PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2 hot cam?

keihin fcr
09-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I have a stage 1 hotcam in my 426ex. I have 11to1 compression, 39mm fcr keihin carb, big gun cdi, k&n, and a big gun evo x full system. Is there anybody out there who has a stage 2 in there 400ex. I was wondering do you lose any bottom end. With what i have now it has alot of bottom and some top end. This thing is a torque monster. I would like to have some more top without losing to much bottom.

slamdak8782
09-29-2005, 08:34 AM
I have the stage 2. Imo you lose some low end but on the top end you'll need a rev limiter because it rasies that much. All in all ok but the stock cam imo was better for just riding around now I have to work harder. After the top end kicks in though it gets a little scary because there really isnt anywhere you can open it up like that. stage two imo should only be used for mx, or desert riding

Nate408
09-29-2005, 10:27 AM
I run a stage 2 in my ex, stock bore 10.5:1 je piston with c&d thin cometic gaskets. With the added compression you shouldnt lose any low end. I was afraid of that also when putting the cam in mine. Glad i went with the stage 2, no loss of bottom great mid range and top end(pulls to the rev limiter. You could also drop a tooth on the sprocket if you havent already. i run mine with a 14t sprocket most all the time. Only change to 15t when riding backroads etc. Hope that helps.
Nate

keihin fcr
09-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Yeah that helps thx 4 the info guys. Take care of those 400's.

REDRIDDER
03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
I run a stage 1 hot cam in my 426ex,most people would probably disagree with me but my set up is great in the woods, i run 14-39 gearing, i say that the stage 1 is great for my application because when it starts to lose power its like that cam kicks into over drive and brings on the low end i need to pull up hills,mud,and dead stops, but remember though I'm set up for the woods no need for stage 2 hot cam cause its for desert racing higher rpms that's a mid to top end cam when the stage 1 will work down low to mid not really affecting the top end, also i personally think that the white brothers e-series pipe worked exceptionally well because its tunable,also my carb goes great with the pipe and can be tuned in a matter of 15-20 mins without jetting edelbrock carbs have no jets just needles and a huge variety of them to choose from its as simple as 123, 1 needle can be set 32 different ways starting a zero then theirs 16 richer 16 leaner by turning the needle through the top of the carb with the tool it came with, your actually changing the height of needle witch increases or decreases the amount of air and fuel entering the intake, the settings for the accelerator pump are also easy to do.Edelbrock carbs make life so much easier with out having to change from one jet to another jet to get it to run like a raped ape

Got Boost
03-12-2007, 07:32 PM
web cam makes a sweet cam that is kinda in between hc1 & 2, but in my case my s 2 hot cam robbed alot of low end, and gained a ton in the top, the web cam I tried out was god but no where near the top end

BossmanEX
03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Ive got a lot of work in mine including a stage II hot cam. I love it. It does rob a bit of lower end power but if you know how to use the clutch you will never miss it. I havent run into a quad yet where I race that can take me on the top end and trail riding is a blast! Nothing beats hitting a corner, pulling the clutch and giving the throttle a little blast to slide around a tree. It can be a bit tricky the forst time you climb a hill b/c you do have to stay in the throttle or it will bog a bit (at least mine does) but other than that, no complaints or regrets except that I wish I had gne with the newer cam as the older ones can tend to be a bit noisy.

svahle
03-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I have a stage II with 11:1 piston, and some port and polish work. Before the stage II I had the same piston and port/polish work. I don't really feel I lost anything significant off the bottom. I still pull wheelies in the same gears with about the same amount of throttle. But, now I don't run out of gear as fast in the wheelie (I guess if I would balance better it might not matter but that is another issue). The top end of the stage II is great. I agree that a CDI would be helpful to give a higher rev limiter so that the cam can really work. I don't race mx but the quad is set up for it. I mostly ride trails and the occasional dune. I had the same concerns about whether to get a stage I or II. I now have no regrets on my choice. My buddy has a 426ex with stage I and I feel I have just as much low end (of course the engine builder, port work, pipe, etc. certainly comes into play in comparing two quads).

To make a long post slightly longer, I like the stage II and recommend it without reservation.