PDA

View Full Version : Texas VS. New Orleans

Honda
09-30-2005, 10:35 PM
1. Texas: Productive industrious state run by Republicans.

Louisiana: Government dependent welfare state run by Democrats.

2. Texas: Residents take responsibility to protect and evacuate themselves.

Louisiana: Residents wait for government to protect and evacuate them.

3. Texas: Local and state officials take responsibility for protecting their citizens and property.

Louisiana: Local and state officials blame federal government for not protecting their citizens and property.

4. Texas: Command and control remains in place to preserve order.

Louisiana: Command and control collapses allowing lawlessness.

5. Texas: Law enforcement officers remain on duty to protect city.

Louisiana: Law enforcement officers desert their posts to protect themselves.

6. Texas: Local police watch for looting.

Louisiana: Local police participate in looting.

7. Texas: Law and order remains in control, 8 looters tried it, 8 looters arrested.

Louisiana: Anarchy and lawlessness breaks out, looters take over city, no arrests, criminals with guns have to be shot by federal troops.

8. Texas: Considerable damage caused by hurricane.

Louisiana: Considerable damage caused by looters.

9. Texas: Flood barriers hold preventing cities from flooding.

Louisiana: Flood barriers fail due to lack of maintenance allowing city to flood.

10. Texas: Orderly evacuation away from threatened areas, few remain.

Louisiana: 25,000 fail to evacuate, are relocated to another flooded area.

11. Texas: Citizens evacuate with personal 3 day supply of food and water.

Louisiana: Citizens fail to evacuate with 3 day supply of food and water, do without it for the next 4 days.

12. Texas: FEMA brings in tons of food and water for evacuees. State officials provide accessible distribution points.

Louisiana: FEMA brings in tons of food and water for evacuees. State officials prevent citizens from reaching distribution points and vice versa.

13. Louisiana: Media focuses on poor blacks in need of assistance, blames Bush.

Texas: Media can’t find poor blacks in need of assistance, looking for something else to blame on Bush.

14. Texas: Coastal cities suffer some infrastructure damage, Mayors tell residents to stay away until ready for repopulation, no interference from federal officials.

Louisiana: New Orleans is destroyed, Mayor asks residents to return home as another hurricane approaches, has to be overruled by federal officials.

15. Louisiana: Over 400 killed by storm, flooding and crime.

Texas: 24 killed in bus accident on highway during evacuation, no storm related deaths.

16. Texas: Jailed prisoners are relocated to other detention facilities outside the storm area.

Louisiana: Jailed prisoners are set free to prey on city shops, residents, and homes.

17. Texas: Local and state officials work with FEMA and Red Cross in recovery operations.

Louisiana: Local and state officials obstruct FEMA and Red Cross from aiding in recovery operations.

18. Texas: Local and state officials demonstrate leadership in managing disaster areas.

Louisiana: Local and state officials fail to demonstrate leadership, require federal government to manage disaster areas.

19. Texas: Fuel deliveries can't keep up with demand, some run out of gas on highway, need help from fuel tankers before storm arrives.

Louisiana: Motorists wait till storm hits and electrical power fails. Cars run out of gas at gas stations that can‘t pump gas. Gas in underground tanks mixes with flood waters.

20. Texas: Mayors move citizens out of danger.

Louisiana: Mayor moves himself and family to Dallas.

21. Texas: Mayors continue public service announcements and updates on television with Governor's backing and support.

Louisiana: Mayor cusses, governor cries, senator threatens president with violence on television, none of them have a clue what went wrong or who‘s responsible.

22. Louisiana: Democratic Senator says FEMA was slow in responding to 911 calls from Louisiana citizens.

Texas: Republican Senator says "when you call 911, the phone doesn't ring in Washington, it rings here at the local responders".

What if state and local elected officials were forced to depend on themselves and their own resources instead of calling for help from the federal government? Texas cities would be back up and running in a few days. Louisiana cities would still be under water next month. Republicans call for action, Democrats call for help. What party will you be voting for in the next election?

je450
09-30-2005, 11:28 PM
im guessing your from texas and have no ides what goes on here in Louisiana. i will admit there are aot of pople going crazy and F$#@ing things up in new orleans but that is only a few of them. i have alot of friends that had to evacuate from no and go to school with me know and it is very unfortunate what they went through leaving their lives behind. so you stupid F$#k why dont you shut your mouth and quit talking s#@t about my state unless you realy know what is goin on down here.

Honda
10-01-2005, 02:23 AM
so you stupid F$#k why dont you shut your mouth and quit talking s#@t about my state unless you realy know what is goin on down here.

im guessing your from texas and have no ides what goes on here in Louisiana

Sorry Dude, but I aint from Texas! Wish I was though, sounds like they got things right down there.

Also, I was going to go down and help, but when I saw the looters, and people shooting at everyone, I decided it would be better to stay home. What a Joke!

What has happened in LA. sucks, but you havent seen these problems in other Hurricane Hit areas.

I know it's not the majority, but the problems have been exposed, now what are we going to do to fix them?

One more thing! Don't spend my ****ing hard earned tax money rebuilding, unless you find a way to correct the problems that caused this to begin with!

Hammer trx450r
10-01-2005, 04:37 AM
Come on people i think Texas learned alittle something from Katrina.

sharpeye
10-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes, Texas may have had a heads up on the best and worse way to protect its citizens from the hurricane, but that isn't the only reason the non-storm related damage in Texas is so much less than in Louisiana. The people of Louisiana chose to remain, rather than evacuate. They chose to take to looting and chaos, rather than trying to find a way out.

True, the local government should have done more to protact and save as many citizens as possible, this including properly maintaining the flood barriers. But this doesn't shift the responsibility from where it truly lies. On the people who made the decision to stay, and the ones who decided to commit crimes and cause chaos in their own home state.

No matter where you are from, there is no excuse for this type of behavior. All blame for the post-Katrina damage is upon those that decided to cause it. Not the state governement, not Bush, not FEMA.

Place the blame where it truly belongs, and let people learn to take responsibility for themselves and their own actions. That's life.

Warnerade
10-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by sharpeye
The people of Louisiana chose to remain, rather than evacuate. They chose to take to looting and chaos, rather than trying to find a way out. and that, is what i call natural selection.

fasterblaster09
10-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Well if you dislike louisiana so much,stay the **** out.All I hear is peple bashing louisiana.Dont yall understand that alot of the people did evacuate,but wet home after the HURRICANE was overand everything was ok.It was the next day that the levee broke which trapped everybody and cause so many deaths! Did anything like this happen to your state lately?? Obviously not. :scary:

10-01-2005, 01:09 PM
umm.. where did you get your information? 95% of that is completly wrong.. about both sides..

stop watching the news, and try, just try to talk to somone who lived it...

For instance, they did NOT release prisoners down there.. police did NOT desert there post immediatly, after 5 days with no sleep, you would leave to do whats best for you also..

Get your facts straight, and you will see exactly what im talking about.

All those school buses down there, and the mayor wanted greyhound...

Texas is a conservative state, while la is a liberal state.. there is your answer to your "delima"

Jesse

fasterblaster09
10-01-2005, 01:17 PM
^^^^ And did you hear about the nursing home that wasnt evacuated?? 35 people,who couldnt evacuate,they all had to drown in their beds just because the owners figured they could ride the storm out.But when they were all dead,where were the owners?? They had evacuated and left all 35 of their patients to die.Now tell me it's their fault..

10-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
^^^^ And did you hear about the nursing home that wasnt evacuated?? 35 people,who couldnt evacuate,they all had to drown in their beds just because the owners figured they could ride the storm out.But when they were all dead,where were the owners?? They had evacuated and left all 35 of their patients to die.Now tell me it's their fault..

ya im not saying everything that could have been done was done, but im saying its *not* nearly as bad as people say it is.. btw they charged the owners of that place with manslaughter or somthing to that effect..

But back to the news thing.. they were saying "oh we cant go into the superdome, they are killing people raping people blahblahblah"

8 PEOPLE DIED! 6 of natural causes, the other 2 who knows.. and thats between the superdome and the other place they took them.. 8 people..

dont believe everything you hear/see in the news.

Jesse

je450
10-01-2005, 04:07 PM
and alot of people were very old and poor or just poor and couldnt evacuate. none of the stuff we are saying makes excuses for the people running around stealing tvs and what not im not trying to take up for them.

Scott-300ex
10-01-2005, 04:59 PM
thats the difference between country boys who work for their stuff and know wut to do

and

city, spoiled folks

and before the hurricane happened, before i knew what looting was i was thinkin i would be drivin crazy down there and ridin my quad threw town and taken everything from peoples houses that evacuated, then like 4 days later i heard people were doin it and im like, wow, thats wut i was ganna do

who on these boards would have looted?

i would

zeppelin
10-01-2005, 05:25 PM
man some of yall are real dick heads for posting that stuff, and HONDA the state you dicribed sounded more like california to me than, lousiana. and just because we have some dip ****s that live here doesnt mean that everyone else is retarded. christ, last time i went to houston i saw way more hobo's and anti bush bumberstickers than ive ever seen in baton rouge, yall need to quit assuming crap. i feel pretty offened when somebody tries to put me on the same level as my govenor

Warnerade
10-01-2005, 05:31 PM
dickheads or not, thats the stereo type of it all, and no matter what...the majority of the people will go along with the stereo type.

what i dont get is...your telling people not to insult your state, or put you on the same level as your governor, yet at the same time in the same post...you blatently put down california on the same level as "your governor".....you hipocrit

zeppelin
10-01-2005, 05:39 PM
the dude said hes from the "racing capitol of the world" aka california :o

10-01-2005, 05:46 PM
omg im from lousiana. And we were hit hard by rita, it was just like every other hurricane, clean it up a few days after. New orleans is just a ****ty *** city underground with homeless people.

tp300ex
10-01-2005, 06:03 PM
yea lay off of LA we got hit realt hard 2 times!

JOEX
10-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
the dude said hes from the "racing capitol of the world" aka california :o
I thought it was Indianapolis:confused:

fasterblaster09
10-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by kraz
omg im from lousiana. And we were hit hard by rita, it was just like every other hurricane, clean it up a few days after. New orleans is just a ****ty *** city underground with homeless people.

Again,another who thinks the damage was from the hurricane.I dont recall a levee breaking for rita destroying one of the biggest ity's in the country,do you:confused:

derekhonda
10-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

me too......:rolleyes:

zeppelin
10-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

i thought he meant for dirt bike and four-wheelers :confused:

DaleJrFan
10-01-2005, 10:02 PM
i have only been to new orleans twice and that was several years ago. both times there we saw quite a bit of the city while attending the suger bowl and mardi gras the other. the whole time i was thinking in my head "there is no way i would live where there is this big of a chance for the city to flood." the whole time i was there it just felt weird being below sea level. wasn't the greatest of places to visit, but wasnt the worst vacation either.

i chose to live in tornado ally so it is only a matter of time before my town is destroyed by a tornado. when it happens, i will not be crying or complaning about the federal goverment to help me cause i chose to live where i do. no one forced me, it was my decision. so living where i do, i know i must have insurance for when that tornado comes, i will be prepared. those who chose to live in a flood plain and lose everything they own, call your insurance company, not fema or anyother goverment agency for that matter, then chose to re-build somewhere not in a flood plain. if you dont have insurance, well then you made 2 bad decisions.

DaleJrFan
10-01-2005, 10:05 PM
as for the origingal post that started all this, i was born and raised in texas, it is a great state that i will always call home, but the facts that were stated could have easily been reveresed if katrina hit houston and rita hit la. just one persons view. this is a forum, dont take it so personally.

Honda
10-01-2005, 10:33 PM
but the facts that were stated could have easily been reveresed if katrina hit houston and rita hit la. just one persons view. this is a forum, dont take it so personally.

I have to dissagree, Florida gets hit all the time, yet we don't see these kinds of issues.

For the record, I found the original post on another website, I didn't write it.

I think the leaders of LA just did a horrible job, if you look at all the facts, it comes down to them, not FEMA, not George Bush.

Blame Ray Nagin, and the people that stayed, or couldn't leave because nobody helped them to do so in time.

All I can say is, I hope they learn from this and start making preperations for the next storm, because eventually there is going to be one.

zeppelin
10-01-2005, 10:49 PM
jesus, how many time do we have to tell yall, it wasnt Ray Nagin, it was that Blanco ***** she screwed alot of the stuff up, combined with the "welfare state" those people in N.O. idnt have the motivation to get out on their own, they have always had someone do everything for them so they couldnt help themselves. and this is very wrong, but please dont assume that everyone in la is so helpless

Honda
10-02-2005, 12:57 AM
but please dont assume that everyone in la is so helpless

I Know that not everyone in LA is helpless, I am sure everyone knows this, but as always the actions of a few have given the impression that is now talked about so much.

I don't blame the people as much as I blame the system and the idea that we think we can beat Mother Nature. We build in vulnerable places, people move in with an "it will never happen to me attitude" and building codes aren’t strict enough to allow these cities to survive what Mother Nature will eventually dish out.

I hope they do rebuild New Orleans, but I hope they rebuild the levees to withstand a cat 5 while they are at it, if not, then they may as well build a lake instead.

Ultimately, the system failed, it failed New Orleans, it failed the people and it failed America. The biggest failure, may not have been a failure at all, but instead a wake up call and a lesson for which we can now learn from.

Scott-300ex
10-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Everbody just needs to chill out on here

Its peoples opinion vs. peoples opinion, your not ganna change their mind