PDA

View Full Version : Crank rod play

Quad Dude
10-02-2005, 05:04 PM
ok so i was wondering if there should be and vertical play it the connecting rod ? and if there is what to do about it replace it or can you fix it? and where would i guy go if he wanted to by a 11:1 ross piston for a 400ex (stock bore) prefeably on line?

all of this is for a 00 400ex

Colby@C&DRacing
10-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Their shouldn't be any vertical play in a rod, you can replace it with a new crank assembly or you can split the crank and install a new rod and lower bearing.

Quad Dude
10-03-2005, 02:39 PM
is it hard to split a crank or can you do it with regular tools or would it be easier to buy a new crank assembly.

AtvMxRider
10-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Quad Dude
is it hard to split a crank or can you do it with regular tools or would it be easier to buy a new crank assembly.

It is much easier to just buy a new crank.

mikeboone
10-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Quad Dude

You dont have any tools that will do the job:D The 400ex cranks especailly require several tons of pressure to push the pin out. You can get a new Wiseco crank w/ Hotrod installed fairly cheap. I run the Wiseco 4mm stroker crank in my 460.

UglyMotha™
10-03-2005, 09:36 PM
nice, yah just throw it in a bench vice and grab your hammer

need a press, dial indicator, and a rig to balance her in, have at it

Quad Dude
10-03-2005, 10:33 PM
what is all involved with a stroker just the rod and piston or is there more? and is it possible to run a 4mm stroked rod on a standard bore stroker piston and if it works what cc would that make?

UglyMotha™
10-04-2005, 06:50 PM
just depends on what stroker you go with, you can go with any bore even stock bore different types of stroke require different measures some stroker cranks you can drop right in and go, some require the cases to be machined, mine which is a 7mm stroke required maching the counterbalancer for clearance and my wrist pin is offset from center so i had to have a custom piston done up