PDA

View Full Version : 06 reviews

KOG
09-29-2005, 07:32 AM
just wondering what u guys think of ur new 06 450r and how well it runs becouse i am geting one somtime next week so how do u guys liek them

spincr4hire
09-29-2005, 07:47 AM
I plan on picking mine up during lunch today, going riding this weekend..will let you know.

Shawn H
09-29-2005, 11:17 AM
I pick up mine tomorrow didnt want a E-start but hate to wait.i still got a kicker ordered :D

quadjeff
09-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi Guys,

My buddy went to Washougal with Honda last week. He rode the electric and the kick start version. Here is a little info...

1. Electric start feels heavier than the kick. Obivious weight due to the electric start..

2. The quad does not have the push it had in the front end since the front end is a 1/2 inch back also the new spindles seem to help.

3. He said the stock power of the 06 is like a 04,05 with a HRC kit. He really liked the response with the carb. Did not mention that it was stiff on his thumb...

4. Honda only had 1 kick start version so he only had a little time on it.. But is going to wait until march to get a kick start. Our riding is mainly desert and MX. We do not have alot of tight trees like on the east coast where the e-start would be really nice.

5. They did not have time to put the HRC kit in any quads but said with the kit and pipe it will have 50HP at the rear wheels. Sounds nice to me.

6. The rear end of the quad work pretty good. It still has a little bucking to it but not like the 04, 05 models..

7. Washougal is a national track and has a really killer up hill "Horse power hill" He said the quad ripped it up..

8. Without a doubt it is a huge improvement from the 04,05. He said go buy one no matter what...

Jonas
09-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by quadjeff

5. They did not have time to put the HRC kit in any quads but said with the kit and pipe it will have 50HP at the rear wheels. Sounds nice to me.

Good review info. This is the kind of stuff I've been waiting for.

You and me both know that it won't really have 50 rear wheel with HRC even;)

I saw that number at the Honda show. Maybe they mean 50 crank??

Jersey450R
09-29-2005, 12:10 PM
I like my 05'. I'm keeping it. :o

09-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R

i agree :macho

Quad_Runner
09-29-2005, 03:23 PM
I will be selling my Shee for a new 450R.

Great Review.

09-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Quad_Runner
I will be selling my Shee for a new 450R.

Great Review.

good to hear, you will love the R :macho

Out_Sider
09-29-2005, 03:26 PM
i'm not keepin my 05, pos transmission slips like a biitch

09-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I love the throttle response on mine its nice n zippy

I noticed today since i was screwing around a lot that it is like impossible to flip it doing a donut lol the new back end is sweet

I dont know what everyone is bi*chin about my thumb never hurts

The biggest thing i noticed was the shocks.. they are amazing

Dippy Dawg
09-29-2005, 03:57 PM

Me too,me too.. it would be nutz $$wise to upgrade every year,maybe every 3 for me,Honda is just going to continue to upgrade the machine every year so I can't wait to see what the future has instore!!!! Should be awsome

Quad_Runner
09-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
i'm not keepin my 05, pos transmission slips like a biitch

What happened? I thought Honda made great transmissions.

Shawn H
09-29-2005, 05:29 PM
I have yet to hear about a bad tranny.

Probably need a new clutch:confused:

09-29-2005, 05:41 PM
transmission dont slip, clutches slip

spincr4hire
09-29-2005, 06:01 PM
picked her up today, finally..

spincr4hire
09-29-2005, 06:02 PM

spincr4hire
09-29-2005, 06:05 PM
first ride impressions (and in ride I mean up and down the neighborhood streets, I will hit the woods this weekend). Power is VERY snappy. I think it has more power than my 05 that had the HRC kit and HMF pipe. Throttle response is awesome. The only complaint I have is the dealer didn't fully charge the battery.
I was smiling from ear to ear after my first ride:D

spincr4hire
09-29-2005, 06:06 PM

spincr4hire
09-29-2005, 07:02 PM

Jersey450R
09-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Its not that they didnt charge the battery, the 06 estart just cranks slow. i've been hearing that all over. that may be an issue when it gets cold out.

CDALEMX301
09-29-2005, 08:49 PM
what about the same size battery with more CCA has anyone looked into seeing if the same group size battery could possibley have another with more CCA would cause the motor to crank better.

ThumPIN_450R
09-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Shawn H
I have yet to hear about a bad tranny.

Probably need a new clutch:confused:

I blew mine to peices a few months ago

Martin Blair
09-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Im keeping the 04. Infact i am in the process of putting a 13:1 JE piston and stage 2 hotcam in her just to be sure she can rape the fugly 06s.

quads_kicka$$
09-30-2005, 12:23 AM
I can't stand the look of the headlight, honda should have kept it the same. What were they thinking?

Quad_Runner
09-30-2005, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
transmission dont slip, clutches slip

My mistake. Thanks

Jersey450R
09-30-2005, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by CDALEMX301
what about the same size battery with more CCA has anyone looked into seeing if the same group size battery could possibley have another with more CCA would cause the motor to crank better.
true true, besides, any bigger and the battery would be on the ground :p

Quad_Runner
09-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Its not that they didnt charge the battery, the 06 estart just cranks slow. i've been hearing that all over. that may be an issue when it gets cold out.

Is this a typical problem with the CRF engines too.

spincr4hire
09-30-2005, 05:37 AM

no, they didn't charge it fully, it doesn't have enough juice to crank over

spincr4hire
09-30-2005, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by quads_kick*****
I can't stand the look of the headlight, honda should have kept it the same. What were they thinking?

The headlight changed because if you are a racer, you can take the headlight off without changing out the hood.;)

Jersey450R
09-30-2005, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
no, they didn't charge it fully, it doesn't have enough juice to crank over :uhoh: wow...

Transplant2
09-30-2005, 08:27 AM

I like it better. And I like the motor better too. :D You should be able to swap the plastic between the years.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-30-2005, 08:32 AM
I looked through the Yuasa application guide and can't find a better battery in that size with more cca the factory battery has 130 cca the yfz battery is physically bigger and only has 80cca. by the way the retail on the battery is $114 :eek2:

09-30-2005, 10:04 AM
that's an expensive battery!!!
glad i have an 05 kick start.;)

i'm keeping mine too...........and when i buy an 07 or 08, you guys with the 06's will be like, "this sucks, my quad's a P.O.S.".

muhahahaha

Quad_Runner
09-30-2005, 10:12 AM
130 cca should be more than enough to crank this beast over.

I buy the new 450R but I'm a little worried about the hard starting issue. If it actually is an issue.

KOG
09-30-2005, 10:49 AM
so have any of u guys raced any 05 450rs or any yfzs i know the 06 is gonna be way faster than my z400 and to me my z is pretty fast but once u got speed u want somthing just a lil bit faster

jmoney45
09-30-2005, 10:53 AM

Are you serious? The new headlight looks worlds better.

Jonas
09-30-2005, 01:45 PM

Just for the record, the '06 e-start that we have at our store is brand new and starts immediately we no hesitation. It starts quicker and with seemingly less strain than a 400ex.

Jonas
09-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Transplant2
I like it better. And I like the motor better too. :D You should be able to swap the plastic between the years.

I didn't really like the new headlight when I first saw it either. I wasn't a big fan of the 04/05 when I saw them at first, but now I like the 04/05 and now like the '06 after seeing it a few times. It is much cleaner looking in '06 that in '05.

Quad_Runner
09-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
Just for the record, the '06 e-start that we have at our store is brand new and starts immediately we no hesitation. It starts quicker and with seemingly less strain than a 400ex.

Glad to here that. I really want to get the new R with E-Start.

I currently own a Banshee and I'm tired of kicking. I guess my age is showing.:eek2:

exrider44
09-30-2005, 03:37 PM
You sure its your age and that your triangle isnt hurting? j/k :devil: Kick on the R is so easy.

projectram
09-30-2005, 06:08 PM
I think the new lights look sick. One big step up for honda in my book. I wonder how it will compare to the new yfz?

Transplant2
09-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by force
i'm keeping mine too...........and when i buy an 07 or 08, you guys with the 06's will be like, "this sucks, my quad's a P.O.S.".

Is that how you feel now? :macho If they make a better one it will be an excuse to buy a new quad.

Originally posted by Quad_Runner
I buy the new 450R but I'm a little worried about the hard starting issue. If it actually is an issue.
No issues. Fires on first revolution. Unless I stall it...then it's the second revolution. :cool:

Originally posted by projectram
I wonder how it will compare to the new yfz?
I think it will win. I'll let you know after next weekend.

Shawn H
10-01-2005, 08:09 AM
I picked my 06 up yesterday and I have to say I kind of like the E-start.i still have a kicker ordered but for now Its cool.

Kinda of Cold blooded and it pulls 2nd gear wheelies very easy:cool:

cals400ex
10-01-2005, 10:53 AM
i think this bike is going to be sweet. stock 06 is around 42 horsepower at the tires and 33 lbs-ft of torque. this is with the stock cam and stock air box lid on. i am thinking that an 04-05 with the hrc cam, air box lid, filter, and jetting was a hair short of this. heck, it probably took a pipe too to get to this mark on the older models.

Shawn H
10-01-2005, 12:34 PM
I have rode it thru my woods, I do have to say I hate the damn thing as of right now>

The Stock rear still bucks if pounded on hard,
I dont care who ya are it does not turn very sharp:rolleyes: (need to cut the stem).

The idle is way to low>Mine stalls very easy:mad: Wheelies extremely easy>
Does have a nice pull to it bone stock>

E-start Im not so sure its strong enough,Kinda reminds me of my Z450 stroker when hot barely turns it over if ya cant get it started>

You have to be patient when starting any little bit of gas and it wont turn over quick enough to fire.

Of course this is all the 1st and 2nd ride, need to fine tune it to my style of riding.Thumb throttle has not bothered me yet>Already had to tighten the chain>

Tearing it all apart Monday and building it up for next years season and maybe 1 race this year>

Subframe is different in the rear looks to hold up better than the 04's I broke mine at the seat bar>

Quad_Runner
10-01-2005, 05:54 PM
********.com ride review.

I must say it looks very good.

http://www.********.com/machines/honda/hondaridetest450-06.htm

spincr4hire
10-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
I looked through the Yuasa application guide and can't find a better battery in that size with more cca the factory battery has 130 cca the yfz battery is physically bigger and only has 80cca. by the way the retail on the battery is $114 :eek2:

Batteries Plus has the same size battery for $32, its an Xtreme brand. 1 year warranty, and I think it has a tad more CCA's also. I had to buy one this morning to ride because the dealership gave me 2 bad batteries...:mad:

I love the 06, it rips! I don't think the thumb throttle is bad at all, and I've got torn ligaments in that thumb...:eek2:
I think the rear bucking is much less of an issue, also.
I guess I'm the only one that really loves this quad, I think its better in every way. I can't wait to get my Elkas back from Laz along with the new GTT link!:cool:

The only thing I have on the 06 at this time are Hipers, Razr2 fronts, Razr1 rears, Precision Stabilizer, Flexx bars, trail tech clamp, Powermadds, Spider A3 grips, ASV clutch lever, IMS/Roll footpegs, Hellbound parking brake block-off...thats about it. Can't wait till somebody makes a full exhaust system for this thing..sounds like crap stock..thats about my only complaint

Pappy
10-01-2005, 06:45 PM
i just ran the YTZ7S thru my computer and its nowhere near the $114 price...colby if you need some let me know.

i will check also on finding a higher cca unit but size im pretty sure colby is correct and there will be no stock size higher cca unit available....but ill check.

$32....ill say its crap so it should last you forever:blah:

spincr4hire
10-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i$32....ill say its crap so it should last you forever:blah:

beats 2 bumb Yuasa's that wouldn't even hold a charge.

My dealer told me over $110 on the batteries as well, but we all know how much they try to ream ya.:p
There is a battery the same length and depth, that is roughly 1.5 inches taller. I think the current bracket could be modified to make it work.

Pappy
10-01-2005, 07:22 PM
yep, my brother was here and said the part# but i dont have a book here at home. i will try and get the upgrade asap.

the newer batteries in the R and YFZ are factory activated by the battery manufacture and they sit around to much:chinese: we have good luck getting them in right from Yuasa, and they dont sit:cool:

spincr4hire
10-01-2005, 07:26 PM
the newer batteries in the R and YFZ are factory activated by the battery manufacture and they sit around to much:chinese: we have good luck getting them in right from Yuasa, and they dont sit:cool:

I believe that. I looked on the bottom of the second Yuasa I got, the date said Feb. 2002. No wonder it was shot. Oh, and the YZ450F dirtbike uses the same battery as the 06 450R as well.

Honda
10-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Sounds good, but I am not going to be trading my 04 any time soon. I have way too much money in her to let go, probably will wait a few more years to see what else they do.

Honda made substantial changes to the power plant, but I would have liked to see more for the chassis.

They could have widened the front end a bit, lowered the stance some. The 8mm change for the ergos seems so minuscule, and why only 1/2 on the swing arm?

I love the look of the new headlight, but I would have removed it anyway.

I have to ask myself, does Honda even pay any attention to what the magazines, aftermarket and customers say about and do with the machine?

For example, why a 1/2" on the swing arm, when a few are doing a minimum of 3/4" and most are doing 1 1/4"? Why didn't they widen the front-end when they revamped the A-arms and knuckles?

I have no doubt that the new machine will be showing up in the winners circle at many a race track, and will satisfy the needs of pleasure riders, but I have to say that I expected more or at least more drastic changes than what was done.

I was pleasently suprised however, at least they didn't dissapoint us again this year with the standard "same old, same old" attitude.

spincr4hire
10-02-2005, 07:30 AM
********'s review on the 06 R.
http://www.********.com/machines/honda/hondaridetest450-06.htm

50 HP with the HRC kit...
:devil:

Jonas
10-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Sounds good, but I am not going to be trading my 04 any time soon. I have way too much money in her to let go, probably will wait a few more years to see what else they do.

Honda made substantial changes to the power plant, but I would have liked to see more for the chassis.

They could have widened the front end a bit, lowered the stance some. The 8mm change for the ergos seems so minuscule, and why only 1/2 on the swing arm?

I love the look of the new headlight, but I would have removed it anyway.

I have to ask myself, does Honda even pay any attention to what the magazines, aftermarket and customers say about and do with the machine?

For example, why a 1/2" on the swing arm, when a few are doing a minimum of 3/4" and most are doing 1 1/4"? Why didn't they widen the front-end when they revamped the A-arms and knuckles?

I have no doubt that the new machine will be showing up in the winners circle at many a race track, and will satisfy the needs of pleasure riders, but I have to say that I expected more or at least more drastic changes than what was done.

I was pleasently suprised however, at least they didn't dissapoint us again this year with the standard "same old, same old" attitude.

I was told from the offroad products rep for Honda that the front end is 30mm wider? Was he incorrect?

Honda
10-02-2005, 01:42 PM
I was told from the offroad products rep for Honda that the front end is 30mm wider? Was he incorrect?

Not sure, I based my statements off of the ATV Scene ride review, If I am wrong though, that would be great.

Jonas
10-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I was specifically told that the rear end width was kept about the same but the front end was widened by this much. I guess I will just have to get off my rear end and measure them both when I get back to work.

Shawn H
10-02-2005, 04:56 PM
I also noticed that the 06 frame is generally the same but all motor mount brackets are different... They will not interchange with out mods.

Also the Subframe is different as well.

My Stock 06 is neck and neck with my 05 with a 480r,HRC cam and HRC endcap.

We switched riders Im 50 lbs lighter than the other guy but it didnt matter which machine I was on I had a 2 quad length in 600ft.:eek2:

Every time I ride Im impressed>

Dave400ex
10-02-2005, 05:17 PM
The ATV Scene review was very good. They really didn't say anything bad. The more I read, the better it sounds...

spincr4hire
10-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I also noticed that the 06 frame is generally the same but all motor mount brackets are different... They will not interchange with out mods.

Also the Subframe is different as well.

We switched riders Im 50 lbs lighter than the other guy but it didnt matter which machine I was on I had a 2 quad length in 600ft.:eek2:

glad you like it now, Shawn. I thought I was the only one..:cool:

Transplant2
10-02-2005, 08:58 PM
I got my second ride on it today and I am 10 times more impressed than I already was from last weekend. Why? Cause I pulled the cork out of the exhaust and it flat out rips. That and I was more aggresive with it. Best of all it's still has the spark arrestor. :D Oh...and I beat an '06 yfz in a sand hill drag. He had his cork out too. :macho

Jonas
10-02-2005, 09:06 PM
I got my second ride on it today and I am 10 times more impressed than I already was from last weekend. Why? Cause I pulled the cork out of the exhaust and it flat out rips. That and I was more aggresive with it. Best of all it's still has the spark arrestor. :D Oh...and I beat an '06 yfz in a sand hill drag. He had his cork out too. :macho

Did you own a 04 or 05 to compare with?

STR330R
10-02-2005, 09:22 PM

WoW! that is very impressive. I have rode a 480r and they flat out rip. Can't wait to get a TRX 06.

Transplant2
10-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
Did you own a 04 or 05 to compare with?

Not but I ride with a few...all have HRC kits only. Can't do a fair comparison till I have my 22" haulers. Gut feeling is that it would be a tie or slight advantage to '06.

spincr4hire
10-03-2005, 05:47 AM

did you have to rejet after you did that? i was thinking about doing the same thing.

KOG
10-03-2005, 07:17 AM
lets see some pics of these things the more you guys talk about the 06 450r the more i cant wiat to get it

spincr4hire
10-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by KOG
lets see some pics of these things the more you guys talk about the 06 450r the more i cant wiat to get it
go back to page 2 of this thread

Transplant2
10-03-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
did you have to rejet after you did that? i was thinking about doing the same thing.

I didn't rejet but I should probly go up on the main jet. I was mostly just trying it out...and I like the results. Low to mid woke up a lot. I didn't get on the top end too much just in case it's lean.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-03-2005, 09:23 AM
i just ran the YTZ7S thru my computer and its nowhere near the $114 price...colby if you need some let me know.

i will check also on finding a higher cca unit but size im pretty sure colby is correct and there will be no stock size higher cca unit available....but ill check.

$32....ill say its crap so it should last you forever:blah:

thats what the Yuasa lists for retail price in the 05 book I have

Pappy
10-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
thats what the Yuasa lists for retail price in the 05 book I have
i will re verify the cost...as much as the prices have been shooting up i wouldnt doubt anything:p

Colby@C&DRacing
10-03-2005, 09:31 AM
i will re verify the cost...as much as the prices have been shooting up i wouldnt doubt anything:p

Hope you can find it for way less !!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Pappy
10-03-2005, 10:12 AM
ok, reverified, part number is actually a FAYTZ7S (FA=Factory activated)

$114 is full list and probably what will be asked at the dealerships. they should retail at about $89, still too much if you ask me:p

RedRacer44
10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
I picked up my '06 on saturday and ran a few heat cycles on it. I rode it a tad bit, nothing extravagant but it definitely feels like it has some more THUMP to it! It revs way better and has better throttle response as expected. I really cant say for sure how it runs compared to my '04 450 with JE 13:1 piston/Stage2 HotCam w/ Sparks Big Core.

After a visit to JH Racing as he was tearing his '06 motor apart and finding some very interesting things inside....I come to the conclusion this motor has A LOT MORE potential to make HP than the '04s and '05s. 50 HP should be reached pretty easily. The stock piston is good so with exhaust, jetting, and a cam.....this thing SHOULD rip!!

As far as handling, I cant tell ya anything and wont be able to tell ya anything as far as stock. I got Holz LT front end w/ Elkas coming this week hopefully, I'll let ya guys know how that all works out.....

I HATE the e-start so far, but thats probably due to the fact that my last 2 race bike have been kick-start (250R, 450R). Heh, I hoped on my '04 to move it and it fired on the 2nd kick after sitting for over a week....makes a man feel good! I think once I get to really finish breaking it in and put an exhaust on, it'll be better. You can just tell its being bottled up with the stock exhaust/jetting, just like the '04s/'05s.

So far my Laker Custom plastics, quad tech hood, handle bars, AC nerfs, IMS Pegs, LSR axle, LSR anti-fade, and JH Racing steering dampener all fit up. The nerf bars were a battle somewhat but it all worked out.

More in the weeks to come :devil:

Shawn H
10-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Yep some nerfs will not directly bolt up,The motor mounts are not recessed as much as the previuos 450R's.

If your nerfs mount to the motor mount ya have to cut the spacer so they fit.

Also I noticed the rear grab bars ARE NOT interchangeable:mad: The rear muffler supoort is used in conjunction with the rear grab bar.

10-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
I picked up my '06 on saturday and ran a few heat cycles on it. I rode it a tad bit, nothing extravagant but it definitely feels like it has some more THUMP to it! It revs way better and has better throttle response as expected. I really cant say for sure how it runs compared to my '04 450 with JE 13:1 piston/Stage2 HotCam w/ Sparks Big Core.

After a visit to JH Racing as he was tearing his '06 motor apart and finding some very interesting things inside....I come to the conclusion this motor has A LOT MORE potential to make HP than the '04s and '05s. 50 HP should be reached pretty easily. The stock piston is good so with exhaust, jetting, and a cam.....this thing SHOULD rip!!

As far as handling, I cant tell ya anything and wont be able to tell ya anything as far as stock. I got Holz LT front end w/ Elkas coming this week hopefully, I'll let ya guys know how that all works out.....

I HATE the e-start so far, but thats probably due to the fact that my last 2 race bike have been kick-start (250R, 450R). Heh, I hoped on my '04 to move it and it fired on the 2nd kick after sitting for over a week....makes a man feel good! I think once I get to really finish breaking it in and put an exhaust on, it'll be better. You can just tell its being bottled up with the stock exhaust/jetting, just like the '04s/'05s.

So far my Laker Custom plastics, quad tech hood, handle bars, AC nerfs, IMS Pegs, LSR axle, LSR anti-fade, and JH Racing steering dampener all fit up. The nerf bars were a battle somewhat but it all worked out.

More in the weeks to come :devil:

Man u dont mess around do u! :devil:

Guys take ur 06 450s to the track if u really wanna be impressed!

RedRacer44
10-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I was mad that I couldnt keep my grab bar. I thought that was really, really stupid how they designed the rear exhaust mount into the grab bar but I'm guessing it offers more stability!

Yeah dude, I dont mess around! I'd probably die if I tried to ride this quad stock...heh, just not used to it! It'll all be done shortly, I cant wait!

chad cavagnaro
10-04-2005, 12:32 PM
i've been reading all the posts on the 06 trx 450 er. trying to decide on the 06 versus saving a bunch on a 05. i own a yfz 450 now and am considering what to get next. i've heard a lot about how easy the 06 trx is to wheelie and frankly this concerns me because racing cross country, wich is what im getting it for, i don't want it to wheelie easy!! going up hills, over logs ect. i want it to stick to the ground and be stable, not the front end coming up on a technical hill climb with roots or trees in the middle of the hill. hope you guys see my concern if you are also x/c racers, whats your thoughts on this. does it feel squirly or will it stick to the ground? and yes i know it will need to be lower for racing, but exactly how easy is it to wheelie?:confused:

thump4863
10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Chad,

I haven't had any problems what so ever with my 04 wheeling up on me. I haven't had one hill at any of the races even make me think I was gonna go over. You would have no problem with an 05 and the wheeling. Call me and I can talk to you about it.

ajr400ex
10-04-2005, 05:18 PM
I raced my '04 for one season on the stock suspension. Wasn't a real big issue but the front is light and not balanced front to rear as well as the YFZ. The 06 should be better in stock trim in this area. I added a + 1 1/4" swingarm which balances the bike out nicely. Shocks will have an impact too. I find a bit more wheel spin with the extended swingarm.

I think I would have to save a bunch on the '05 to consider it over the '06.

Shawn H
10-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Wheeling is not a problem IMO. Once ya throw on some wheels and a bumper you'll be fine>

i dont think mine wheelies to much at all Stock unless you try to make it wheely it will come up>

chad cavagnaro
10-04-2005, 07:12 PM
shawn h.. do you have 06? im asking about the 06 in particular.
i have not heard much about the 04/05 wheelieing, but have read it 2-3 times in the 06 posts, and comments about the engine being set back in the frame. just want to make a better buying decision this time!!!!
on the 05, i'm nervous that i will stall the quad about 1hr. 45 mins. into the race, when my legs are rubber... and have to kick on it and just wanna cry!!! but... i can save only about $4-5 hunnerd between the 2 quads. have a local dealer offering 6548. otd. on 06 model. such a hard decision!!

mills_racing
10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
yes shawn has a 06 he was one of the first i think i know of to get one.

spincr4hire
10-05-2005, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
Yeah, I was mad that I couldnt keep my grab bar. I thought that was really, really stupid how they designed the rear exhaust mount into the grab bar but I'm guessing it offers more stability!

yeah, I don't understand why they did that.

FYI, I installed a Pro Armor pro XC bumper, engine skid, and swingarm skid last night.
They are made for the 04/05 but WILL fit the 06. All went on without any problems. I am going to have to redrill a new hole for the oil drain on the engine skid, though. The thing I like about the Pro Armor swingarm skid is that it has plenty of room for an aftermarket linkage.

jeepnrocks
10-05-2005, 10:29 PM
the front view with the new light looks awesome!!