PDA

View Full Version : swing arm bolt

Unverfehrt400ex
10-02-2005, 06:27 PM
im working on replacing the swing arm bearings and have been trying for 2 days to get the swing arm bolt out. its an old ex and ive done lots of mudd riding so its probably siezed up pretty good. We've tried just about everything, beating on it impacting it and heating it. the bolt wont budge or turn one bit. i showed it to a friend who works at our lolcal honda dealership and we tried cutting the bolt out with a sawazaw but cant seem to cut through the bolt. Any opinions on what i could do to get it out?

Pappy
10-02-2005, 06:30 PM
keep cutting:(

ive had them so bad that nothing short of cutting the stock swing arm itself in pieces worked:p

ommkevin
10-02-2005, 06:52 PM
do what he said

yfzfelix
10-02-2005, 09:48 PM
just went through the same thing had to cut the swingarm off and then cut the bolt on each side of the engine cases, the bolt was seized to the bushings in the case and according to the Honda dealer the bushings are not available, had to drill the bolt out of the bushings, WHAT A PAIN IN THE ***!!! going to tap each end of the bolt and put grease fittings in each end and drill small holes through the bolt so I can get grease to the bushings so it wont happen again,

Rico
10-03-2005, 02:37 PM
It's a 2 caser of beer project....:mad:

quad2xtreme
10-05-2005, 08:57 AM
My advice,

Torch off the swingarm. Chances are it is ruined anyhow. Save your frame and engine at all costs.

Torch everything until you are left with nothing but the swingarm bolt.

Carefully heat the engine case around the bushings being careful not to melt the engine case. Believe me, you can put quite a bit of heat to it before this happens. Then hammer on the bolt. Protect the frame with wood so when you miss the bolt with the hammer, you don't bend the frame.

A guy posted that he was able to get some other bushings that were similar and had a machine shop make him the engine bushings.

/Jon

2002Honda400ex
10-05-2005, 08:22 PM
i just did mine about a week ago. first take the motor mounts on the front off. then put a impact wrench on the nut that is part of the whole bolt. next pull back on the motor a little bit and use the impack wrench to break it free (need to switch the impact from forward to backward wile you do it). Then have a person beat on the bthreaded part of the bolt with a rubber mallot to get it out and not skrew up the threads. it worked for mine really well. you will need about three people for it.

Unverfehrt400ex
10-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey i finally got it out after a couple days of work, Had to torch the bolt in 3 places to get the swing arm to drop off then it was just as hard getting the bearing races out of the swing arm. The swing arms pretty messed up from the torcing but at least i finally got the stupid thing off