PDA

View Full Version : pipe motor match??

XCredrider
09-29-2005, 06:43 PM
If you have a mid to topend port job and have a low to mid pipe will it work okay? Will you get a lowend gain and a strong mid with an okay topend or will it make you actually lose power this way? I have an FMF fatty that is for all around with a Duncan racing ported cylinder for mid to top so this should be okay untill i get a different pipe.

Eddiesanders250
09-29-2005, 06:59 PM
ya itll work good. you should def. get another pipe. but for now u will do fine.

methyman
09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
It will work like Eddiesanders250 said but you will not full use of the porting that was done to the cylinder with FMF pipe. I recommend ESR TRX5. Look here to see dyno sheet on pipe test.

Pipe Test Click Here (http://www.davemooreracing.com/Performance.html)

beerock
09-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by methyman
It will work like Eddiesanders250 said but you will not full use of the porting that was done to the cylinder with FMF pipe. I recommend ESR TRX5. Look here to see dyno sheet on pipe test.

Pipe Test Click Here (http://www.davemooreracing.com/Performance.html)

how can you say the trx5 is better then the fmf? in the stock graph the fmf makes more power then the trx5, and on the ported motor the trx5 is a little better but that could be because that particular porting works better then the fmf.

both the fmf and trx5 are for all around.

methyman
09-30-2005, 03:53 AM
Hey beerock this is no arguement on which pipe to get! I like the curve of the TRX5. It comes in sooner on low end and has a smoother curver. It my opinion not a demand. Look at the power and torque curve. The TRX6 is ESR's all around pipe. The TRX5 is more a mid to top pipe.

methyman
09-30-2005, 03:54 AM
TRX5

zedicus00
09-30-2005, 06:56 AM
ESR TRX-6 is bottom end
ESR TRX-5 is all around
ESR TRX-9 is mid to top
ESR TRX-11 is extreme top

same for porting and ESR pipes

fmf is good for all around on non-ported engines

ESR stuff obviosly, is made to utilize ported engines.

while yur engine will run if the pipe an ported dont match you may actually be loosing a lot of power, compared with a matched setup..

when doing porting an exhaust, dont forget about intake

MR.BIG
09-30-2005, 09:47 AM
In my opinion I would run either the duncan midrange pipe or and LRD. They are the best!

velocityatv
09-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Did you have the motor ported or was it someone else? A lot of the builders have different port maps unless you ask for something special, like pipe matching, or custom set up. If you just call them up and say I'd like a mid to top end port please. They're going to go to there shelf and pull there port map down that is there common everyday usage mid to top porting. If you have any numbers on the cylinder, sometimes you can call them and give your set up ( carb, pipe, elevation, reeds, riding style..) and they can tell you what pipe would fit best. More than likly they've taken the time to dyno there port work on previous motors and would would be able to help you get the most out of what you have. That's step one, if you get nothing there, borrow pipes from friends and try them out, I've gone so far before to get pipes off Ebay and if they don't work sell them back again on Ebay and get most or more than your money back.

It is best to have things matching ( port, pipe, reeds, carb ) to make the perfect set up. In cases like this I would try and pick up a cheap LRD adjustable. It will help a lot with the tuning factor. Also make sure your running a big enough carb to take advantage of the wilder porting. 36-38mm would work great.

wilkin250r
09-30-2005, 01:14 PM
In general, a low-end pipe and a hi-rev port job will SUCK together. The porting won't be able to build power down low, and pipe won't let the motor build power in the upper RPMs. You don't get the best of both, you get the WORST of both.

However, the FMF fatty isn't a "low-mid" pipe. It's an "all-around" pipe, and will still allow the engine to rev out high where the porting wants to make power. So, in this respect, the FMF pipe will work, but it's certainly not ideal. I bet you see at least 7hp increase with a pipe that matches your porting.

So, yes, it will work okay until you get a different pipe.

XCredrider
09-30-2005, 02:23 PM
i figured my setup would be decent but could be improved with a different pipe. I asked this question because my friend with a 450r got a stage 2 hotcam which is a mid and top cam and i think you actually lose bottom end with it but he wanted to put on a really good low end pipe and not a mid to top pipe. I didnt think it would work and told him excatly what wilkin told me. I just wanted a few people to back me on this. Thanks everyone :)

K-Dub
10-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Best pipe I ever ran on a 250R was the Paul Turner midrange by Duncan with a fatboy silencer. Gives you a deep throaty sound also.