PDA

View Full Version : riding without sand tires??

midnight
09-28-2005, 07:58 PM
I was just wondering how good quads ride in the sand without paddle tires??

250r4life
09-28-2005, 10:25 PM
ive seen it done and people do ok, but ive never heard it be reccomended. if youre gunna go a lot i'd definately get em, if youve got a trip this weekend and dont have time to get em before, if i had good knobbies id still go on the trip and pic paddles up later... obviously if knobbies worked just as good then everybody would stick with knobbies... actually ive heard its kinda fun for throwing your back end around...

spud400ex
09-29-2005, 10:14 AM
they do alright, but make sure you drop the tire preasure down to 2.5-3psi first. ive climbed every hill at little sahara on knobies, you just have to keep your momentum up more than if you are running paddles.

jmc400ex02
10-02-2005, 06:55 PM
i rode at silver lake with hole shots and it sucked i got stuck on every hill cuz they dig to much

sand_416ex
10-02-2005, 08:42 PM
you can do it but it sucks and it will wear your tires down faster

Yee-Haw_400EX
10-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by sand_416ex
you can do it but it sucks and it will wear your tires down faster

^ Don't listen to this guy ^

250r4life
10-04-2005, 11:38 AM
i was kind of curious as well when i read that- why would sand wear down your tires faster? i wear my rears down cuz i tune my bike around the street quite a bit, but i cant see why sand would wear down your tires...

426ex
10-04-2005, 01:30 PM
It's actually kinda fun. I rode my son's 400 ex with dirt tires on it last weekend. He got up all the dunes with them, but I liked the way the back end slid around. You can powerslide all day and roost it up. I still like my sandstars better though.

04TRX400EX
10-05-2005, 11:32 PM
What about the fronts? Get the ribbed paddles or whatever to go along with the rears or not necessary?

250r4life
10-05-2005, 11:45 PM
they are really not neccessary... but it all depends on how serious you are, and also what kind of tires you have... for instance, i have holeshot fronts on douglass .190s, and those things are pretty dang heavy and have tons of tread, so i wouldnt want to use those in the dunes... until this year i used my old stock original 250r fronts that are worn down from tuning my bike on the street, and they are pretty light and pretty smooth, so they worked fine... i just bought a set of sandstar fronts on itp rims and they are each .5 lbs lighter than my stockers... i havent been down to gordons well yet to test em out, but ive ridden my buddies 250r with them before and his bike seemed to turn a lot better than mine... if you do use knobbies i would just air them up a lot to try and get the least surface on the sand and get the least drag... if youve got the stock 400ex tires in the front you should be fine... where bout in az are you?

04TRX400EX
10-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
... if youve got the stock 400ex tires in the front you should be fine... where bout in az are you?

Yeah, I have the stock 400EX tires on my quad right now. I have never been to the dunes before and am going with some friends in November to Glamis, so I figured I should get the quad ready. I definately am getting some ITP Sand Stars for the rear, just have to decide about the front. How are the ITP C-Series wheels for dune riding? Too heavy?

I go to ASU and live in Tempe/Scottsdale btw, but my parents, and my quad, live in Anthem. (if you don't know, it's like 2 miles past Carefree going north on the 17)

250r4life
10-06-2005, 11:23 AM
ive got buddies with the c series on sandstars all the way around and they are fine... in fact that buddy who i said i rode and his turns better has exactly that... they are more expensive and i think a little bit heavier, but they look great and work fine... youre gunna love the dunes-no other riding compares... im actually at ASU right now too, only i live in Mesa... be careful at Glamis, there are a bunch of idiots down there...

fasterblaster09
10-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I use wedges in the sand,althouugh I have skat trak paddles(only 6 paddles).But all I do is spin with them,the wedges hook up better for me.But thats only because I need more paddles.But all depends what other tires your using,you should make it up the hills ;)

z400roosteR
10-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I guess that's a good place to learn to ride the sand.....Glamis? some of if not the biggest dunes in America, on a stock bike..Have fun!

250r4life
10-13-2005, 12:40 PM
man, if you know how to ride its not that big of a deal learning how to dune... any good rider will be alright... if he is going on thanksgiving weekend there might be room for concern just cuz theres so many people and a lot of idiots and glamis, however, if he is just careful he'll be alright... but if you think about it, ive been dunin for years and i would take extra caution riding at glamis on a real big weekend... and the fact that he has a stock 400 is not problem, its got enough torque to easily get him anywhere he needs to go...