PDA

View Full Version : Still not running right!

MCF400EX
09-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey all,
Well, I just cleaned the carb on my 400 and its still not running right. It idles when the choke is on, but when I turn off the choke, the RPM's go up slightly and then it dies. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Matt

UglyMotha™
09-29-2005, 07:22 PM
check all your vents and the gas tank vent :o

MCF400EX
09-29-2005, 07:25 PM
By vents what do you mean? Where are these vents at that you speak of?

Matt

UglyMotha™
09-29-2005, 07:38 PM
rubber lines on the carb and there's on the carb and the one on the gas tank cap trying take the cap off and see if it runs, if it'll only run when the choke is on it means your not getting enough gas or too much air

MCF400EX
09-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Forgot to mention, also spits and backfires when throttle is applied. Could I be running too lean?

Matt

UglyMotha™
09-29-2005, 07:44 PM
no........... sputters= rich bog=lean

MCF400EX
09-29-2005, 07:47 PM
So I need more air and less fuel. Should I adjust the mixture screw at the bottom of the carb? Which way should I turn it to lean it out?

Matt

UglyMotha™
09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
not necessarily, if it will only run on the choke than its not getting enough fuel, you won't be able to rev it up with the choked on cause the engine is choked

what started this problem why are you occuring it you need to pinpoint the problem first don't go adjusting crap if it ran fine before with the air screw where it's at then why would you have to change it have you added something to your bike or did it just up and stop running

MCF400EX
09-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Its bone stock. I had it sitting for a while, put a new battery, spark plug on it, changed the oil, fired right up, just wouldn't idle. Cleaned the carb out, still won't idle.

Matt

UglyMotha™
09-29-2005, 08:00 PM
then you have problems elsewhere DON'T ADJUST ANYTHING................... an air screw just doesn't up and adjust itself while its setting in a garage, furthermore it has very little to deal with this situation, your problem lies elsewhere, i would check the vents, air cleaner make sure you didn't get a mouse nest in there, also check the snorkle, put a new plug in it, your plug could just be fouled

MCF400EX
09-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Just checked the snorkel and air box, no obstructions, vents seem to be free of clogs and the like. I'll try putting a new plug in it tomorrow and see if that helps. Don't have a big enough spark plug socket :rolleyes: so I'll have to get one from my neighbor tomorrow and see if thats the issue.

Matt