PDA

View Full Version : cam problem!!

h450rider
09-29-2005, 05:28 PM
I bought a new Sparks cam and this happened some of you know why this happened?
the engine starts and after a few second it s stops
when we take it the valve cover into pieces the gear of the cam turn over his axle so the marks where alligned but the piston touched the valves.
Thanks

speedracer400
09-29-2005, 07:23 PM
did you buy a drop in cam? you may have needed shorter valves. you might want to check the cam specs.

Martin Blair
09-29-2005, 07:44 PM
uhh what the hell did he just say?

the valves should not hit the piston, if they did it is not installed properly.:huh

h450rider
09-29-2005, 08:01 PM
the problem was the cam , it turn where you install the gear chain with regard to the cam, and the marks of the cam where perfect but the valve were touching the piston

desratt
09-29-2005, 11:22 PM
he is from argentina

real bad accent

DirtDevilBT
10-05-2005, 12:48 AM
What the hell!???

Yeah, sounds like a big problem but when you started it did it make any noise or did it just stop running? Also, make sure you are on TDC and not BDC when you adjust the vavles. This might be a hard lesson learned but you alway turn the motor over buy hand after doing any engine mod. Do you have a degreeable cam gear?

h450rider
10-05-2005, 06:57 AM
it was at tdc point, the point of the cam where align with point of the right case,it just start the motor an d after a few seconds stops.
The installation was all right.
The cam when i install it where ok but when the motor start the part of the cam where i install the gear with the chain move from the place where sparks put it.
We call sparks and said that i have to send the cam because its a fault of them

quadrcr161
10-05-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by h450rider
the problem was the cam , it turn where you install the gear chain with regard to the cam, and the marks of the cam where perfect but the valve were touching the piston

the same thing happened to my HRC cam but luckly nothing hit. the cam gear was not seated on the shaft right and was almost to the point of falling off. i have the marks on the inside of my valve cover to prove it hit. the problem is that these cams do not have a keyway, mine was just not completely pressed on from the factory, the reason i say this is because when a pressed on piece spins or moves across the polished shaft it will usually leave a mark, and this one didnt. ive heard curtis uses some of the 03 crf cams and ti could be a deffect from honda. i contacted honda and they exchanged the cam, and rushed it to me, since this was during the ruch of the 04's.

honda350r
10-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
the same thing happened to my HRC cam but luckly nothing hit. the cam gear was not seated on the shaft right and was almost to the point of falling off. i have the marks on the inside of my valve cover to prove it hit. the problem is that these cams do not have a keyway, mine was just not completely pressed on from the factory, the reason i say this is because when a pressed on piece spins or moves across the polished shaft it will usually leave a mark, and this one didnt. ive heard curtis uses some of the 03 crf cams and ti could be a deffect from honda. i contacted honda and they exchanged the cam, and rushed it to me, since this was during the ruch of the 04's.

WTF are you guys talking about ? This cam does not have a pressed on gear! Two 7mm bolts are used to fasten the gear to the cam and torqed to 14 ft. lbs. !

quadrcr161
10-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by honda350r
WTF are you guys talking about ? This cam does not have a pressed on gear! Two 7mm bolts are used to fasten the gear to the cam and torqed to 14 ft. lbs. !

its the piece that the cam gear bolts to, sorry i miss labeled it. that piece is pressed on.