PDA

View Full Version : piston - cam

400exrules
10-02-2005, 02:36 PM
I know for sure im gettin a stage 1 hotcam within the next couple of weeks, but many people have said to get a high comp. piston while im at it....so how hard is it to install a piston? will i need to replace or change anything with a new piston? how do u break in a cam and a piston together?

and if i decide to get a cam now and not a piston, could i still put in a piston later?

thanks!

EVOLUTIONracing
10-02-2005, 04:29 PM
We put a JE 13:1 piston and Stage 2 Hotcam in a 440ex and it helped it TON's. It had so much more power in corners. Keep in mind that you will need race gas with the high comp. piston and cam. We run deoxygenated 100 octane gas in it. The oxygenated gas wasnt working well with the jetting and carb. As far as installation, it is fairly simple if you know what you are doing. Reset the timing, make sure everythings TDC when you start, make sure you put the cam in right, torque everything right at the end and your pretty much set. Hope this helped.

2004exrider
10-02-2005, 07:25 PM
i have a stage 1 in my ex rite now, it seemed to help out quite a bit with out the higher comp piston. But the higher comp piston will get you the full use out of the bigger cam. you can always still put in a different piston after you have it installed.

Jimmy

400exrules
10-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
i have a stage 1 in my ex rite now, it seemed to help out quite a bit with out the higher comp piston. But the higher comp piston will get you the full use out of the bigger cam. you can always still put in a different piston after you have it installed.

Jimmy

what else did u do when u put in the cam? did u replace any gaskets...etc.?

i plan on adjusting my valves of course when i put it in, then checking/adjusting them after about an hour of ride time

2004exrider
10-03-2005, 07:12 AM
no need to replace the gasket (its metal) unless its messed up. Alls i did was put it in and adjust valves. Hotcams says to ride it at 3000 RPM's for a half hour to ensure a proper breakin in, then i changed the oil again and its runnin great.

Jimmy

hauck400ex
10-03-2005, 09:09 AM
i just put in a stage 1 hotcam and a wiseco 11:1 piston and a cometic top end gasket kit. I did everything right and rejetted everything. broke it in, changed the oil, plug, everything, but wasnt too impressed with the power increase. i have other mods, but this just wasnt what i was expecting to get my $240 worth, but i got about $100 out of it. its nice if you dont have high hopes, but dont get too excited about it or you could be let down. i have a few more things to do yet, but to get any REAL power, you need to bore it out to a 416 or 426 and then do the mods.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by hauck400ex
i just put in a stage 1 hotcam and a wiseco 11:1 piston and a cometic top end gasket kit. I did everything right and rejetted everything. broke it in, changed the oil, plug, everything, but wasnt too impressed with the power increase. i have other mods, but this just wasnt what i was expecting to get my $240 worth, but i got about $100 out of it. its nice if you dont have high hopes, but dont get too excited about it or you could be let down. i have a few more things to do yet, but to get any REAL power, you need to bore it out to a 416 or 426 and then do the mods.

you may want to mess with your gearing if you are running 13/38 like your sig states, that could be some of the problem and why it dosen't pull hard for very long.