PDA

View Full Version : more from a pred 50?

emaxxjeremy
09-28-2005, 08:43 PM
i bought my son a pred 50 last xmas and he is quickly outgrowing it. its time for more. should i just take the loss and sel it for a 90? or add some mods to pep the 50 up? i looked at hetricks and it looks like nothing is for the pred 50.

Pappy
09-28-2005, 09:35 PM
get the 90. stock it is more then enough and can be made much faster when your kid is ready.

and if you can, try and find a Kasea dealer and check out thier 90 over the Polaris. Not that the Polaris is junk, but the Kasea is a much better starting platform if you have future mods in mind.

Spike99
09-29-2005, 07:22 AM

I would agree with Pappy. If your young rides is getting too physically big for your Pred-50, then dollar per dollar, it might be worth selling it, and upgrading to a 90. To me, the major factor is "current body fit" and expected future growth rate of your young rider.

I hear there are lots of greats brands of 90s on the market today. Much more features and better design then many years ago. Also look at the E-Ton, Dinli and DRR brands. Reverse is a cool feature. Hydro disc brake (especially foot controlled) is a cool feature and for trails, I like DRL (Daytime Running Lights).

If upgrading your Pred-50, do investiage a 70cc upgrade kit. This with many other mods will turn your Pred-50 into an instant wheelie machine. But dollar per dollar, it might cost the same as purchasing a 90.

Hope this helps as well....

qwadfather
09-30-2005, 03:50 PM
To get a bit more zip out of it, you'll need:
1) Cut out the restrictive center on the stock exhaust. Louder but more power. We used a hole saw. (1 1/8th ", I think) You'll have to wiggle the center pipe back and forth to break the supports inside. You'll see what I mean. For a little welding, you can rebuild the tip with a less restrictive tip to cut down on noise.
2) Replace the stock reeds with carbon fiber single petal reeds. Use your stock cage. Get back with me and I'll walk you through modifying tha cage, simple deal.
3) Throw the little airbox on eBay. For some reason they sell. There are probably a million of them laying around the hot rod shops, lol! Replace this airbox with little pod filter of some kind. I got ahold of a neato little carbon fiber look pod that I'm gonna put on our Pred 50.
4) Next replace your CDI box! There is a rev limiter and it does limit!
5) If that's not enough, we can replace the head with a more suitable high compression head.
Still not enough? I'll think of something, lol!
See there is stuff and most of it's pretty reasonable in price.
I'm wondering just how far anyone really wants to go with these little machines. The suspension is only good for so much!
Hope I helped, ride safe, Ed and crew.