PDA

View Full Version : 8" or 9"

bigz-71
09-28-2005, 09:12 PM
what is the pluses and minues of 8" wheel and 9" wheel.

i want to buy some wheels and want to know why everyone goes with 8" wheels. i am looking for some wheels for mx. i was thinking about going with 9" inch hipers b/c they dont have the integrated hub.

is it the price of the tires or does a 8" wheel do better for mx?

fasterz
09-28-2005, 09:48 PM
The main advantage of an 8in wheel is more side wall and tire options. The 9in rims tend to have to small of a side wall and like to slide and dont get as good of hook up. I would roccomend going with the 8, there are many more tires you can get in 8 and they are more redily available. As for not wanting an 8in hiper b/c of the integrated hub, ive see 3 of those integrated hubs rip out of the wheel with my own eyes. Supposovly hiper has fixed this problem now but i am not totally sure. I personally stick with aluminum rims.

Jersey450R
09-29-2005, 05:02 AM
general rule of thumb:

8" with 18's
9" with 20's
and 10" with 22's

Notice i said GENERAL.

09-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by fasterz
The main advantage of an 8in wheel is more side wall and tire options. The 9in rims tend to have to small of a side wall and like to slide and dont get as good of hook up. I would roccomend going with the 8, there are many more tires you can get in 8 and they are more redily available. As for not wanting an 8in hiper b/c of the integrated hub, ive see 3 of those integrated hubs rip out of the wheel with my own eyes. Supposovly hiper has fixed this problem now but i am not totally sure. I personally stick with aluminum rims.

Hiper has fixed this problem, the old one was aluminum which would strip out, the new one has a steel insert that isnt going to budge :macho

desratt
09-29-2005, 11:33 PM
for mx I run 18 inch tires on 10 inch hyper rims( not integrated)
desert I run 20 inch tires on 9 inch hiper rims(not integrated)
sand I run 20 inch tires on 10 inch hiper rims( not integrated)