PDA

View Full Version : Flat Track Racers

grude73
09-29-2005, 01:11 AM
Hi,

Im extremely interested in racing flat track or TT style, but am a complete novice in this area.

Is there any riders here who race or have raced this format who would be interested in giving some advise.

Mostly I need help with bike setup, I would most likely ride the veteran class.

Could someone suggest a bike that would be a suitable start, I cant see my 400ex making it - maybe 250r/450r/yfz ???? What type of shock/Arm setup is common, and I presume a sway bar is considered standard.

I am currently reading the rulebook & hope I will get something from it.

Any & all advise is appreciated....

Thanks

Gareth

kc 300EX
09-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Plenty of people I know race 400EX's. They're not bad on smaller tracks, but on larger ones, it's all about the power. A 450R would be ideal.

For starters, I would go with a good set of tires all around. Brand new they are pretty pricey. Check ebay or the classifieds for a used set.

Front and rear lowering kit is almost a must if you're using stock suspension.

A sway bar is also a must. Check for used ones on ebay or again in the classifieds.

Low and wide is the way to go. Rear axle and ext. a-arms are nice. If you cant afford that then wheel spacers will do you fine. Thats what I run. 2" wheel spacers in the back and offset rims in the front.

baseballplaya23
09-29-2005, 10:48 PM
dont go too low tho cuz if you go to low in the front your quad will just pretty much not turn. to low in the rear and you will constantly spin out. lower your quad so when you are on it and grab the front brakes and push down the a-arms stay straight and so that your frame doesnt go lower then the a-arm mount. get a sway bar, hoosier tires all the way around. some ppl run a stagger like a 10x10x59 on the left rear and a 10x10x61 on the right rear. wheel spacers in the rear if you cant get a wider axle. alot of flat trackers run either +1 or +2 a-arms going wider and some of them run a -1 swinger for better traction. whatever you do get ready to go fasssst and whip it sideways. and hold on and try not to make contact with anyone while sliding hope this helps. any other questions feel free to PM me.

QuadJunkies
09-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by grude73
Hi,

Im extremely interested in racing flat track or TT style, but am a complete novice in this area.

Is there any riders here who race or have raced this format who would be interested in giving some advise.

Mostly I need help with bike setup, I would most likely ride the veteran class.

Could someone suggest a bike that would be a suitable start, I cant see my 400ex making it - maybe 250r/450r/yfz ???? What type of shock/Arm setup is common, and I presume a sway bar is considered standard.

I am currently reading the rulebook & hope I will get something from it.

Any & all advise is appreciated....

Thanks

Gareth

Beating the 450's isnt easy, but an EX can hang!The 450s just have so much TORQUE and POWER! Just go have fun, thats whats most important, I too FT race my 440 ,theres alot of good info on getting your quad dialed in here... ;)
Traction,stability and gearing is ALOT ...

metalmellinium
10-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Ya watch out for people spinning out infront of you too! Make the bottom front of your frame about 8 inchs from the ground, same with the rear of it. I wouldnt stagger till you get some races in.

grude73
10-02-2005, 04:28 PM
I really appreciate the responses so far, I am thinking bout keeping my 400ex and lowering it some & add a swaybar.
If i dont spend much on setting up the bike I can run a few races & see how I do, then maybe change rides.

I really think id like to go with a 250r though, I can get a decent unit for about 4K, but if I buy a 450r I would be spending near 10K after mods & stuff. - shock prices are absolutely stupid.

Gareth

CQR
10-03-2005, 06:43 AM
I run a 250r on a 1/4 mile banked. I am real light(135#) and a -2 is not short enough to keep me from spinning. I run a -3 on a stock width rear axle and +2 arms up front. I don't have to throw the bike sideways in the corners but an able to power all the way through the corner & into the straight. Our classes are open here and the 250 (if ported well), and low gearing, will hang or beat the banshees & raptors here. But you have to shift a lot. The starts on our track are where you can win or lose the race. so make sure you set it up for as little tire spin as possible. Also let me know if you need a lowering kit or sway bar. The wife is done with flattrack so I will be converting her bike for trails.

maggiesboy
10-03-2005, 10:04 PM
I run the same tracks as Metal and Base23, but I'm a lil' bit bigger than they are (I'm a slight 298 pounds!) I'm not a pro class racer, I do not yet have a sway bar (is yours still fo sale metal?) but, and I say but, I'm not the slowest cat in the heat. I've only spun a few times on really loose tracks (sand and horse chit). I've nerver spun on good clay tracks.

Practice as much as you can, and buy good tires!

metalmellinium
10-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Yaaaaaa Buddy its for sale, you talk the wife into getting it yet? Ya monore is about the worst track i have raced, i am not gonna race it this year. Are you gonna race it this year? And you gonna be down at RMC the 15th? Bob and I are gonna have different looking quads by then :blah:
Originally posted by maggiesboy
I run the same tracks as Metal and Base23, but I'm a lil' bit bigger than they are (I'm a slight 298 pounds!) I'm not a pro class racer, I do not yet have a sway bar (is yours still fo sale metal?) but, and I say but, I'm not the slowest cat in the heat. I've only spun a few times on really loose tracks (sand and horse chit). I've nerver spun on good clay tracks.

Practice as much as you can, and buy good tires! :blah:

maggiesboy
10-04-2005, 07:32 AM
I will miss the race on the 15th. I finally going on vacation for the first time in 10 years and I'm not taking the boys! So I'll be in Florence for 6 days learnin' how to ride "dune woolies":D

440ex dragger
10-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Its not so much the power that you have, I mean you still need it, but if your bike is setup with the track then you have a better chance. You need a swaybar, nerfs and a kill swithch if you dont have one. I race a 330R that has +3+1 A-arms and a -3 swingarm I have raced a full season and loved it. I went to Brashear last weekend and raced in the TT national but my R sucked a reed and ended up finishing last. But it is still the most fun that I have had on a quad by any means. And I am ready for next season.

fcku
10-08-2005, 09:58 AM
small tracks power is not all that important . large trackswith long straights is where you will need the power ( paduca ) .I race pro everywhere but the nats and i run A there . IMO you need to only lower about 2 inches . the shorter the swingarm the more traction, but also harder to ride , ALOT harder to ride . I run a extremely short swingarm .I think tires and sway bar are the only real setup you need . Wider is better to an extent .

QuadJunkies
10-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by fcku
small tracks power is not all that important . .
You are very correct on that , but ... Some of the "pull" the newer quads have does make a difference on a Short track , at least on our track pulling out of a corner is tougher than it used to be when your up against those 4 fiddys :macho they just have so much GET UP! :blah: MY quad still hangs with them ,just a little tougher at times

fcku
10-08-2005, 12:17 PM
i have foe fiddies and know what you are saying . traction

maggiesboy
10-09-2005, 08:15 PM
@300 pounds, traction is not too big of a deal with good Hoosier tires!

QuadJunkies
10-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by maggiesboy
@300 pounds, traction is not too big of a deal with good Hoosier tires! lol:p :macho

Chef
10-09-2005, 08:29 PM
The old EX's can still hang pretty good on big tracks...This is the end of the front stretch at Castle Rock (The real Castle Rock, not the oval they got now) Notice the Z400 (Really Z450+) at the edge of the shot.;)

Chef
10-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Big motor, small dry track = Handful.

fcku
10-09-2005, 08:56 PM
they make GOOD HOOSIER tires ?:confused: when did this happen ?

Chef
10-09-2005, 08:59 PM

They are really mini sprint tires...

clarkymckrash
10-09-2005, 08:59 PM

yeah,i'd like a pair:blah:

QuadJunkies
10-09-2005, 09:14 PM
we ran hoosiers on ours and I liked mine.

You stil got that EX?? I still LOVE that thang :devil:

Chef
10-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
we ran hoosiers on ours and I liked mine.

You stil got that EX?? I still LOVE that thang :devil:

Yea...a little rough around the edges these days.

fcku
10-09-2005, 09:50 PM
i know , i was trying to be funny . i dont like the side bite of the hoosiers .:D

smorris
10-09-2005, 11:11 PM
If ya looking for a place to run some tt-- Birch creek motorsports is running this weekend ,(10/15/05) on sat. night. Its the same track we run the national tt race on.Not a huge track so motorwise you dont need a 60 hp atv to run good. I think theres a tt race around nc, and va. for the next 5 weekends in a row.
If you are interested post back on here and I'll get you a schedule posted.BTW -- birch creek race --practice starts around 5
and heats start bout 6- 6:30. Its located in Danville Va.
Bout 15 minutes from the airport.Hope this helps.
Thanks,Scott
PS-- if ya need help with a setup , theres plenty of guys,(and girls too) that are more than willing to help out, just ask!

metalmellinium
10-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Is that # 37 you are in front of?
Originally posted by Chef
The old EX's can still hang pretty good on big tracks...This is the end of the front stretch at Castle Rock (The real Castle Rock, not the oval they got now) Notice the Z400 (Really Z450+) at the edge of the shot.;)

grude73
10-10-2005, 03:00 AM
Hey smorris,

I sure would like to know the schedule, is there a website that keeps up with the tt / flat track schedule & results?

Thanks

Gareth

smorris
10-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Try at atvnc.com we have a whole tt section..I'm not sure bout that particular schedule being on there or not..if its not I'll see about posting it.

maggiesboy
10-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Yup, mini sprint tires!

QuadJunkies
10-10-2005, 09:40 AM
How WIDE does that put your front end at??!!! :eek2:

jshtex
10-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Do you need to do anything special with your shocks, or even left front vs right front? Or front vs rear?

Thanks

clarkymckrash
10-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by jshtex
Do you need to do anything special with your shocks, or even left front vs right front? Or front vs rear?

Thanks

there are too many variables to answer that question correctly,like track surface,track conditions,what tire you run,rider weight,etc....

smorris
10-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Heres the fall schedule....
Fall Series

Round 1 July 30 Triple C Raceway
Round 2 August 6 North Carolina Motorsports Park
Round 3 August 13 Birch Creek Motorsports Park
Round 4 August 27 ECMX – Dixieland Speedway

Round 5 September 3 Triple C Raceway
Round 6 September 17 East Bend Motorsports Park
Round 7
October 8 Triple C Raceway
Round 8 October 15 Birch Creek Motorsports Park
Round 9 October 22 East Bend Motorsports

Round 10 November 5 North Carolina Motorsports Park
Round 11 November 12 ECMX – Dixieland Speedway
*Must run 8 out of 11 to qualify for overall awards

Track Information
Ø Birch Creek Motorsports Park www.birchcreekmotorsportspark.com
Ø ECMX – Dixieland Speedway www.ecmx.com
Ø East Bend Motorsports Park www.eastbendmotorsports.com
Ø Triple C Raceway www.triplecraceway.com
Ø North Carolina Motorsports Park www.ncmotorsportspark.com

smorris
10-10-2005, 01:51 PM
As far as your setup.... There are a lot of variables like he said.
But, if you start out with the bike at somewhere around 47"or 48"
wide and set the bike up kinda low to the ground. Set up your swaybar neutral. This will get you close.Ride height depends on a lot of stuff.If you are a bigger guy a longer swingarm will work ok. If you a skinny fella then you probably need to go about an inch or two shorter.On a slick track raise the bike up some , likewise --a tight track go lower . Then theres air pressure, shock settings, gearing....sounds like a lot, but starting out you can just lower it put on a swaybar and get a close setup and ride.Just have fun and learn from others...Who knows , you might just be a natural.
Good luck , and have fun!Come on out to birch creek this weekend,we'll help you out.

metalmellinium
10-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Damn bill can you get any wider tires in the front? There not suppose to be wider then the rear

Chef
10-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by metalmellinium
Is that # 37 you are in front of?

Yep sure is...next time you see em ask if they remember Donnie Steele...they damn well should.

This is the lap before.

Chef
10-10-2005, 10:24 PM
And the first lap, as in first turn after the holeshot. Notice I am in second. :) So these 3 pictures are in reverse, this was the first pic, then backwards as I pulled away.

metalmellinium
10-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Damn man you look damn fast. That suz has way more money into it then it should. He has a YFZ450 now. You need to get back out there and help me show them whats up ahahah.

maggiesboy
10-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Damn bill can you get any wider tires in the front? There not suppose to be wider then the rear

She sticks really well that way. they are 18-6.5 / 10 on stock shee wheels flipped around. I also have a set of 8" wide wheels from the rear end of an 03' preddy. the front in the pictue is the same width as the rear with running offset spacers.

dirtmomma
10-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Yaaaaaa Buddy its for sale, you talk the wife into getting it yet? Ya monore is about the worst track i have raced, i am not gonna race it this year. Are you gonna race it this year? And you gonna be down at RMC the 15th? Bob and I are gonna have different looking quads by then :blah: :blah:

AHHH yes good ol RMC :D we are going to TRY to make it down there, that is IF we can get the blasty going again :( blew a head gasket now we replaced it, it fired, ran, back fired, died NOW when he kicks it it sounds like the piston is hitting the head?????????????????? ARGGGGG might be a bad crank also we'll see if we can fix it before then but who knows:confused:
Also wanted to take lil man but he has some goodies on the way so if they get here in the next few days we will be installing :devil: Soooo MAYBE we WON'T make it LOL

So your not running Monroe huh thats too bad!! We will be running it again, DJ has alot to accomplish out there :D:D:D his goal for this year is too win the open blaster & 250-350 4 stroke class :macho :blah: WE'll see :D:D

metalmellinium
10-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Ya hope you guys make it out. Its always a fun track to go to.

Chef
10-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Damn man you look damn fast. That suz has way more money into it then it should. He has a YFZ450 now. You need to get back out there and help me show them whats up ahahah.

I had him on his YFZ for 6 laps too until the old air-cooled EX got a little warm...that was the last time I raced the 400. Last time I raced at all was on my 450 and all he could see was number plate.:cool:

baseballplaya23
10-11-2005, 04:57 PM
hey chef when did you have him on his YFZ too? was it at the "rock"

Chef
10-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by baseballplaya23
hey chef when did you have him on his YFZ too? was it at the "rock"

Yep first race of 04 season.

dirtmomma
10-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by jshtex

Thanks

WE do w/ my sons blaster, I think it's the outside stiff & the inside softer :o damn now that I think about it I'm not sure LOL sorry ok but we DO do it :D
We do a little on my 300 but not much otherwise it handles like crap :)

Good luck your gonna LOVE TI!!!!!!