PDA

View Full Version : Ride Predictions?

Pappy
10-02-2005, 07:40 AM
ATVriders.com is doing a heads up comparison of both the new YFZ and 450R as I type this!

A few of the top area riders will be evaluating the new quads all day and a report will be posted this coming week.

I know this is speculation, but what are some of your predictions based on what we know about these two quads?

MOFO
10-02-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

I know this is speculation, but what are some of your predictions based on what we know about these two quads?

They are both great quads. :cool:

Jersey450R
10-02-2005, 07:54 AM
To put it very simply, the 2 quads for 06' are so evenly matched, 90% or the choice is going to be based on rider preference. Stock for stock, the YFZ has better suspension but the R is alot more reliable.

Ridin' Jesse
10-02-2005, 08:00 AM
They are both evenly matched, but as for stock vs. stock i'm going to say YFZ..Pappy how exactly are they going about this? Like are they doing woods, track, top speed, dyno?

Pappy
10-02-2005, 10:12 AM
As far as I know, it will be a group of riders switching off of each quad, doing timed XC laps and Im sure a few drag races:D There is a MX track there also if i remember correctly but I cant swear to that.

The stock HP numbers are no secret so it wasnt a big issue, but we will be doing some upgrades that will include the dyno shortly.

Maybe the R will finally catch the YFZ in stock trim, but we will see shortly:cool:

10-02-2005, 10:20 AM
of course honda is gonna take it. The honda may have some handling problems compared to the YFZ in stock trim and if this 06' is BRAND NEW they may say somethings about how its slow to start but it really needs a few hours on it.

Pappy
10-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
of course honda is gonna take it.

sure, just like its taken the honda in almost every test any magazine has done:confused:

like it or not, in stock trim the YFZ has been handing the 450r its rear end on a platter since they both started throwing roost. i like them both, and would like to see it more even, but my gut tells me the YFZ is going to have the upperhand:ermm:

twisted threads
10-02-2005, 10:33 AM
I think its going to be a great shoot out thats for sure. Personaly I don't like the feel of the YFZ but lots of people do so if thats the bike they like buy it and be happy. The new 06 honda will be alot better than the 04/05 Trx450r so the shoot out will be closer BUT like Pappy said my gut feeling is the Yami YFZ in stock form is still a little better but I do think the honda will be close.:cool:

Jonas
10-02-2005, 12:22 PM
As far as I know, it will be a group of riders switching off of each quad, doing timed XC laps and Im sure a few drag races:D There is a MX track there also if i remember correctly but I cant swear to that.

The stock HP numbers are no secret so it wasnt a big issue, but we will be doing some upgrades that will include the dyno shortly.

Maybe the R will finally catch the YFZ in stock trim, but we will see shortly:cool:

What are the stock horsepower numbers? Has anyone dyno'd them on the same dyno stock to stock? Let me know where I can see this please.

Jersey450R
10-02-2005, 01:40 PM
all this talk about stock quads, but really...who keeps their quad stock besides sole weekend recreational riders? I mean, look at it this way, the honda with arms, shocks, and an axle is the most comfortable quad imo. I've ridden many different set up YFZ's stock and raced out. The motor just wears me out. I dont even want to mention the seat. I can ride a honda all day and not feel anywhere as fatigued as where i would be on the yamaha for an hour, and feel like my lats and shoulders are going to rip out of my skin. The smoother power delevery of the 450R is very overlooked. I feel that when the two quads are the same speed, but one has such a hit (YFZ), it actually takes away from the overall ride. Some of you may say this seems stupid, but why is Natalie faster on a Honda? His lap times prove it. Dont get me wrong, i like the YFZ, i just feel the TRX has more to offer to a wider scope of riders. Plus the reliability...

Nate Dogg #76
10-02-2005, 02:25 PM
I agree with Jersey 450R. I don't care what the magazines say. The proof is at the track. I've finished ahead of alot of yfz's and alot of yfz's have finished ahead of me. What about all the guy's still riding 400ex's and Z400's.

Admin
10-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Nate Dogg #76
What about all the guy's still riding 400ex's and Z400's.

I hope your aren't picking on us Z400 riders:D because my Z400 can run with the TRX450 and YFZ450 in the woods without a problem, but just don't thrown in any wide open straight aways or I will be eating some major dust.

The ride test today went awesome, and I will post a few teaser photos shortly from the event, but everyone will probably have to wait to later in the week for the complete report.

Nate Dogg #76
10-02-2005, 02:53 PM
No, I'm not picking on Z400 or 400ex. I agree with you also. My point is that a guy on one quad can beat another any time no matter what kind of quad they are on. By the way Admin, still waiting on the Loretta's pro pictures.lol

Jonas
10-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
all this talk about stock quads, but really...who keeps their quad stock besides sole weekend recreational riders? I mean, look at it this way, the honda with arms, shocks, and an axle is the most comfortable quad imo. I've ridden many different set up YFZ's stock and raced out. The motor just wears me out. I dont even want to mention the seat. I can ride a honda all day and not feel anywhere as fatigued as where i would be on the yamaha for an hour, and feel like my lats and shoulders are going to rip out of my skin. The smoother power delevery of the 450R is very overlooked. I feel that when the two quads are the same speed, but one has such a hit (YFZ), it actually takes away from the overall ride. Some of you may say this seems stupid, but why is Natalie faster on a Honda? His lap times prove it. Dont get me wrong, i like the YFZ, i just feel the TRX has more to offer to a wider scope of riders. Plus the reliability...

Alot of people care about how a quad is stock. All people talk about is who won the magazine shootout. A majority of people that ride these quads are recreational riders and do very little to their quad as far as what really makes a difference like suspension. I agree with most of what your saying though. I'm sure that you would take into consideration of how a '06 trx450r performs as opposed to a '03 trx400ex, I do. It is alot easier to make the '06 race ready that the '03 and in stock form there is no comparison.

Admin
10-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Nate Dogg #76
No, I'm not picking on Z400 or 400ex. I agree with you also. My point is that a guy on one quad can beat another any time no matter what kind of quad they are on. By the way Admin, still waiting on the Loretta's pro pictures.lol

I will get to posting some of them, but it won't be like I had hoped because I just can't find a way to squeeze out more hours in a day.

Jersey450R
10-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
Alot of people care about how a quad is stock. All people talk about is who won the magazine shootout. A majority of people that ride these quads are recreational riders and do very little to their quad as far as what really makes a difference like suspension. I agree with most of what your saying though. I'm sure that you would take into consideration of how a '06 trx450r performs as opposed to a '03 trx400ex, I do. It is alot easier to make the '06 race ready that the '03 and in stock form there is no comparison.
Jonas, your completely right. The average consumer dosent do a whole lot to the quad and most people dont do the mods. Me, like a whole bunch of others are so caught up in the aftermarket world. Its constantly changing and what you buy today, might not be good tomorrow. This sport is progressing so fast and to me, its my life and love every aspect of ATV's in general. Thank you ex/atvriders.com.

Now, the imput on the race machines (450r and yfz) comes more from production riders, not so much the recreational rider. Suzuki is going to start coming to play next with their version of a stock race quad. This is going to boost this industry even higher than it already is. The day i see a shootout between the 450R, YFZ 450, and the Suzuki450, i may have to call out of work, lol.

I guess I'm basing my assumptions of how I veiw the sport and racing aspect of it. I'm into motocross. Now someone else may come along thats totally into GNCC type of riding and have totally different opinions. Thats whats so cool about riding and racing and the world of motorsports. The top manufactures have something to suit everyone, and back to your post Jonas, they have to start out with stock quads. :)

Robin Hood
10-02-2005, 04:54 PM

I'd like to see the R catch the YFZ, I've been waiting to see reviews such as this one so I can base which 450 Im gunna buy on. (But I still like the 450R better though.) :p

Pappy
10-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
I'd like to see the R catch the YFZ, I've been waiting to see reviews such as this one so I can base which 450 Im gunna buy on. (But I still like the 450R better though.) :p

i reckon you oughta go visit your honda dealer:chinese: :devil: or was it the yamaha dealer:devil:

Pappy
10-02-2005, 05:02 PM

boys, i think we have us a race now:cool:

Dave400ex
10-02-2005, 05:09 PM
This should be interesting to read, I think they will be much closer now.

CDALEMX301
10-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Pappy whats with the teasers just come on and tell us already... I have been waiting for awhile now to see how the 06's stack upagainst each other

Pappy
10-02-2005, 05:49 PM
just read what i posted, im sure you can invision the thought process:devil:

ahhh....the days where it will take a rider to beat a rider are back:devil:

im not revealing anymore then that, i have the scoop and poop but will keep my yap shut and let the report handle the specifics.

CDALEMX301
10-02-2005, 06:16 PM
yEA I am pretty sure i can figure out what your saying. Any idea when this report will be posted?

Pappy
10-02-2005, 06:17 PM
im sure he is working on it tonight and should have something up in a day or so.

Robin Hood
10-02-2005, 06:44 PM
im sure he is working on it tonight and should have something up in a day or so.

Grr. :mad: I can't wait that long!

CHAR250R
10-02-2005, 07:37 PM
ATVriders.com is doing a heads up comparison of both the new YFZ and 450R as I type this!

A few of the top area riders will be evaluating the new quads all day and a report will be posted this coming week.

Awesome idea. I'd like to see more comparisons in the near future. Like the ones I read in Dirtwheels.

Shawn H
10-02-2005, 07:44 PM
They are going to be extremely close in power and race conditions. Will boil down to rider.

I raced a YFZ Full HMF,cam mod and he could not pull a foot on me on my stock 06 450r.The guy can ride to he was 2004 Mn XC state champ.

The Suspension is going to be very close as well have to give a slight nod to the YFZ but just barely.

06 450R Does not start very well Stock with Estart. Slow to respond and ya best not give it any gas.!!!

Stock Honda tires push real bad in corners definetly a downside but who keeps stockers.

Honda still does not turn sharp enough.

Honda will be more comfortable for the long haul.

Hondas new motor relaibilty is questionable in atv form.

Yamaha still vibrates the bars to much.
Yamaha seat still is not comfy for the long haul.
Yamaha does not stop nearly as good.

Basically pick your poison!

Jersey450R
10-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Shawn H
06 450R Does not start very well Stock with Estart. Slow to respond and ya best not give it any gas.!!!

I wonder how the electric starting is going to be after higher compression pistons, more aggressive cams, and porting/polishing are done. :rolleyes: Its a scary thought.
The kicker dosent seem like a bad idea afterall. But then again, this is another bug that is going to have a mod for it. :o

Dave400ex
10-02-2005, 09:01 PM
The starting thing is kind of a toss up right now. Some have said it is slow, but others have said it's fine, and gets better the more time you put on it.

Shawn H
10-02-2005, 09:29 PM
It possibly could get better in time, i have only 3 hrs on mine.It starts ok just a couple strokes before it fires, I know with my 05 kicker I would be running and holeshotting much quicker than this 06.

Must remember I have not raced/road a Estart machine in along time.It may come more natural to others>

A little jetting may help some.

I dont see a need for a higher compression piston than whats in it.