PDA

View Full Version : The T-man Ripped Me Off??

FoxRacing81
09-29-2005, 05:15 PM
I purchased Travis' (the Tman) 2001 400ex motor off him a few weeks ago. Got it unpacked, put into my frame, and this is what it sounds like.

Travis, you have some explaining to do man.

http://media.putfile.com/motor171

FasstMidnightZ
09-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Holy **** man ! That sounds pretty damn bad Travis your in some **** now.

Mxjunkie
09-29-2005, 05:18 PM
I dont know what that is man, never herd anything like it.. Maybe the pistons slapping a valve or hitting the head? Or maybe a valve issue such as too tight?

Thats pretty screwed up :eek2:

400ex28
09-29-2005, 05:18 PM
I'd say so! :eek2:

400exrider707
09-29-2005, 05:19 PM
OH GOD! That just makes me cringe!

09-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
I'd say so! :eek2:

agreed^^^

Quad18star
09-29-2005, 05:21 PM
My buddy's Raptor made the same sound ... it was the starter gone bad . It could also be the battery ... my YFZ made a similar sound when my battery didn't have enough juice .

YFZ450Ridr
09-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
My buddy's Raptor made the same sound ... it was the starter gone bad . It could also be the battery ... my YFZ made a similar sound when my battery didn't have enough juice .

my first thoughts on that are the battery too, my dads warrior made a sound just like that. but either way it doesnt sound to pleasant.

FoxRacing81
09-29-2005, 05:37 PM
I have no way to contact him at the moment. I never recieved his phone number, and he has been "banned" from his computer or something. Sorta strange...I have his address and everything though.

09-29-2005, 05:41 PM

same with me,

honda_racer_713
09-29-2005, 05:41 PM
I know that Travis didn't know it was like that. He wouldn't of sent it if he knew it was like that. i also know that either his computer is broke or he is grounded from it so u may not get a very quick response. But just know that he isn't one too rip someone off

jak1389
09-29-2005, 05:43 PM
ok i am pretty sure i know what your problem is. your battery needs some charging. i accidently left my key on and last weekend when i went to start it up it sounded like that. there was enough power to turn the neutral light on but not to start the quda. either charge your battery or try jump starting it.

honda_racer_713
09-29-2005, 05:43 PM
also, travis sent the motor with no oil in it... did u happen to put oil in it before u started it?

400ex28
09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Its deff not the battery ive had it happen and its nothing like that

FoxRacing81
09-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by jak1389
ok i am pretty sure i know what your problem is. your battery needs some charging. i accidently left my key on and last weekend when i went to start it up it sounded like that. there was enough power to turn the neutral light on but not to start the quda. either charge your battery or try jump starting it.

I'll throw a charger on the battery. But, my old EX motor never made this sound, even with a low battery. As you see in the video, the quad will start. And I have heard the sound you are talking about. Except whenever it makes that sound, the motor does not turn over at all.

If anyone knows Travis's phone number or any other way I can get in contact with him, let me know please.

Yes, I put 1 and 1 half quart of Mobil 1 Red Cap in it, was going to get it warmed up, and then add the rest.

-Justin

HondaRacer300ex
09-29-2005, 05:54 PM
What noice does it make when you rev it?

jak1389
09-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by FoxRacing81
I'll throw a charger on the battery. But, my old EX motor never made this sound, even with a low battery. As you see in the video, the quad will start. And I have heard the sound you are talking about. Except whenever it makes that sound, the motor does not turn over at all.

If anyone knows Travis's phone number or any other way I can get in contact with him, let me know please.

Yes, I put 1 and 1 half quart of Mobil 1 Red Cap in it, was going to get it warmed up, and then add the rest.

-Justin

mine didnt turn over at all. just made that same clicking sound. i jumped started it and it ran fine. try doing that. have someone pull you on another quad or push you and see if you can get it to start.

FoxRacing81
09-29-2005, 06:05 PM
It is running in the video. I am not holding the start switch. It is not the battery. I know the sound you are thinking of. This is not the same sound.

DEAL
09-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Sounds more like an over tightend valve to me

jak1389
09-29-2005, 06:12 PM
OoO, didnt know it was running. couldnt hear the exhaust. well check you vavle clearences. but thats really weird and carzy loud. if not the battery, no idea whats up, but keep us all informed.

DEAL
09-29-2005, 06:14 PM
That ticking sound doesn't sound TOO serious ... its def not the battery .. like really . why would anyone think that?

jak1389
09-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
That ticking sound doesn't sound TOO serious ... its def not the battery .. like really . why would anyone think that?

didnt realize it was running, and mine made the same clicking sound from the started when my battery was pretty dead:rolleyes:

standardryder
09-29-2005, 06:22 PM
check the stator, my bros warrior did that and the stator had gone bad. one way to check it is lift the rubber cover on the stator and connect the two terminals with a screwdriver or soemthing and if it turns over then there is your problem. i know he had that problem before (i use to have to push it so he could pop start it) and i thought it was the stator then but he changed the battory and it worked fine. travis is my neighbor and if its not the stator then ill go up and talk to him. and yes he is grounded so he wont be online for a while.

FoxRacing81
09-29-2005, 06:28 PM
I am not doing anything to it until I speak with Travis.

standardryder
09-29-2005, 06:30 PM
ill look up his number and pm it to ya. because i dont think he will be on for a while.

Pappy
09-29-2005, 06:35 PM
i cant hear it because my speakers are FUBAR

did you have to install the starter or did the engine arrive with it all assembled?

standardryder
09-29-2005, 06:38 PM
FoxRacing81

you have a pm

400ex28
09-29-2005, 06:39 PM
yea, that tapping is louder then the engine itself :scary:

dirt308
09-29-2005, 06:41 PM
I have the same sound before from a dead battery. A friend also had a similar sound when the starter went.

Plante400
09-29-2005, 06:46 PM
god stop talking about the dead batteries and ****..
thats not his celinoid u hear ticking its the motor.
the motor turned over and started and it makign the ticking noise itself.. a very bad one at that... talk to t-man first and see what he has to say... then rip it apart..

FoxRacing81
09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i cant hear it because my speakers are FUBAR

did you have to install the starter or did the engine arrive with it all assembled?

The motor was fully assembled whenever I got it.

I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago.
He said it never made that noise when he had it, I even let him listen to the video and he said Wow and that he has no idea.

I guess I'll check the valves and maybe swap the starter.

Quad18star
09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
It is running in the video. I am not holding the start switch. It is not the battery. I know the sound you are thinking of. This is not the same sound.

I didn't know it was running in the video ... you can even hear the exhaust . :eek2:

Pappy ... you know the sound a dead battery makes when you try to start a quad ... like it only has enough juice to turn it over once then it makes that clicking noise .... that's what the sound is like , only his quad IS running !! :ermm:

Quad18star
09-29-2005, 06:56 PM
The motor was fully assembled whenever I got it.

I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago.
He said it never made that noise when he had it, I even let him listen to the video and he said Wow and that he has no idea.

I guess I'll check the valves and maybe swap the starter.

Deff do the starter swap before tearing into the engine . Like I said , my buddy's Raptor makes the same sound cuz his starter is fubared !!!! Maybe your starter is staying engaged !?!?!:confused:

FoxRacing81
09-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Deff do the starter swap before tearing into the engine . Like I said , my buddy's Raptor makes the same sound cuz his starter is fubared !!!!

Is the sound that loud though? It seems way to loud to me to be the starter.

TORO1968
09-29-2005, 07:30 PM
That doesn't sound too good.

If you have his address, you can do a "reverse phone" lookup on www.whitepages.com so you can give him a call.

Hope that helps...

-Jordan

spud400ex
09-29-2005, 07:48 PM
sounds like the starter.

another thing to check is the cam chain tensioner/lifter, the part that mounts in the back of the cylinder. two friends have been having problems with them going out on their 440exs, the spring in the tensioner would break and take the tension out of the cam chain. one of the srpings broke and the chain hopped a few teeth on the cam sproket causing it to bend the valves.

Smoker
09-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Unless you got a great deal, I wouldn't do anything to it, get your money back. Even if you have to drive to his house.

Rastus
09-29-2005, 08:33 PM
To me, it definately sounds like some kind of small valve issue. Maybe one of the tapets on the rocker got loose? Also could be a chain tensioner issue.

At any rate, I don't think it could be a big problem. If it was a large problem you would definately know about it.

exracer416
09-29-2005, 08:39 PM
yeh i dont think its a big problem starter or valves are about the only things that tick in those motors theyre virtually bulletproof unless theyre stroked or bored to 440cc also might be withthe timing chain

450robot
09-29-2005, 08:47 PM
yah, the motor is running in the movie, you can hear the piston movement noise, it sounds like a valve problem to me, like its hitting the piston ot something, i dont think its a starte issue

Ex'In_Alberta
09-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by honda_racer_713
also, travis sent the motor with no oil in it... did u happen to put oil in it before u started it?

i was gunna say something about that

Warnerade
09-29-2005, 09:01 PM
change your spark plug

markk
09-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by jak1389

Thats not the celinoid clicking, That is Somthing in the top end it sounds like to me. What kinda motor kit did it have in it, and what kinda cam. THe sound is hard to pick out threw the video, But it sounds like mabey a Valve spring has broken, or one of the valves just became EXTREAMLY loose, or possibly a broken timing chain tennsioner.

I would pull the head pipe, and all the plastics and take the cam cover off and the timing chain tensioner and just start looking threw the valve terain. If everythign checks out there, pull the head and the jug, Check over the piston and skirt. Then grab you rod and see how much side-side play it has. And then grab the rod and see how much up and down play it has.
There should be just a touch of side-side, and absolutly NO up and down play in the rod. I think the feeler gauge specs on side-side play,I think is 10 thousanths.

See how that goes and let me know!

markk
09-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Is the sound that loud though? It seems way to loud to me to be the starter.

Raptor starters have always been JUNK!!!!!! The thing started in the movie, and it even sounded like the started disengauged. I would go threw your top end and check that out FIRST!

honduh440
09-30-2005, 12:14 AM
you can hear the starter spin at full blast thats clearly not the problem........ it sounds like the cam is slapping the **** out of the rocker arms

pull the valve cover off and see if its full of oil in their. Look for some wear on teh rocker arms cam ext ext and make sure the timing chain is on the sprockets and the bearings for the cam are in line basically look for the obvious things wrong then go from their

QuadJunkies
09-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Mike Boone needs to chime in on this one... :eek2:

Guy Sutton
09-30-2005, 01:13 AM
You guys got it all wrong. I would pull the motor and find out where that kid lived and talk to his parents and get my money back. I don't care what he said, that motor doesn't ship from the kid with absolutely no noise but suddenly when the motor arrives it knocks like crazy? I don't think so. He sold the motor and said he was grounded from his computer to dodge dealing with you. Just get your money back. Just my opinion.

QuadJunkies
09-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Start with a starter, see if you can borrow a freinds starter and see if that helps any...
We have had the low battery issue and the noise comes from the small relay behind the battery going to the coil back to the spark plug wire BUT, the sound comes from the relay and it is NOT that loud... It is NOT I repeat that loud.....Its hard to distuguish where the noise is coming from -from the video, if thats your old starter, NOT the one that came wit hthe motor, then you know its not a starter issue. If Valves are tapping, DO NOT FORCE IT TO RUN....Pull the top end off and check it and DO NOT TRY TO PULL START, your forcing possibly more damage , if you lived local we would check it out for you...;)

Good luck

FoxRacing81
09-30-2005, 04:13 AM
This motor is all stock. Never been opened up. That is one of the reasons why I wanted to buy it. I wanted to put it in and just go ride without worrying about it breaking.

But yeah, The cam, piston, everything..it's all stock.

Travis also said that he never had the valves adjusted, but he said it never sounded like it needed to. He also sent me a video of it running right before he took it out of his frame, and it sounded fine then.

I will check the valves and a few other things. I have the starter off of my old motor which I could swap with no trouble. I might try that if I find nothing bad with the valves. Maybe I will swap timing chain tensioners also.

-Justin

MOFO
09-30-2005, 04:15 AM
Ok kiddo's.... that is NOT a low battery solenoid click!

There is something wrong with that motor. It only seems to click after its running on its own power - not clicking during the turn over, or maybe I heard it wrong.

FoxRacing81
09-30-2005, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Ok kiddo's.... that is NOT a low battery solenoid click!

There is something wrong with that motor. It only seems to click after its running on its own power - not clicking during the turn over, or maybe I heard it wrong.

Yes. It does click when trying to start it also.

Guy400
09-30-2005, 04:19 AM
WTF?! There's no way I'd be doing anything with that motor besides sending it back to the seller and getting my money back.

That must've been a hell of a ride for that motor to sound perfect before shipping and then sound like that after.

bigvforcer
09-30-2005, 06:38 AM
A tight vlve would suck into the head and it would spin over real quick with almost no compression. I am with many others, it sounds like a loose valve slapping the piston. Almost as if the valve spring broke and the valve is staying in the open position as the piston comes to tap dead center.

The only clicking noise the starter or solenoid would make would be if the solenoid is constantly getting twelve volts and is not shutting off. That tick would not be near as loud as the one you are hearing.

Pull the rocker cover and inspect every thing real well and then as a last resort pull the head and inspect the valves and the piston! Your problem is in the top end, but where is the question!

BSTURDIVANT
09-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Definately don't start it any more until problem found!! Could have a bolt on top of the piston from pulling, shipping etc! Pull the top cap and check for the obvious-valve adjuster backed out,etc., but it sounds like something is on the piston!

09-30-2005, 08:12 AM
who shipped that thing? I bet it was old UPS

okieRrider
09-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Hello, I have the read the post here and can't get the video up as I am on dial up, but I have read the parts about a tight valve. I am in the aircraft engine business and as a rule of thumb on the valve clearances if you have a good tight valve clearance (in the minimum of the tolerance) the valve should not stick. I won't say "won't stick" because anything is possible. If a valve is sticking it is caused buy excessive valve to guide clearance and if you are going to take the head off I would check that....Chris

DEAL
09-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Its def a valve terrain problem .. have you pulled the covers off and checked the clearances yet?
I'd do that before I'd even touch the starter or stator .. I don't understand where people get that idea from.

Mxjunkie
09-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
WTF?! There's no way I'd be doing anything with that motor besides sending it back to the seller and getting my money back.

That must've been a hell of a ride for that motor to sound perfect before shipping and then sound like that after.

I'd pack it up and drive to mass and get my money back pronto, This motor sounds like it has more issues then your other motor Justin lol, I'd take it back get your money back and buy another motor..

Travis shipped it in really bad way, he put it in a rubbermaid container and wraped the motor in blankets :ermm:

I wouldnt be scared to say it was dropped..

As everyone else is stating its a valve issue or something in the motor I dont see how they get starter out of it but who knows, I'm a 2 stroke guy part time thumper :chinese:

jcv400ex
09-30-2005, 10:08 AM
I'd just start a claim through UPS. I would not open up the motor, take it to a shop and have them figure out the trouble. Then you have it all documented. All in all you should either get a new motor or have it fixed for free.

Sending it back to Travis just screws him, as he cannot file a complaint at UPS. I would look into it, good luck to you.

Quad18star
09-30-2005, 11:19 AM
This should be a " sticky" for others ... ALWAYS make sure you hear , see and test something BEFORE buying it !!!!! I learnt the hard way also ... bought a Quadracer and 2 weeks later the crank went on it . It was a $1500 learning lesson !!!!

TheJaspMan
09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Couple thoughts and questions:

I couldn't really tell by the video, but was it actually running? If so it sounded pretty smooth to have a dropped valve.

Is it possible the starter is stuck out and allowing the flywheel to continue smacking against the starter gear?

Is there a bolt or something backout that the stator is smacking against?

Simple question, did you fill it with oil BEFORE running the motor? And how long did the motor sit without oil in it?

Mxjunkie
09-30-2005, 12:19 PM
I know travis didnt have a clutch cable for awhile and he was starting it in gear. I know thats hard as hell on starters..

me and 400ex28 noticed it in a helmet cam he sent me about 2 months ago..

Tommy 17
09-30-2005, 01:00 PM
did the motor run at all without noises before that knocking started... even for a few seconds...

i'm wondering if bc the oil was drained completely and u only put in a 1.5 quarts that when u 1st started it up u starved the top end of oil and fried something... i know alot of people do this and dont even realize it... just bc u filled the tank up doesn't mean the oil automatically went to the top end...

this happened to my friend on his 400ex after a rebuild... he starved the top end of oil in the 1st few seconds and totaled it... granted thou he did have absolutely 0 oil in the top end because it was a rebuild... i dunno how much or how well travis drained this motor but if thats that case then its ur fault...

no tryin to say u did it but i'm just sayin its possible...

300excrazy98
09-30-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
did the motor run at all without noises before that knocking started... even for a few seconds...

i'm wondering if bc the oil was drained completely and u only put in a 1.5 quarts that when u 1st started it up u starved the top end of oil and fried something... i know alot of people do this and dont even realize it... just bc u filled the tank up doesn't mean the oil automatically went to the top end...

this happened to my friend on his 400ex after a rebuild... he starved the top end of oil in the 1st few seconds and totaled it... granted thou he did have absolutely 0 oil in the top end because it was a rebuild... i dunno how much or how well travis drained this motor but if thats that case then its ur fault...

He could be right...

Tommy 17
09-30-2005, 01:08 PM
and the one thing in this tread that pisses me off is everyone automatically calls him out as a punk who ripped somone off before they really look into the problem...

hell for all we know when the motor was put into the frame dirt got into one of the lines, etc and fried it... don't blame the kid for it before u even know what the problme is...

i've watched a ton of people get dirt into the top of their motor by the one oil line ontop of the head... its a direct path to the valve train;)

Mxjunkie
09-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Sounds like tommy mighta hit the nail on the head.

FoxRacing81
09-30-2005, 01:13 PM
No, the motor made the noise as soon as I hit the start button the first time.

and yes, I put oil in before starting it.

I was a little bit mad (wouldn't you be?) whenever I made this thread, that is why I made the title the way it is. After talking to Travis over the phone, he really convinced me that it was fine before it left his house. I am betting that UPS probably did something to it.

-Justin

TheJaspMan
09-30-2005, 01:14 PM
I am just interested to see what the issue is. It's an odd sound, but the engine actually seemed to run smooth.

If he was starting the quad in gear it would only affect the clutch and starter. The internal engine shouldn't be harmed. That tends to make me wonder if there is a clutch issue. Or possibly a stator.

It could def be a vavle. But it seems like you would hear it stumble while it was running. Not a consistant click. It didn't even sound like clatter, more like a consitant click. Sort of like something spinning and hitting something. That's why I wondered if maybe something came lose and was rattling off the stator.

Think of a playing card in the spokes of a tire. Same concept.

TheJaspMan
09-30-2005, 01:16 PM
No, the motor made the noise as soon as I hit the start button the first time.

and yes, I put oil in before starting it.

I was a little bit mad (wouldn't you be?) whenever I made this thread, that is why I made the title the way it is. After talking to Travis over the phone, he really convinced me that it was fine before it left his house. I am betting that UPS probably did something to it.

-Justin

I'm not really sure what UPS could have done. The beating a quad takes while riding is MUCH worse than any kind of shipper could do. Especially if it was packaged right.

standardryder
09-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by TheJaspMan
I'm not really sure what UPS could have done. The beating a quad takes while riding is MUCH worse than any kind of shipper could do. Especially if it was packaged right.

but you cant drop a motor on the ground if its in a quad...
i rode with travis before he started parting out his quad, and that noise is new to me.

FoxRacing81
09-30-2005, 01:24 PM

That's just it though.
I don't think he packed it "well" enough. It came in a rubbermaid container with a cotton sheet thing wrapped around it. That was it.

TheJaspMan
09-30-2005, 01:33 PM
That's just it though.
I don't think he packed it "well" enough. It came in a rubbermaid container with a cotton sheet thing wrapped around it. That was it.

That is an entirely seperate issue.

Giz400ex
09-30-2005, 01:42 PM
I think its a dead battery!:D :D :D LOL:D

wvspeedfreak
09-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Ck the timing chain tensioner.

theTman
09-30-2005, 04:54 PM
i have the video of the motor 3 days before it was shipped to justin...ill put it on putfile in a few minuets...so you can all stop saying i ripped him off and sent him a crappy junk motor, becuase im not that kind of a person and wouldnt never rip anyone off, and as justin stated i said, this noise is new to me...

and as for the rubbermaid bin shipping josh...that is how 300exrida sent his and i packed it the same way he did

tizz
09-30-2005, 07:19 PM
me and my dad watched your vid and we think it's either the timing chain or mabe you valve, If its the valve its over tightend or hitting the head.

09-30-2005, 08:20 PM
i know you dont wanna do this, but pull the head.. thats more than a timing chain.. mine ticked, but nothing nearly that loud..

when you pull the head, youl lbeable to see if you have any issues and if its all clean and like it should be, its probably a bearing down on the bottom, but that sounds straight from the top end... on the valves...

pull the head and im sure you will find the answer.

Jesse

FoxRacing81
10-02-2005, 06:35 PM
UPDATE:

Changed the starters, no difference.
Check the valves, all of them seemed tight.
Changed the timing chain tensioners out. Still nothing.

Anymore ideas?

TheJaspMan
10-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Did you check to make sure nothing is floating around inside the stater and clutch areas?

QuadJunkies
10-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Did you check to make sure nothing is floating around inside the stater and clutch areas? Also, how did you check the valves?? Did you actually check to see if they were hitting the piston?? I wouldnt think that would be it if it was stock?? :confused:

FoxRacing81
10-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Also, how did you check the valves?? Did you actually check to see if they were hitting the piston?? I wouldnt think that would be it if it was stock?? :confused:

My dad just checked to make sure none of them we're broken.

I was at Steel City all day watching races, I am just going off what my dad told me he had done while I was gone.

FoxRacing81
10-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Bump

L & L Racing
10-03-2005, 07:14 AM
my yfz made a similar sound when i put something in the starter in backwords when i put my fly wheel on. i turned that little gear around and it worked fine

2004exrider
10-03-2005, 07:16 AM
you sure its not rod knock? kinda sounds like it to me.

Jimmy

aviator4
10-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Okay, here's something else to check:

If it's a stock engine, the cam shoud still have it's decompression actuator on it. To me, it sounds like that actuator is stuck. Have you checked it for free movement? If it's stuck, it's going to hang a valve.

It also kind of sounds like piston slap, like the skirt has been broken on the piston... which is BAD news... you're talking engine work there.

Also, with the exhaust as quiet as it is, is it possible that this is an exhaust header "tap" ? Did you change the exhaust seals when you put the header on? I noticed that at the end of the video, it only taps when the engine acutally fires. When it misses, it doesn't... that may be an exhaust leak. What exhaust is on this bike?

culookn
10-03-2005, 11:16 AM
im not a pro at engine building or anything but could the cam be timed wrong with the motor?

Lurkin
10-03-2005, 12:06 PM
i cant help but laugh at this thread. half the people that has responded couldnt have read this whole thread.

if its a stock motor and he said he has never adjusted the valves then why do people keep goin back to that?

and cam timed wrong?? yea that goes back tot he stock motor that nothing has been done too.

400exrider707
10-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

Ok after reading all of these posts this seems to make the most sense. Just exactly how good was the engine drained of oil? I know you said you had put 1 1/2 quarts back in, but you are also supposed to dump some right into the valve cover to ensure proper lube on start-up.

400exrider707
10-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by theTman
im not that kind of a person and wouldnt never rip anyone off,

Anyone else find that double negative funny?? Just messin w/ ya Tman.:blah:

QuadJunkies
10-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Lurkin
i cant help but laugh at this thread. half the people that has responded couldnt have read this whole thread.

if its a stock motor and he said he has never adjusted the valves then why do people keep goin back to that?

and cam timed wrong?? yea that goes back tot he stock motor that nothing has been done too.

my quote~~

Also, how did you check the valves?? Did you actually check to see if they were hitting the piston?? I wouldnt think that would be it if it was stock??

WEll, Im not one of those people... So whats your thoughts on whats wrong then???
Personally I think its tough to say from the sound its hard to hear WHERE the noise is coming from personally.AGAIN.. The only way to know FOR SURE would be to tear it down and inspect everything good, a 400ed motor is fairly simple to deal with.

JDiablo
10-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by theTman

and as for the rubbermaid bin shipping josh...that is how 300exrida sent his and i packed it the same way he did

ya i did,and i told you to put a couple of layers of cardboard as the base,followed by foam blocks or some heavy duty cardboard as a support wall,put the engine in it,cover it with more foam and what not,then put the cover on and zip tie it :devil:

FoxRacing81
10-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
ya i did,and i told you to put a couple of layers of cardboard as the base,followed by foam blocks or some heavy duty cardboard as a support wall,put the engine in it,cover it with more foam and what not,then put the cover on and zip tie it :devil:

Definatly wasn't done like that. There was actually a hole in the bottom of the rubbermaid box.

JDiablo
10-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Definatly wasn't done like that. There was actually a hole in the bottom of the rubbermaid box.

Well when i got my engine back the bottom was crack the zip ties were snapped off so i will bet UPS had something to do with it though :o

10-03-2005, 01:57 PM
should have used alot of packaging tape instead of zip ties.

Rastus
10-03-2005, 02:48 PM

To reply:

Because you're supposed to check the valves. :rolleyes: If he hasn't ever checked them, then there's a possibility that it could be somewhat of a problem.

Lurkin
10-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Rastus
To reply:

Because you're supposed to check the valves. :rolleyes: If he hasn't ever checked them, then there's a possibility that it could be somewhat of a problem.

everybody been hollering they are too tight, since when have you ever seen a valve tighten up on its own?

10-03-2005, 03:09 PM
everybody been hollering they are too tight, since when have you ever seen a valve tighten up on its own?

When the lock nut is not tightened up enough from the factory and comes loose.

Lurkin
10-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by chuck wood
When the lock nut is not tightened up enough from the factory and comes loose.

and again we are talkin about a old 400ex motor that has been running for years.

bulkdriverlp
10-03-2005, 03:45 PM
ROD KNOCK!!!!

01-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by djprettyrick
mine sounded the exact same way its a bad crank bearing...honda shop checked everything up top and everything was good..they told me it wasnt anything up top even though it sounds like valves or piston slap..the noise travels..ill bet my quad it was a crank bearing

Check that out.. either u found the problem or u get a new quad!

FoxRacing81
01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Very good chance it is, because I found nothing wrong up top. I am currently using both motors to make 1 work, so it doesn't really matter now...oh well, thanks anyway!

-Justin