cases stock frame and 90cc
the basic rules for 90 prod
Dwayne

Rocketman80
10-26-2005, 11:44 AM
I did a little research and asked around, I have to say you're exactly right. But here's the thing. If it's a 90cc with liquid cooled and you're planning on putting a radiator on it you have to have tabs that are welded on the frame as part of the production of the machine. In other words if I wanted to put liquid cooled on our bike I would have to weld tabs on the frame to hold the radiator and that is not legal. But if it's manufacturer that way then it's all good. I was mistaken. I've just never seen it at any of the races we've been at and I'm sure if we had, people would be complaining.

I certainly think it could become and issue if liquid cooled bikes start out running the air cooled bikes. I mean what's stopping anyone from producing a 125cc four stoke honda with liquid cooled on it and running it in the 90cc production class. And as we all know honda's have a shifter clutch also that they allow in the 90 production class.

It just has been my understanding that if it was liquid cooled and a shifter bike it has to run with the mods. It won't matter to us what anyone does I have a lot of confidence in my kid as a rider. So we say bring it on... LOL There's a reason they call him the Rocketman...LOL

I just wonder at what point the AMA/ATVA will say okay enough is enough and this is just obviously a bike that has been mass produced to overtake this class. Because if you take a stock 125cc four stroke honda with a shifter and put it up against any of the other stock 90's Eton, Polaris, Kasea, Extreme, and LT80's, they don't stand a chance. They are clearly much faster as a completely stock machine.

AtvMxRider
10-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Rocketman80
Liquid cooled won't be a production bike. It will have to run with the 90 mods no matter what clutch it has.
Dave J.

Wrong!!! As long as you use the original cases and don not exceed 90cc it is legal.

AtvMxRider
10-26-2005, 01:02 PM
I did a little research and asked around, I have to say you're exactly right. But here's the thing. If it's a 90cc with liquid cooled and you're planning on putting a radiator on it you have to have tabs that are welded on the frame as part of the production of the machine. In other words if I wanted to put liquid cooled on our bike I would have to weld tabs on the frame to hold the radiator and that is not legal. But if it's manufacturer that way then it's all good. I was mistaken. I've just never seen it at any of the races we've been at and I'm sure if we had, people would be complaining.

What is the difference of welding tabs on and welding the spuds on for the nerf bars?

Rocketman80
10-26-2005, 03:07 PM
The difference is if you read the AMA rule book, they require you to have nerf bars they don't require you to have a liquid cooled machine. And welding anything to the frame is not race legal. I wanted to have foot disc brakes put on our preddy and Rich Hetrick wouldn't do it because he would've had to weld a tab on the frame to mount it making it illegal. If you had read my response you would've seen where I said I was wrong. All I know is I've never seen a liquid cooled machine racing in the 90cc production class. And the first time one goes out there and spanks everyone, I'm sure there will be people complaining about the definition of that class and what's legal and what's not.

joshridina400ex
10-26-2005, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rocketman80
All I know is I've never seen a liquid cooled machine racing in the 90cc production class. And the first time one goes out there and spanks everyone, I'm sure there will be people complaining about the definition of that class and what's legal and what's not.

the liquid cooled kit is available for almost every mini so if they get spanked ythen they can go buy the kit. has anyone used a liquid cooled kit before?

Evana13
10-27-2005, 04:06 AM

I certainly think it could become and issue if liquid cooled bikes start out running the air cooled bikes. I mean what's stopping anyone from producing a 125cc four stoke honda with liquid cooled on it and running it in the 90cc production class. And as we all know honda's have a shifter clutch also that they allow in the 90 production class.

It just has been my understanding that if it was liquid cooled and a shifter bike it has to run with the mods. It won't matter to us what anyone does I have a lot of confidence in my kid as a rider. So we say bring it on... LOL There's a reason they call him the Rocketman...LOL

I just wonder at what point the AMA/ATVA will say okay enough is enough and this is just obviously a bike that has been mass produced to overtake this class. Because if you take a stock 125cc four stroke honda with a shifter and put it up against any of the other stock 90's Eton, Polaris, Kasea, Extreme, and LT80's, they don't stand a chance. They are clearly much faster as a completely stock machine.
I think robbs racing has allready made the liquid cooled 125 if you look at the pics on his website a little better you will see the radiator.

LT80
10-27-2005, 06:28 AM
Rocketman: When we went from limited rules to production rules, I voiced the same concerns as you. I didn't think it was cool at all.
What I've learned since is that the water cooled kit did run well, but didn't create a unfair advantage (and it is possible to mount a radiator w/o welding).
I didn't like the 125 rule for the honda's either yet a 2 stroke took the championship ahead of the Hondas.
If we could go back to Super-Stock rules (yet allow a pipe), the working mans kid would have a chance.:)

Rocketman80
10-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Well it should be interesting to see how they run. I don't think there is a unfair advantage or anything. I mean we see motorcycles running 250 four strokes with 125's two strokes and 450's with the 250 class. I think the biggest deal is to allow the machines to run equally and let the drivers decide who wins. But if a machine just goes out and out runs everyone because it's clearly a faster machine, it doesn't do that specific class any good or the racers. Having a faster machine doesn't make that racer a better racer, it's my opinion that it does the opposite because the racer doesn't have to work his skills, they just have to drive fast where they can. And the racers going against a faster machine actually become better racers because they have to drive faster in the corners and jumps to try an keep up with the machine that out runs them on the straight stretches. We race year around with snowmobiles also and we see the same thing happening in that sport, where one kids sled will run faster than all the rest and we've seen some pretty horiffic accidents with the kids trying to keep up. I totally agree with you LT80 about having a pure stock or super stock class. Where nothing can be changed from the stock machine. There is absolutely nothing stock about a production machine. But it won't matter even if you had a class like that people and manufacturers would find a way to make the stock machines totally out run the competition. It's the beast of racing, pushing the limits of the rule book. You can see it in every kind of racing. It's all part of the game. One guy does this then someone comes back the next week with something else to beat'em and it's all in how one interprets the rules. I don't want anyone taking anything I say here out of context. I'm in agreement with everyone here and it's sometimes hard to express what your saying in these forums without people taking it the wrong way. So please don't read anything into what I say here. I'm just yacking with everyone.

hetrick425ex
10-31-2005, 09:17 AM
..... :) .....

Arctic Cat Dad
11-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Rocketman, I agree with about everything you said. We are looking for a 90cc quad and looked at this liquid cooled quad. But the weight of 274 I think is crazy. I don't like the looks of a quad of that weight on a youth of only 70 lbs. Plus all that weight is a killer on HP! But I think the stock class is the way to go in the GNCC'S. The rider will win the races, plus it's easier on the pocket.:) But I don't know if it will have enough speed to keep Jr. happy. I like the new trx 90 for a quad plus it gets them to shifting.

The liquid cooled engine will be legal in the production class in the GNCC's I do believe.

I do like this quad. I t just might do for the stock class, If It's fast enough.

mxkids
11-06-2005, 02:26 PM
dont forget about the cobra 90 it is production legal and now has the choice of an auto or manual clutch ..... it rips

AtvMxRider
11-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by mxkids
dont forget about the cobra 90 it is production legal and now has the choice of an auto or manual clutch ..... it rips

The cobra is a 70 not a 90

seeya
11-07-2005, 06:10 AM
From what I've been reading there is a bigbore kit available for the cobra 70

Arctic Cat Dad
11-07-2005, 07:16 AM
He's right! They have a 90cc kit for it along with the auto clutch kit.:D

mini
11-13-2005, 09:34 PM
MY SONS GETTING ONE AND IM GOING TO BE SELLING THEM ,I WILL POST WHAT I THINK OF IT,YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT ON MY SITE AND EMAIL ME FOR ANY DETAILS NWMINIQUADS.COM

hetrick425ex
11-14-2005, 08:50 AM
haha ?...
congrats?
no need to yell though

oldfartracer
11-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Cobra has a 80cc kit for the ECX 70 coming very soon, they are also testing a Rev-lock type clutch that make the machine legal for
90 Production. I ask Doug Morris and he told me that the ECX 70
with the 80cc kit and the Auto Clutch would be legal for the 90 Production class!

mini
11-23-2005, 07:57 PM
my son finally got his in ,not bad,rides great even with me on it ,it rides like a full size quad, my neighbor got a 70cc my sons 90cc they sound like f1 race cars , theres things i want to change but over all i give it a 7 out of 10 for 3995 you cant build anything close to this,we will see how it does at the track.:macho

markvette
11-28-2005, 08:32 PM
as far as the liquid cooled motors and the radiator. a way around it as we did on riley holts production 70 he ran at one national this past year. have the radiator mounts heli arked on the front bumper. nothing welded to the frame and as far as that goes you can bolt on brackets to the frame. also the extreme water cooled dual a-arm quad can loose a lot of weight. pics will be available real soon of a fully race prepped xtreme with all the best goodies. it is being built and should be done real soon.

Mark

400ex4ever
11-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by mini
my son finally got his in ,not bad,rides great even with me on it ,it rides like a full size quad, my neighbor got a 70cc my sons 90cc they sound like f1 race cars , theres things i want to change but over all i give it a 7 out of 10 for 3995 you cant build anything close to this,we will see how it does at the track.:macho

We will see you at Oakwood this weekend.

I saw one of the AASCO 100cc at the Oregon Dunes over Thanksgiving weekend. They guy said it run pretty good but it still needed to be jetted right. We exchanged some jetting info since my son's Predator runs a 24mm carb. I didnt get a chance to see it run. It looked pretty good but a little heavy.

mini
11-29-2005, 05:52 PM
yea we 'll bring it to oakwood to pratice not race he'll race hes blast and the new quad its not the jetting its the pipe,wrong combo,eastsides sending a diff pipe,runs ok but we got to go fast:D we're going to change alot of stuff on here but overall not a bad quad ,jumps good,looks good we'll see,if not we'll sell it and build a blast,hey its only money right! kids are lucky now days ,what a time to be a kid .:macho