PDA

View Full Version : cam timing?

ThumPIN_450R
09-29-2005, 07:01 PM
I was wondering if advancing or retarding the cam timing will give any performance gains or powercurve changes or just headaches?

WhiteZee
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
what cam are you using?

Martin Blair
09-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Its a UNICAM reatrding it or advancing it would just f it up.

ThumPIN_450R
09-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
what cam are you using?

baldwin

ThumPIN_450R
09-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer

that's what I thought but I was curious

Martin Blair
09-29-2005, 10:14 PM
you could do it, but if you advacne the intake you advacne the exhaust to, you need seperate cams to go it right.

ThumPIN_450R
09-29-2005, 10:28 PM
I guess I should have got a yammy :huh

Martin Blair
09-29-2005, 10:39 PM
why, so you ahve to retard the exhaust timeing to make any power? just rplace the cam with a good aftermarket choice, Hotcam stage2 or 02 crf cam ar good.

ThumPIN_450R
09-29-2005, 10:56 PM
I was just joking about the yammy. I have a Baldwin MX cam and it runs great but I was just looking for something to tinker with and see what works and what doesn't. I just figured I would ask on here before I mess it up.

chad502ex
09-30-2005, 01:36 PM
they do make adjustable cam sprockets for 450r's,..

WhiteZee
09-30-2005, 04:30 PM
please stop posting about things you have no clue about.

you can get a adjustable cam sprocket to retard or advance your cam, but you will also need a degree wheel to set it correctly. i would just leave it alone, its not worth the trouble with the baldwin cam, since as far as i know no one has tested it yet.

turboTony
09-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
they do make adjustable cam sprockets for 450r's,..
I wouldn't trust them on a car and I sure as hell wouldn't trust them on my quad... All's it would take is a loosening from vibration and then you get, "Hi Mr. Piston. I'm Mr. Valve." :D

chad502ex
09-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by turboTony
I wouldn't trust them on a car and I sure as hell wouldn't trust them on my quad... All's it would take is a loosening from vibration and then you get, "Hi Mr. Piston. I'm Mr. Valve." :D

true, that would happen if the bolts come loose. many ppl use them and make sure the bolts are tighten extra tight.

sampleez
09-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by turboTony

i don't see what an adjustable sprocket has to do with not properly tightening bolts.

on my old 300ex we modded the stock sprocket to advance the timing on it a little w/ a different cam and never had any probs with it.

Martin Blair
09-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
please stop posting about things you have no clue about.

you can get a adjustable cam sprocket to retard or advance your cam, but you will also need a degree wheel to set it correctly. i would just leave it alone, its not worth the trouble with the baldwin cam, since as far as i know no one has tested it yet.

i dont know what im talking about, yet i said the same thing you did in a sentence instead of a paragraph. :rolleyes:

370kingR
10-01-2005, 05:42 AM

I agree with WhiteZee. If everyone posted a stupid post like that, we would get nowhere on here. No info, just a stupid statement. And NO, I WOULDNT "f" it up, mayby YOU WOULD.

Adjustable cam sprokets have worked in all my different 450r setups now, never had a problem. Take the time needed to do the job correctly with the proper tools and everything works fine.

The hardest thing about changing cam timing is having to take the time to clay check for valve to piston clearance after each cam timing adjustment. Minimum of .070 exhaust and .060 intake.

Advancing the cam timing helps bottom end grunt and smooths out the power hit but looses over revs and top end. Retarding the cam timing provides a longer over rev and a harder hitting midrange power band hit but is lazier on the bottom.

This is all to say that where the stock (or original) setting was at the optimim place already. It is possible to gain everywhere if the motor likes timing a bit one way or the other.

If you dont tinker with cams ALOT, i wouldnt mess with it, but if your bored, read up on it and buy a degree wheel kit from HotCams and do it!